MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

"Pin Header" music devices and modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author "Pin Header" music devices and modules
TitoCas
Just for the sake of curiosity and for historical archive, I'm trying to list the "pin header music device" that comes up little by little in the market. Would you like to help complete this list ? meh
Thanks mates!

(The issue/release dates could be not precise because, sometimes I found it on the relative website, but otherwise, I look for the oldest record on the web. Let me know if you know any mistake. Date format: dd-mm-yyyy)

Stand alone musical device:
Sonoio - SuONOIO: 13-10-2010
Anyware-Instruments - Tinysizer: xx-xx-2010
Dirty Electronics - Mute Synth I: 13-06-2011
Casper Electronics - Nova Drone: 1-5-2012
Olegtron* - 4060: xx-03-2013
Moog - Werkstatt-01: xx-xx-2014
Elliot Williams - Klangorium: 29-06-2015
Sound Machines - NS1 Nanosynth: xx-xx-2015
Dirty Electronics - Mute Synth II: 11-09-2015
Bastl instruments - Kastle Synth: 6-10-2016
Synaesthesia - Moduletta: 31-03-2016
Bastl instruments x Casper Electronics - Bit Ranger: xx-xx-2016
Anyware-Instruments - Minysizer: xx-xx-2016
Folktek - Mescaline: 23-03-2017
Bastl x Casper Electronics - SoftPop: xx-xx-2017
Bastl instruments - Kastle V1.5: xx-01-2018
Ellitone - Multi-Synth: 10-08-2018
Nondestructive - Kasseta: 31-08-2018
Olegtron* - 4060 mkii: xx-xx-2018

Eurorack:
Addac System - ADDAC210 Open Heart Surgery: xx-08-2014
Folktek - Matter: 20-12-2015
Folktek - Conduit: 30-04-2016
Folktek - Resist: 30-04-2016
Medigrade Modular - Taliesynth: xx-xx-2017
Medigrade Modular - Druidfilter: xx-xx-2017
Dovemans - Ants: 29-09-2017
Error Instruments - Tropical Fish: 30-04-2018
Olegtron* - 4060e: 09-09-2018
Dich Studios - Bastion: 04-12-2018

Other modular:
Tangible Waves - AE modular synthesizer: 15-11-2016

Dedicated prototyping devices:
Beavis Audio - Beavis board: xx-06-2008
Bastl instruments x Casper Electronics - OMSynth miniLab: xx-xx-2015
Macrofab - FX development board: 12-04-2016
Dich Studios - Portaspilli: 05-12-2018

Interfaces:
Teenage Engineering - Oplab: 20-01-2012

Video Synths:
Gieskes - 3TrinsRGB+1c : xx-09-2014
Pase
Anyware Instruments Tynisizer:
https://www.anyware-instruments.de/tinysizer/
& Minisizer:
https://www.anyware-instruments.de/
Pase
SuONOIO synth too.
smirky
Dirty Electronics / Mute Synth?

I think the first edition came out around October 2014, but I could be way off.
calaveras
doesnt Teenage Engineering have a 'hack kit' that interfaces with the OP1?
whoops
discontinuity
https://teenage.engineering/products/oplab
TitoCas
Wow, I just forgot the Anyware Instruments super cool devices!
Also I was thinking about male header but there is to list the MuteSynth and also the suONOIO (that I din't know before).

It is strange that this "format" is not so widely spread. Too tiny?

Thanks guys! Keep the list growing!
Sperrle
Casper electronics Nova Drone
http://casperelectronics.com/finished-pieces/nova-drone/
SoundPool
TitoCas wrote:
It is strange that this "format" is not so widely spread. Too tiny?


I get that people like fun and compact little doodads but I really feel the opposite - I really dislike the fact that this seems to be becoming popular and I really hope it doesn't continue to grow. I don't have any of these devices so I can't speak first hand aside from that working on breadboards and with headers is a royal pain. I can't imagine why you would want your finished instrument to feel the same way as doing circuit prototyping. I'm also HIGHLY suspicious about the longevity of such headers/pins and the difficulty in replacing them on such crammed devices, much less their reliability in performance situations.

Ever see someone who is nervous or unsure of themselves perform on a modular? Its a painful thing to sit there and watch someone struggle and fumble in a pile of spaghetti. Now shrink that set up and make the connections easier to unplug... nope. I saw someone giving what I understood was their first performance in front of a few people using a Bit Ranger last year and they were understandably nervous. Watching them shake like a leaf while trying to patch on those little pin headers was like pulling teeth. If people can deal with navigating this stuff I suppose more power to them but I find the ever shrinking finger space in Euro frustrating enough already.
starthief
SoundPool wrote:
Ever see someone who is nervous or unsure of themselves perform on a modular? Its a painful thing to sit there and watch someone struggle and fumble in a pile of spaghetti. Now shrink that set up and make the connections easier to unplug...


I would definitely not livepatch with a Kastle (probably the smallest one of these). Sample a loop, sure -- I've done that many times with the Olegtron 4060.

MAYBE patch it and leave it alone during a set, but as you say, it's very easy to knock the tiny wires out. Still, it's incredibly fun and cheap.
TitoCas
starthief wrote:
SoundPool wrote:
Ever see someone who is nervous or unsure of themselves perform on a modular? Its a painful thing to sit there and watch someone struggle and fumble in a pile of spaghetti. Now shrink that set up and make the connections easier to unplug...


I would definitely not livepatch with a Kastle (probably the smallest one of these). Sample a loop, sure -- I've done that many times with the Olegtron 4060.

MAYBE patch it and leave it alone during a set, but as you say, it's very easy to knock the tiny wires out. Still, it's incredibly fun and cheap.


totally agree...
TitoCas
Sperrle wrote:
Casper electronics Nova Drone
http://casperelectronics.com/finished-pieces/nova-drone/


added cool
mamonu
i wonder where i could find patchcables for these:
i mean

Pin Header to Pin Header

Pin Header to mini-jack
mamonu
anyone?
TitoCas
mamonu wrote:
i wonder where i could find patchcables for these:
i mean

Pin Header to Pin Header

Pin Header to mini-jack


For the pin header to pin header, there are many website... e-bay and aliexpress and a lot of electronic components websites. Look for "wire jumpers, male to male, male to female, female to female"

For a "Pin Header to mini-jack" there is the "problem" of ground. In the headers you have only one pole, but minijack have two pole (tip and GND). So, the best you can do is a pin header to banana cable.
If you need a pin header to jack pacth cable, you must find a way to connect the ground of the two device you want to join.
TitoCas
Added two new item to the list:
Mescaline and softPop
Dekatron
On the hackaday site, A Circuit board that has a whole set of mini-lessons that have particular focus (like say the 4017 chip) made by Eliot Williams called the Klangorium has its affiliated files for DL in an online repository. Nobody (not the creator himself) has really made these available, though I found one for sale on eBay being advertised as a tool to help you to learn to develop synth stuff, including modular gear. I've spent a good 18 months now trying to set aside time to learn enough to feel competent enough to make a few modules 'a-la-DIY kits', and if I may say so, this Klangorium board would be the EPITOME of what a 'pin-header' synth could look like. Also in addition to Casper's Nova Drone, he has his BitLab kit. I've seen a few neat boards called the Lush One DIY synth that would definitely fall into this category. There's the ADDAC Eurorack module called 'Open Heart Surgery, looks pretty interesting. I agree with this guy who sold me the Klangorium, that this can be a great tool in learning to develop modules by first noodling on these great tools. It's given me the confidence that even I might someday actually have decent module-prototyping skill, and that's valuable to me, knowing that my interest in synthesis has led me to the naked core of a skill set, an interest gone obsession gone further still onto a Vocation...
ju4n
In the video synth arena there's the Gieskes / Bleep Labs 3TrinsRGB+1c
TitoCas
Dekatron wrote:
On the hackaday site, A Circuit board that has a whole set of mini-lessons that have particular focus (like say the 4017 chip) made by Eliot Williams called the Klangorium has its affiliated files for DL in an online repository. Nobody (not the creator himself) has really made these available, though I found one for sale on eBay being advertised as a tool to help you to learn to develop synth stuff, including modular gear. I've spent a good 18 months now trying to set aside time to learn enough to feel competent enough to make a few modules 'a-la-DIY kits', and if I may say so, this Klangorium board would be the EPITOME of what a 'pin-header' synth could look like. Also in addition to Casper's Nova Drone, he has his BitLab kit. I've seen a few neat boards called the Lush One DIY synth that would definitely fall into this category. There's the ADDAC Eurorack module called 'Open Heart Surgery, looks pretty interesting. I agree with this guy who sold me the Klangorium, that this can be a great tool in learning to develop modules by first noodling on these great tools. It's given me the confidence that even I might someday actually have decent module-prototyping skill, and that's valuable to me, knowing that my interest in synthesis has led me to the naked core of a skill set, an interest gone obsession gone further still onto a Vocation...


Hi Dekatron, thanks for reacall in my memory the super cool project from Elliot!
The Klangorium is a really nice mini synth for learning and teaching also!
The other synth you are speaking about, doesn't seems to me to have any "pin -header" connection smile
TitoCas
ju4n wrote:
In the video synth arena there's the Gieskes / Bleep Labs 3TrinsRGB+1c



Video synth are welcome, new category added!
bcomnes
Hey these work great

bcomnes wrote:
Dupont Cable female to 3.5mm TRS male adapters like this are about $1.50 on eBay


TitoCas
Added Moduletta by Synaesthesia, an electro-music user.
This is not a commercial synth, but schematics are available at the em forum

applause
darenager
I had some Klangorium PCBs made up a while back, it is a lot of fun for sure, good for experimenting and even prototyping, it is like a mini lunetta style modular groovebox - well grooveboard I guess.

I have a couple of spare unpopulated boards available for £20 each plus postage, they are white as I found it easier to read the text, I need to write up a BOM as Elliot never published one AFAIK.

Here are a few examples from my instagram:

https://instagram.com/p/BTycjtgDNMa/
https://instagram.com/p/BTyRZdODZiL/
https://instagram.com/p/BT7lteQDIGG/
TitoCas
darenager wrote:
....
I have a couple of spare unpopulated boards available for £20 each plus postage...


ohh sir, you are tempting me. I was looking for a black one, and my backlog is going to be a little big very frustrating
TitoCas
Added Taliesynth and Druidfilter by Medigrade Modular (Caravandal).

Very interesting the way he putted in for save the patches. Really smart!
TitoCas
added Bastl - Kastle V1.5
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group