MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-3/6 vs. ES-8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-3/6 vs. ES-8
jwise
I'm about to try to get my DAW (Bitwig) on Windows 10 to talk to my modular hardware. The UAD Apollo Twin Duo is not up for the job as it has only one ADAT in (I've already asked Black Lion if they could mod it, but they cannot as there's not enough room in the case).

So the first question is if I purchase a Motu Ultralite MK4 I'll get 2 ADAT's (1 in and 1 out) along with 8 CV outs and 6 ins - can I simultaneously use the 8 CV outs and then feed the ADAT's to the ES-3 and ES-6 for more IO?

If instead I opted for the Motu 828x how would having 4 ADAT's (2 in and 2 out) along with 8 CV outs and 8 CV ins create a better situation?

And then with the 828x, would I need two ES-3's and two ES-6's to best take advantage of the twin ADAT's?

The other option I was considering was going with the ES-8 which is a lot cheaper than the Motu 828x and then getting rid of the Apollo so I can get those ADAT ins and outs from the Ultralite MK4.
os
The MOTU by itself will not give you CV inputs - the inputs are not DC coupled.

Quote:
can I simultaneously use the 8 CV outs and then feed the ADAT's to the ES-3 and ES-6 for more IO?

Yes.

Quote:
how would having 4 ADAT's (2 in and 2 out) along with 8 CV outs and 8 CV ins create a better situation?

You'd have more inputs and outputs.

Quote:
would I need two ES-3's and two ES-6's to best take advantage of the twin ADAT's?

Yes.
MrBoogie
I've almost the same question. I already have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with ADAT ports. Still not sure if I'll get the ES-8 er the ES-3 ES-6 combo. What did you go for and why?
jzwoopwoop
MrBoogie wrote:
I've almost the same question. I already have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with ADAT ports. Still not sure if I'll get the ES-8 er the ES-3 ES-6 combo. What did you go for and why?

I just upgraded to the 18i20 (1st gen) and as a Mac user, I did not even for a second contemplate getting the ES-8.

If you get the ES-8, you'll need to be managing two separate audio devices, which on a Mac means creating an aggregate device. I know that's not the biggest deal in the world, but I prefer to avoid that method if I can.

With the ES-3/ES-6 combo, you're basically just taking advantage of the ADAT ins and outs on the 18i20. Couldn't be more convenient. Not to mention that combo is cheaper than the ES-8.

To me, the only reason one would get the ES-8 over ES-3/ES-6 is if your audio interface doesn't have ADAT ports. That's not an issue for the 18i20.
DoubleStop
jzwoopwoop wrote:
MrBoogie wrote:

I just upgraded to the 18i20 (1st gen) and as a Mac user, I did not even for a second contemplate getting the ES-8.

If you get the ES-8, you'll need to be managing two separate audio devices, which on a Mac means creating an aggregate device. I know that's not the biggest deal in the world, but I prefer to avoid that method if I can.

With the ES-3/ES-6 combo, you're basically just taking advantage of the ADAT ins and outs on the 18i20. Couldn't be more convenient. Not to mention that combo is cheaper than the ES-8.

To me, the only reason one would get the ES-8 over ES-3/ES-6 is if your audio interface doesn't have ADAT ports. That's not an issue for the 18i20.

Gulp! Here is the problem I am just discovering...You are lucky to have That Scarlet I8120... it's got 2 lightpipe ports. Yikes... I have 2 computers and 2 interfaces.. My PC has a Saffire Pro 40.. That's good. My Mac has a Saffire Pro 24.. BAD! only one ADAT Input port. (Ouch!) I'm noticing that most low to mid priced Audio interfaces only have ADAT input ..if at all. sad banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1