MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MakeNoise Morphagene
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next [all]
Author MakeNoise Morphagene
Kingnimrod
Just saw this. Can't wait to take it for a spin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPdHLZ4j4Yx/
erstlaub
Where the screws you can see are I can't help but wonder if it's a standalone gene in the vein of the 0-coast?

We'll find out soon I suppose...

EDIT: NVM, I think that's the module over I'm seeing the screw on.
intuitionnyc
Wallet drainer.

I never got a phonogene and was kinda sad. This might do smile
richc90
Very good call on the CV out, which I'm assuming is an envelope follower. The "morph" controller is intriguing --- between what? splices, loops? --- as is the "reel" light....

Now on MN instagram.
chapelier fou
Well. So i bought a phonogene, a few years ago, quite expensive. Then i had to pay for a firmware upgrade. Then to buy this ? And nobody will buy my Phonogene in the second hand market ? Tired of this way of thinking.
intuitionnyc
It strikes me as something that is very similar to the Nebulae. I had a Nebulae and based on the module look and design, it seems very similar. Stereo ins and outs is really cool though.
Oldstench
chapelier fou wrote:
Well. So i bought a phonogene, a few years ago, quite expensive. Then i had to pay for a firmware upgrade. Then to buy this ? And nobody will buy my Phonogene in the second hand market ? Tired of this way of thinking.

Did the release of this break your Phonogene? Is it suddenly unusable due to this things creation? If the answer to both of those questions is no, I'd suggest relaxing and not forcing yourself to buy the latest and greatest every time something new is released.

That way madness lies.
stega
chapelier fou wrote:

Its called being satisfied with the product on launch. If you were happy then, anything extra is just that, extra..
ym2612
I do see screws.

Also, the platform Phonogene was built on is showing its age, and development of embedded platforms has been rapid. I find an update/revision to be welcome.

Stereo! MicroSD slot! More visual feedback!
tonymatte
I see a USB hub w00t

Edit: I mean SD card.
wildfrontiers
Of course I just bought a Phonogene. hihi

Though I'm not even sure it's workflow is for me and I bought used.

This looks awesome though
nectarios
Was missing the Phonogene to complete my Make Noise system.
Guess I will never "complete" it now applause
richc90
chapelier fou wrote:

Updates happen, it's one of those things. I understand the sentiment, but I really don't think it's reflective of some "bleed them dry" or "fk them over" attitude on behalf of the MN crew. And I say this as someone who only recently acquired a Phonogene (recently as in a few months).

It's also not obvious to me that this will be worth the investment if you already own a PG: all we have seen is a front panel, and it's far from clear --- beyond stereo, which brings its own issues for many modular users --- what the other differences are and whether they will make it worth switching. Hell, even if you get a Morphagene, you could just keep the PG and put it in Broken Echo mode. (I can totally see myself doing that...)
mmelnick
Cue the onslaught of Phonogene's for sale in the B/S/T in 3..2...1... lol

Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
richc90
...lift off... Bunch of PGs listed/reduced in the last 10 minutes or so (seriously).
intuitionnyc
chapelier fou wrote:
Updates happen, it's one of those things. I understand the sentiment, but I really don't think it's reflective of some "bleed them dry" or "fk them over" attitude on behalf of the MN crew.

I agree. We don't even know price point yet on the Morphagene. What if it is double the price of a Phonogene.

I can understand if you bought a Phonogene new last week and this was launched. It would be nice to have a little heads up before the latest and greatest came out. But the Phonogene has been around for a long time now. It's not like they updated after 6 months.
digits
Gawdammit bye bye all my money again
thelizard
intuitionnyc wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:
Updates happen, it's one of those things. I understand the sentiment, but I really don't think it's reflective of some "bleed them dry" or "fk them over" attitude on behalf of the MN crew.

I agree. We don't even know price point yet on the Morphagene. What if it is double the price of a Phonogene.

I can understand if you bought a Phonogene new last week and this was launched. It would be nice to have a little heads up before the latest and greatest came out. But the Phonogene has been around for a long time now. It's not like they updated after 6 months.

To be fair, the same thing would happen to people who purchased it right before the "heads up".

Me, I don't mind terribly. I just put my Phonogene up for sale so that I can upgrade. To me, it's not a lot different from paying for software updates. However, this has the additional benefit of putting a great device into someone's hands who couldn't previously afford it.
giftculture
thelizard wrote:

Me, I don't mind terribly. I just put my Phonogene up for sale so that I can upgrade. To me, it's not a lot different from paying for software updates. However, this has the additional benefit of putting a great device into someone's hands who couldn't previously afford it.

That's a great way of looking at it!
richc90
thelizard wrote:
This has the additional benefit of putting a great device into someone's hands who couldn't previously afford it.

That's a very nice way to look at it. There is always a lot of initial annoyance about updates, which I do understand, but it really is a ridiculous knee jerk reaction to instantly think the PG is useless: as was mentioned earlier by various people, it's hardly like the PG suddenly become obsolete. It's still an awesome module, and for all we know now, it might have certain quirks that make it better for some people than the MG.
asteraster
can we enumerate the differences? what is this doing differently than the phonogene?

i see stereo ins and outs, sd card, the morph control, clock in
richc90
CV out, guessing envelope follower.

MG lacks gain control on the inputs.

Not sure what the "Reel" button (?) is for, maybe just manual record?

End of Splice is now labelled EOSG maybe "End of Splice or Gene"?
Conrad
richc90 wrote:
CV out, guessing envelope follower.

Knowing the typical depth of make noise modules, there are likely various neat features like this attached
Conrad
chapelier fou wrote:

At least with hardware you should be able to sell your phonogene for something if you really wanted to. Unlike the DRM nature of software. Phonogene has been out for a while, and while it is still good, this new installation in that "genre" of module seems to be getting a lot of people excited. The only thing you lost is maybe possible resale value of your phonogene.
Infinity Curve
Is that picture all of the info that is out at this point? And people are already falling over themselves to sell their Phonogenes? seriously, i just don't get it

Not saying it is likely to be a bad module, but seems like jumping the gun, no?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next [all]
Page 1 of 47