MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deepmind 12 Released
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Deepmind 12 Released
Synthtopian
Deep Mind 12 Release and Shipping. My Sweetwater Salesman Roq Martin Called me today and told me he got delivery for the DeepMind 12, and asked if I wanted to buy and test one out. I said Sure. So one coming my way after the weekend. So Ill leave so my feedback here comparing it to my other 20 plus keyboard synths. I told that the build is decent and the sound is derived from Juno 106 and sounds like Juno 60. In fact there is a YouTube video doing a side by side of this.
Well for users looking to get one they are out there, I see Ebay marking them up to make a profit. But sweetwater had 200 of them 5 hours ago.
When I get mine Ill do my best of what I think and answer any questions with no bias.
Thanks Guys
tdutz
Thanks for the heads up on this!
cscairney
cool thanks for the news
facklr
Mine gets here Monday!
Astronaut FX
Mine is waiting for me at the FedEx store. Leaving work now!
kindredlost
Mine was shipped yesterday so I hope to have it by Monday. I am interested in how it compares to the Roland System 8's Juno 106 plugout.
Synthtopian
Glad to give heads up. Im hoping when mine comes it is what they are claiming.
Synthtopian
Astronaut FX wrote:
Mine is waiting for me at the FedEx store. Leaving work now!

Cant wait to hear your opinion!!!
Astronaut FX
So far I've only spent about two hours with it. My initial plan was to quickly run through some of the presets, and then dive into creating some patches from scratch. But each preset I called up ended up coaxing me into a mini composing session. I got a little over halfway through one bank of patches, and only scratched the surface of some tweaking.

One thing that really stands out, is just how much movement you can create within a patch. The modulation and fx options are so deep, that it's just so easy to get lost (in a good way) in the textures it's capable of creating.

Too soon to report back on programming from scratch, but I plan to dig in tomorrow. So far, no regrets, and it seems to be meeting/exceeding expectations.

Externally, the build quality seems quite sound. At least as sound as anything else on the market today. It doesn't have the feel of cheapness that I think some expected from Behringer. It seems pretty obvious that they wanted this product to be special.
Synthtopian
Astronaut FX wrote:
So far I've only spent about two hours with it. My initial plan was to quickly run through some of the presets, and then dive into creating some patches from scratch. But each preset I called up ended up coaxing me into a mini composing session. I got a little over halfway through one bank of patches, and only scratched the surface of some tweaking.

One thing that really stands out, is just how much movement you can create within a patch. The modulation and fx options are so deep, that it's just so easy to get lost (in a good way) in the textures it's capable of creating.

Too soon to report back on programming from scratch, but I plan to dig in tomorrow. So far, no regrets, and it seems to be meeting/exceeding expectations.

Externally, the build quality seems quite sound. At least as sound as anything else on the market today. It doesn't have the feel of cheapness that I think some expected from Behringer. It seems pretty obvious that they wanted this product to be special.

Awesome! I just found out mine is delivered, but cant get to it till later or Monday to check out. Glad to hear it is not a light weight thin plastic POS and the presets are keeping you interested. Cant wait to play mine. lets us know more if you can. As soon as I open mine Ill do the same.
To other users Sweetwater got more and they are available.
Thank You
seanpark
How is the keybed?
drowld
Astronaut FX wrote:

Yeah it's really what seems to stand in the last demo.
Some amazing mooves in the pads. Really lush and evolving. Beasty This is fun!
Astronaut FX
seanpark wrote:
How is the keybed?

IMO, the keybed is as good/bad as any other synth I've had my hands on. I basically have two other keybeds here at the moment for comparison, an Arturia KeyLab49 and a Korg Triton Extreme.

The three are fairly close. All are equally "loud" from a mechanical standpoint. The DM12 does have a very subtle "metallic echo" but it it's not what I'd consider distracting or obnoxious. The DM12 is a bit stiffer than the KeyLab49, but that could be because of their difference in age. The Korg has a bit of a quicker "bounce back" upon releasing the key compared to the DM12.

Overall, I feel like the DM12 keys are perfectly fine. I've seen some complain about the metallic echo, but I only hear it with the volume all the way down.

The overall build, at least externally, is impressive. It's all metal casing, with only the keys and slider caps being plastic. I can't tell if the end cheeks are actually wood or not. I'm pretty sure they aren't wood. I turned it upside down and tried to push my thumbnail in to see if it would make an indent as you would expect wood to do, but no indent.

The two knobs are excellent. The wheels are large with no slop. They don't have any rubberized coating, which I prefer, but the size helps make them easier to use. The sliders have a bit of sideways slop to them, but the travel is pretty smooth, and surprisingly consistent from one to the other. They are as good or better than what I would expect from a synth at this price point.

I really like the overall compactness and layout of the controls. One picky complaint, the octave indicator lights are closest to the arpeggiator buttons, instead of the octave buttons. I find myself going for the arp buttons, but I suppose I'll get used to that with time.

There are several vents across the back and on the bottom, so I suspect you could safely run it without the fan. At the default level, you can hear the fan, but it isn't what I'd consider obnoxious. I haven't played with the fan settings yet.
Synthtopian
Astronaut FX wrote:
seanpark wrote:
How is the keybed?

IMO, the keybed is as good/bad as any other synth I've had my hands on. I basically have two other keybeds here at the moment for comparison, an Arturia KeyLab49 and a Korg Triton Extreme.

The three are fairly close. All are equally "loud" from a mechanical standpoint. The DM12 does have a very subtle "metallic echo" but it it's not what I'd consider distracting or obnoxious. The DM12 is a bit stiffer than the KeyLab49, but that could be because of their difference in age. The Korg has a bit of a quicker "bounce back" upon releasing the key compared to the DM12.

Overall, I feel like the DM12 keys are perfectly fine. I've seen some complain about the metallic echo, but I only hear it with the volume all the way down.

The overall build, at least externally, is impressive. It's all metal casing, with only the keys and slider caps being plastic. I can't tell if the end cheeks are actually wood or not. I'm pretty sure they aren't wood. I turned it upside down and tried to push my thumbnail in to see if it would make an indent as you would expect wood to do, but no indent.

The two knobs are excellent. The wheels are large with no slop. They don't have any rubberized coating, which I prefer, but the size helps make them easier to use. The sliders have a bit of sideways slop to them, but the travel is pretty smooth, and surprisingly consistent from one to the other. They are as good or better than what I would expect from a synth at this price point.

I really like the overall compactness and layout of the controls. One picky complaint, the octave indicator lights are closest to the arpeggiator buttons, instead of the octave buttons. I find myself going for the arp buttons, but I suppose I'll get used to that with time.

There are several vents across the back and on the bottom, so I suspect you could safely run it without the fan. At the default level, you can hear the fan, but it isn't what I'd consider obnoxious. I haven't played with the fan settings yet.

Thanks for review. Mine is here And I get get to it till Monday Grr I sent to my studio instead my house.
Would you say the sound is warm or it reflects a vet or modeling type sound? I hoping it has a uniqueness different then all the other classic and modern synths i have. If it sounds like a Juno 60 no emulated that would be great.
Thanks
SnakePlissken
Shame these are not available in Australia. I would prefer a desktop which Uli has suggested a run of
Astronaut FX
Synthtopian wrote:

Thanks for review. Mine is here And I get get to it till Monday Grr I sent to my studio instead my house.
Would you say the sound is warm or it reflects a vet or modeling type sound? I hoping it has a uniqueness different then all the other classic and modern synths i have. If it sounds like a Juno 60 no emulated that would be great.
Thanks

It definitely seems to have more character, warmth, and depth than VSTs or modeling. I had a Juno 106 years ago, and at least from the standpoint of my aging memory, the Juno 106 character is in the DM12, but the DM12 certainly goes much further.

Having wanted for several years now to pick up another 106 (should never have sold it), but being leery of maintaining vintage gear, I bought a JU06 when they came out. It was close enough for nostalgia, but the DM12 will absolutely make the JU06 a future "for sale" item.

The DM12 is a real synth. It has the spirt of a Juno rattling around inside, but it certainly seems to have its own character as well, and it certainly isn't the character of a cheap knockoff synth. I was genuinely concerned that it would be. I'm happy to have made the leap of faith.
Synthtopian
Astronaut FX wrote:
Synthtopian wrote:

Thanks

It definitely seems to have more character, warmth, and depth than VSTs or modeling. I had a Juno 106 years ago, and at least from the standpoint of my aging memory, the Juno 106 character is in the DM12, but the DM12 certainly goes much further.

Having wanted for several years now to pick up another 106 (should never have sold it), but being leery of maintaining vintage gear, I bought a JU06 when they came out. It was close enough for nostalgia, but the DM12 will absolutely make the JU06 a future "for sale" item.

The DM12 is a real synth. It has the spirt of a Juno rattling around inside, but it certainly seems to have its own character as well, and it certainly isn't the character of a cheap knockoff synth. I was genuinely concerned that it would be. I'm happy to have made the leap of faith.

Great sounds like what I was hoping for. I was so afraid that it sounded like a toy rather then a true analog synth. I was hoping it carried the j-60 sounds. I t was supposed to be built out of england on the J-106 hardwiring and using those vintage companies for parts.. so maybe we have a keeper
kindredlost
A quick demo of how close I could get it to the classic Jupiter 4 through a Space Echo and Maestro PS-1A phase shifter. A combination I use to use all the time.

Three tracks in Cubase...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/302840001" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

The keyboard has a good action and the aftertouch is similar to the Prophet '08 to me. I still prefer a little stiffer action but it is very well made from what I can feel.

The volume and portamento knobs above the control wheels are a little close to the upper chassis for my medium sized fingers but that is splitting hairs.

I am exactly like Astronaut FX. I have made some patch adjustments but have had more fun just piecing together quick one-off pieces from the enormous array of very well made preset patches on board by some of the best patch makers around. This thing is a pad monster and perfectly at home as an ambient sound generator too.
numan7
applause beautiful demo, kindredlost! we're not worthy

cheers
kindredlost
Why is it every time I make something I really like you are always there to comment numan7?

The DM12 is really special. Full of bugs right now? - yes, unfortunately. But it is a powerful & classic synth with outstanding FX and enormous polyphony. Uli Behringer has made a heroic effort to bring his first-born polysynth to the market in a bigger-than-life way. It really is quite stunning and inspirational.
dubonaire
kindredlost wrote:
A quick demo of ...

Really lovely!
Fiddlestickz

all these are made with Deepmind 12 only..
amnesia
Fiddle how much is it in oz?
Stides
kindredlost wrote:
Why is it every time I make something I really like you are always there to comment numan7?

The DM12 is really special. Full of bugs right now? - yes, unfortunately. But it is a powerful & classic synth with outstanding FX and enormous polyphony. Uli Behringer has made a heroic effort to bring his first-born polysynth to the market in a bigger-than-life way. It really is quite stunning and inspirational.

What's a quick rundown of the bugs?
Fiddlestickz
No bugs that I can find in mine, some are having notes hanging, there was a firmware update 2 days ago that fixes it though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7