MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Something for the New Year: Suiseki Phase Shifter in 4HP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Something for the New Year: Suiseki Phase Shifter in 4HP
oldcrow
Heya folks, while in the midst of building Crowminius units I took a short break from the solder fumes to get my euro 4HP version of the vintage Small Stone phase shifter made. More info here:

http://www.cs80.com/modu/Phase/

Now back to soldering... SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo nanners Dead Banana

Crow
/**/
calaveras
Eurorack or 4RU?

It says 15v power in the build doc.
oldcrow
It is Eurorack 4HP, but it will also run on +-15V. --Crow

calaveras wrote:
Eurorack or 4RU?

It says 15v power in the build doc.
calaveras
so no to +/-12v?
AlanP
The last thing I need is another phaser... ah, who'm I kidding?
calaveras
AlanP wrote:

Kirk never said 'fire on them with our one phaser'.
It was always 'phasers' plural.
How else will your rack defend itself against the Borg filter?
AlanP
My kit stash is lousy with DIY'ed phasers. I've got two Doppelgangers, two Infinitphases, a Tau Pipe, a NLC 329 Phase/Flange, a Maestro Stage, a weird six LDR one LED thing, and a Phase 45 clone knocking around.

But I'm still getting this one too.
calaveras
when is one of these guys going to get off their ass and make a photon torpedo module?
oldcrow
It runs on anything from +-8v to +-15v. This includes +-12v. SlayerBadger!

calaveras wrote:
so no to +/-12v?
oldcrow
I made this one because I made a 10HP module version of Jan Ostmann's Solina string circuit and decided 70s stringbox needed 70s phase shifter. SlayerBadger!

I have to tweak the string module a bit but I'll eventually offer that one too.

AlanP wrote:
diablojoy
Seems unlike some I don't yet have enough phasers.

ordered thumbs up

I will want the solina as well once you have tweaked it.
flts
Depth about 6-7cm I guess? smile Might get a set or two...
oldcrow
Mounted depth is 51mm. SlayerBadger!

flts wrote:
Depth about 6-7cm I guess? smile Might get a set or two...
mbroers
looks and sounds sweet, ordered!
Dcramer
oldcrow wrote:
I made this one because I made a 10HP module version of Jan Ostmann's Solina string circuit and decided 70s stringbox needed 70s phase shifter. SlayerBadger!

AlanP wrote:

Solina String circuit! woah
masterofstuff124
waiting on the string synth module then will get both at the same time! really looking forward to these. I see there are some tweaks for a more univibe sound?> any demos.
oldcrow
It is a microcontroller-based tone generator:

https://janostman.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-very-own-string-synt h/

I made a 10HP module variant.

Dcramer wrote:
oldcrow wrote:

AlanP wrote:

Solina String circuit! woah
oldcrow
I have about 75% of the Suiseki orders sent out, the remainder ship this week. Meanwhile, I am building a couple more. One is for Robert (Rich) and the other is for my testing of the univibe-style tuning capacitor values.

Here they are with all the flat-mounted resistors, the OTAs, and a few extra parts as I build from lowest seated height to highest. I show both the 10-pin and 16-pin power header options. More soon! SlayerBadger!

Whelm
eek!

Ordered
oberkorn
ordered also

are you going to offer the janost string synth also or was it for yourself only?
oldcrow
I'll offer the 10HP board and panel set. I just have to wait out the Chinese New Year for ordering boards. w00t

oberkorn wrote:
ordered also

are you going to offer the janost string synth also or was it for yourself only?
Whelm
Got my board in the mail, very excited to build it Mr. Green

I have what might be a dumb question.

How important is it to use carbon film resistors rather than metal film? Would be nice to use my stockpile as much as possible, but don't want to compromise what seems to be a lovely design. Do the carbon film resistors contribute much to the tone?

It seems carbon resistors are more susceptible to drift and whatnot, which I suppose is desirable in this case?
oldcrow
The original small stone used carbon resistors, but you can build it with metal film just fine. I used some 1% values here and there myself simply because I didn't have those values in 5%. --Crow

Whelm wrote:
Got my board in the mail, very excited to build it Mr. Green

I have what might be a dumb question.

How important is it to use carbon film resistors rather than metal film? Would be nice to use my stockpile as much as possible, but don't want to compromise what seems to be a lovely design. Do the carbon film resistors contribute much to the tone?

It seems carbon resistors are more susceptible to drift and whatnot, which I suppose is desirable in this case?
4floorsofwhores
oldcrow wrote:

AlanP wrote:

I need both of these in my life smile
edit: wow, postage is too expensive. sorry
Peake
"Suiseki in Japanese refers to a decorative formation of small stones." EH, I see what you did there. cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3