Intellijel Quad VCA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 pm

huron wrote:
exper wrote:
huron wrote:Now if only I could actually buy this somewhere. Seems to be out of stock everywhere. Oh well. Looks like a used Mutable Veils is in my future.
I ordered it direct. Arrived in NJ in no time at all.
:doh: Oh man, I had no idea you could order direct from them!!! :nana:

Which shipping option did you use?
Honestly I think I just did the cheapest option. Still pretty quick.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:56 pm

This VCA is the business!

wogglebug
Common Wiggler

Post by wogglebug » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 pm

atrostor wrote: Well, Veils is an extremely clean VCA also with the capability of boosting line level signals to Euro and response curve controls so I wouldn't be so hasty ditching it before hearing the Quad VCA.
Can anybody confirm that the Veils can work as an quasi input module for line-level signals? Has anybody tried it? I am trying to decide between a Quad VCA and a Veils and in lieu of having a separate preamp/input module I'd go with the Veils if it can do this.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm

wogglebug wrote:
atrostor wrote: Well, Veils is an extremely clean VCA also with the capability of boosting line level signals to Euro and response curve controls so I wouldn't be so hasty ditching it before hearing the Quad VCA.
Can anybody confirm that the Veils can work as an quasi input module for line-level signals? Has anybody tried it? I am trying to decide between a Quad VCA and a Veils and in lieu of having a separate preamp/input module I'd go with the Veils if it can do this.
Have you looked at the thread dedicated to Veils? I know this has been discussed many times over there:

viewtopic.php?t=161762

wogglebug
Common Wiggler

Post by wogglebug » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:48 pm

atrostor wrote: Have you looked at the thread dedicated to Veils? I know this has been discussed many times over there:
viewtopic.php?t=161762
Oops. I didnt see that dedicated thread for Veils. Thanks for the pointer. That thread answers the question clearly (on page 6).

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:41 pm

Just got this thing and love it. Just curious if someone could confirm this behavior is normal.

When using Maths into the CV and changing the response curve counter clockwise from linear clipping is introduced, regardless of the boost switch.

The volume knob is at 0, but Maths put out 10v and the Quad needs +5v for unity. I understand why this would cause clipping but don't understand why it only clips if it's not in a linear response curve.

oinkbanana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oinkbanana » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:46 am

hawkfuzz wrote:changing the response curve counter clockwise from linear clipping is introduced,
don't understand why it only clips if it's not in a linear response curve.
mine does this too. Don't know why either. not a problem since I can turn down the levels.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:19 am

hawkfuzz wrote:Just got this thing and love it. Just curious if someone could confirm this behavior is normal.

When using Maths into the CV and changing the response curve counter clockwise from linear clipping is introduced, regardless of the boost switch.

The volume knob is at 0, but Maths put out 10v and the Quad needs +5v for unity. I understand why this would cause clipping but don't understand why it only clips if it's not in a linear response curve.
It needs +5V for unity in linear mode. The more you go towards exponential the less voltage it needs for unity and the quicker it will clip.
Intellijel R&D

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Outstanding. Thanks.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Just installed mine Friday and love it.

Yes the boost is and amplified boost, and does help bring out weak signals.

In exponential mode the rate of change per volt is, well, exponential instead of linear, so the further towards the exponential side you turn the knob the greater effect the CV has on the amplification. The manual says that you can actually run this into clipping using exponential, as well as stack the stages for even greater distortion. Haven't gone there yet though.

It is a very cool VCA. I bought a Roland 530 months ago (mainly for the mixing capability) and I wish I had another one of these instead. I also have a Pittsburgh Dual VCA, but that Intellijel takes the cake in my book.

Of course there's a lot more out there that I haven't tinkered with either....

Rafi
Common Wiggler

Post by Rafi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Love mine. Clean & precise.

duct tape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by duct tape » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Mine has served me very well--flexible and the panel layout (levels on right-side, outs horizontal on bottom) is more appealing that Veils' imo

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 am

Has anyone compared the Quad VCA to Veils in terms of exponential responsiveness? Which one is "more exponential" at extreme setting?

JC14
Common Wiggler

Post by JC14 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 am

Is there any advantage in having 2x uVCA II's instead of 1x Quad VCA aside from the HP difference? Any difference in functions, sound, quality..?

The Quad VCA is almost just as much as a single uVCA II. That's paying a lot more for just the flexibility of having 2x 6HP instead of 1x 12HP, so I was wondering if there's more to it...

alanza
Common Wiggler

Post by alanza » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 pm

only going off their website, but the Quad VCA has that drive switch and the CV inputs are normalled to cascade, potentially saving you some patch cables. beyond that I don't know

oinkbanana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oinkbanana » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:51 pm

JC14 wrote:Is there any advantage in having 2x uVCA II's instead of 1x Quad VCA aside from the HP difference? Any difference in functions, sound, quality..?

The Quad VCA is almost just as much as a single uVCA II. That's paying a lot more for just the flexibility of having 2x 6HP instead of 1x 12HP, so I was wondering if there's more to it...
4 channels get cascade mixed together on the quad...

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:24 pm

I use the 4 channels all the time as a mixer, or even to just be able to use the same envelope on multiple channels. 4 channels is also enough to do a clean blend routing if you want. There's really no downside unless you're truly space limited.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:02 pm

My second Quad VCA arrived today....QUICK !! (DHL Canada to Los Angeles, $20... less than 2 days)

This is the first module I have "2" of.
Other modules I plan on getting doubles are...
another Quadra
another Triatt

The Quadra and the Quad VCA work perfectly together.

I'm planning on using both Q-VCAs often as final stereo mixers, just before the excellent Audio I/O (3U version).

My only issue that might arise is one of them is ver.2.02, and the new one is ver.2.03
......where in the newer version, the CV attenuators are now 100k + an extra buffer...
....and the older ver. uses 10k, not buffered.

I have yet to do a side-by-side, until my new case arrives. (need more space !!)
I doubt there will be an issue though...."maybe" the knob positions won't match 100%...is my thinking.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Do a side by side

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Hey guys,
I've got my QUAD VCA today and I'm wondering if I have an issue with it.
Configuration :

Octatrack controlling the Make Noise 0-Coast
Audio Out of the Braids to the In of the Quad VCA
The Quad VCA Out to the Audio In of the 0-Coast
I patch the Env1 of the Intellijel Quadra to the first CV input of the Quad and the light doesn't light up.

When I do the same but in the CV In 3 or 4 everything works fine but not in the 1 or 2 !
As I'm new, perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I'm looking for what for all day ... I did a video of it here : https://youtu.be/Yp_JjNSMFWg
:waah:

cquine
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cquine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm

It looks to me like it is a hardware failure unfortunately.

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:02 pm

cquine wrote:It looks to me like it is a hardware failure unfortunately.
I think so too. It happens. Well I guess I'll have to ask for an exchange.
Thanks for the reply :-)

cquine
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cquine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Good luck with it. Out of curiosity, do the main level knobs work on 1&2? Wonder if it's just the cv.

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm

cquine wrote:Good luck with it. Out of curiosity, do the main level knobs work on 1&2? Wonder if it's just the cv.
Thank you ! Yes they work, I guess it's just the CV :(

orbita
Common Wiggler

Post by orbita » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Anyone know anywhere this is in stock in UK/Europe, I can't seem to find one.

Also, is it generally better to go for a combined vca/mix or a separate combination of vca and mixer.

I was thinking as alternative in:
- 2 x 2hp dual vca
- ssf mixmode or Levit8

It works out more expensive but for similar HP (and i'm a bit space restricted) it seems more flexible as using VCA doesn't necessarily tie up mixing and vice versa. Thoughts?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”