MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound Healing/Sound Therapy Practitioner
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Sound Healing/Sound Therapy Practitioner
asteraster
Curious if anyone around here does anything like this. I've always thought of my music as meditative or introspective, and potentially useful for healing practices, but lately I've been thinking of doing it more deliberately, perhaps as a profession. I only realized recently that it's an actual thing people do as a job.

My live performances have tended toward this - a kind of guided meditation with long, evolving soundscapes. Modular in particular has been a really powerful tool for creating music that maintains a consistent tonal grounding for inducing a peaceful, meditative state, while also providing plenty of dynamics in the form of modulation and interrelated sequencing of sound events in order to keep things from getting static.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has experience in the field with thoughts/advice.
Spacey Blurr
asteraster wrote:
Curious if anyone around here does anything like this. I've always thought of my music as meditative or introspective, and potentially useful for healing practices, but lately I've been thinking of doing it more deliberately, perhaps as a profession. I only realized recently that it's an actual thing people do as a job.

I too have thought about this and am interested in the idea of events with that kind of intention.
Quote:

Anyway, wondering if anyone has experience in the field with thoughts/advice.

One of the reasons I'm responding is that someone commented on my song:

richard-jones-215 wrote:

ive got tooth ache and headphones on..when i turn everything up..i find this healing

[s]https://soundcloud.com/spaceyblurr/death-by-massage-machine[/s]
asteraster
richard-jones-215 wrote:

ive got tooth ache and headphones on..when i turn everything up..i find this healing

haha that's rad. maybe a certain frequency is vibing with that toothache just right. i could see how those warm fuzzy bass tones could be kind of soothing.
Yasha
Did you hear Darwin Grosse's podcast interview with sound therapist El Larson?

She uses both Tibetan bowls and a modular synth in her work.
asteraster
oh, cool. i follow her on instagram. she's actually one of the people that inspired me to look into this more, so thanks, I'm looking forward to listen to this smile
greyghost
My partner and I have a group down here Los Angeles called Electric Sound Bath where we use modular, singing bowls and electric bass to create therapeutic soundscapes. We have a few monthly events where we work with other facilitators and healers where the response has been positive!

Modular really lends itself to meditative mindsets.

I would suggest talking to meditation facilitators, reiki masters and acupuncturists to start a collaboration.

The Mysticism of Sound and Music by Inayat Khan is essential reading when diving into this world.
Octon
hi,
i'm totally agree with the idea of the modular system & his infinite system of synthesis interact seriously with the tonality of our emotions. i'd like to think of a sort of correspondance between complex, but simple, form (like mandala, snowflake, or fractals) and modulation of modulation hmmm..... .
evrything is ephemere, especially for a musician. the possibilty of a music form reflecting this paradigm i.e a total & randomless musical event, play one time and due to the caracteristics of the modular, never play the same, a complete "musique ephemere". you can record it, but you will never reproduce exactly in a same way : a modular mandala. and for hyperactiv/overanxious guy like me it's a blessing.
few examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-H6M7iZgQk
https://soundcloud.com/user-704389598
asteraster
greyghost I'll check out that book, thank you! Your group sounds rad. Glad you're getting positive responses. I totally agree that modular is really great for meditative mindsets. I have some friends involved in various healing arts, so I'm bouncing stuff off them right now to see if there's musics that work for their practice. I'd like to, one the one hand, provide music for those situations, and, on the other, also create situations that are designed for meditation in which I perform.

Octon I absolutely agree. I love that each interaction with modular can produce different experiences, even within the same patch. You have a very mystical set up! I dig it.

Last summer, I played this patch every night while on tour, but it never came out exactly the same way. Variations in rhythm, different intensities, different mixes, branches of possibilities presenting themselves in the moment... It was really interesting to experience all the different permutations of an idea.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/273610078" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments= true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Octon
i listen your tracks and i think we are in a same way of researching. music in not for Sale. music is over us & music can override our thought. i join a video of my works, essentially here around the 266 module ( in fact a doepfer a-149), and his fantastic possibilitites for " randomiser" the tradition.
i'dlike to align certain value of my modular outs to the numaricous steps of Tarot. random in randomless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WDDMpnxmQk
Tubefund
I am a newbee here and just randomly exploring all the posts on MW. Just posted a link of my first "drone" like recording but perhaps i should had post that link here. After reading a discussion on the dutch synthforum about different tunings and how they supposed to be more resonant with the human body and all i just wanted to experiment it myself. It actually turned out in a 15 minutes scape like piece which is not that great but somehow deleting the file was too easy. Recently tried out bandcamp and just put it there.
Have a listen if you like and feel free to comment.

https://fouro3.bandcamp.com/track/unguided-meds-secret-freq-pt1?from=s earch&search_item_id=2816653838&search_item_type=t&search_match_part=% 3F&search_page_id=163075533&search_page_no=1&search_rank=2&search_sig= 8b1776afb8d568ad033d70a274091472

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 track=2816653838 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=e99708]
Tubefund
Oeps double post
CopperHydra
The best sound healing I've had was from a friend of a friend. She only used her voice though. Once, she helped his shoulder surgery heal in miracle time but singing into his back. Another time, he didn't need surgery but it was right after he got hit by a car right in front of me. She really knew what she was doing. She'd put in decades of study and had a doctorate from Princeton University.

The worst sound healing I've had was unexpected and uncalled for. A guy who was trying to impress a friend of mine on her birthday after falling in love with her after meeting her 30 minutes prior began to do his sound healing on her. He instructed us to join in which became a tone-deaf choir of rain forest wildlife and this went on for about 20min. d'oh! help w00t

After that was over she asked him where he learned his practice from and he replied with a story of how he just made it all up meditating in the woods, somewhere, the year before. Dead Banana

So my point is that there's a lot of amazing possibilities if you can find the right people. I don't feel like I can tell you what to do since I have a meager memory of the talks with my friend's friend but I will ask you, please, don't be "that guy" Dead Banana

I share these stories because it's all I've got to offer. My friend and I had a falling out after his behavior at my boyfriend's house. I had yet to ask for a good text or other resource for sound healing from the woman that helped heal us. Otherwise, I'd share. If anything changes, I'll post here.

Oh, and for calming people down, making them feel more comfortable or helping them sleep: soft pads, gongs and low tuned soft mallet-struck bell sounds work well.
strat_barrett
Glad to know others are using modular in a sound healing framework, I've recently started experimenting in this area after some time working with bhakti yoga and mantra using a harmonium and voice, my modular system has found its way into the set up but it's a challenge to make it feel really integrated coming through normal speakers, I plan to experiment using resonant materials / structures with surface transducer attached
SwastikaGirl
I've seen you and Angie play a few times in LA in a soundbayh type environment and through a DubLab event, really great stuff. greyghost
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1