Intellijel Quad VCA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 am

I have a Quad VCA which I am having troubles with.

Initially, VCA 1 didn't normalize to mix out, but not long after, even the individual output stopped working.

Does anyone know if there might be an easy troubleshooting fix for a basic DIY person for this, or have similar experience of a channel acting up like that?
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:57 am

I'm sure you've reached out to Intellijel directly, but do you have a multimeter?

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:43 am

I'm looking for a quad VCA and this looks pretty perfect. Before I sold up I had a uVCA 2 that was great.

How is the 6db gain boost - I'd like the option of bringing in external synth Osc, processed via FX.

fredke
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fredke » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:19 am

I own one.

I prefer it to Mutable's ones, which I ended up selling.
Whatisvalis wrote:How is the 6db gain boost - I'd like the option of bringing in external synth Osc, processed via FX.
The boost feature gives you some extra amplification (though I would wish for more), and, more interestingly, can overdrive audio signals in a beautiful way.

Also, it can be used as 4 VCAs, a 4-to-1 mixer, or any combination in between: 2x 2>1, 3>1 +1 ...

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:17 pm

fredke wrote:I own one.

I prefer it to Mutable's ones, which I ended up selling.
Whatisvalis wrote:How is the 6db gain boost - I'd like the option of bringing in external synth Osc, processed via FX.
The boost feature gives you some extra amplification (though I would wish for more), and, more interestingly, can overdrive audio signals in a beautiful way.

Also, it can be used as 4 VCAs, a 4-to-1 mixer, or any combination in between: 2x 2>1, 3>1 +1 ...
I understand that it is pretty much a huge misuse of 4 channels of the VCA, but if you daisy chain them together you get that +6 db gain x4... so if you want some distortion and don't have another option you can get some there. I have 2 of these and love them.

Wjbratcher
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wjbratcher » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:30 pm

I’ve been able to coax massive boost and drive by using an exponential response and feeding offset from another module. With the +6db, you can push some line level stuff into clipping. I use maths or mutable instruments (wonderful) Blinds module for this. Seems to work, and I was hoping to get this behavior before I bought one (instead of Veils, which boosts without added CV, but doesn’t have the offset built in for Vca bleed, a no-go for me).

Aiyn Zahev
Common Wiggler

Post by Aiyn Zahev » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:18 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:I'm looking for a quad VCA and this looks pretty perfect. Before I sold up I had a uVCA 2 that was great.

How is the 6db gain boost - I'd like the option of bringing in external synth Osc, processed via FX.
You can hear a bit of that in this video, I run through synths & drums and use the drive for distortion, at about 4:40:

[video][/video]

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Parnelli wrote: I understand that it is pretty much a huge misuse of 4 channels of the VCA, but if you daisy chain them together you get that +6 db gain x4... so if you want some distortion and don't have another option you can get some there. I have 2 of these and love them.
according to who the overlords of "you can never have enough vac's"
:tu: :tu: :tu:
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

TechForze
Common Wiggler

Post by TechForze » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Aiyn Zahev wrote:
Whatisvalis wrote:I'm looking for a quad VCA and this looks pretty perfect. Before I sold up I had a uVCA 2 that was great.

You can hear a bit of that in this video, I run through synths & drums and use the drive for distortion, at about 4:40:

[video][/video]
What a great video! Got some stuff to try! :tu:
Current racks / trade: ModularGrid

Eurtrude
Common Wiggler

Post by Eurtrude » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 am

I'm experimenting some bleed between channels in my 2 QVCA.

Let's say I send a oscillator in Input 1 of the QVCA, and take the Output (1)from this channel to my mixer, I'm still hearing a bit of this oscillator in the Output 2 of the QVCA... even with an other oscillator connected to the input 2.

I've never experienced anything like that before, it always has been very clean. And it happens now in the 2 of them I got.

What could be the cause of this ? I use a lot of distortion in my patches, may that be the cause (too loud volume) ?

Also, I recently bouth a Midas Venice mixer and the problem appeared after that. I can"t think it is related but...

johannes
Common Wiggler

Re: Intellijel Quad VCA

Post by johannes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm

can i change cv from a lin to exp response using a quad vca? (vco output that i want to feed into a lin fm input)
or will this only work with a uvca?

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Yes, you will need to send a DC offset into the VCA input and your CV source into the CV input and set the VCA to an exponential curve. That would effectively map your linear CV source to an exponential one.
Intellijel R&D

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Almost forgot this gem in my cases. Regarding the video shared by Aiyn, I am surprise the VCA can handle distortion so well. More time to dig deep into the module.

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm

kisielk wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 pm
Yes, you will need to send a DC offset into the VCA input and your CV source into the CV input and set the VCA to an exponential curve. That would effectively map your linear CV source to an exponential one.
thanks, yes i seems to work. kind of hard to notice the diffenrence between lin and exp response cv…

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:52 am

Yes, for Intellijel, I tend to order from them directly if I can.......super-fast delivery via DH from Canada to USA.
Plus if there is ever a problem or if a unit breaks....you have a record of purchase.They have great customer service.
Example, my Plonk's readout went dull/broken.
They said send it to them. I paid for shipping to them....and I got a replacement, w/free shipping back to me. I can't guarantee this will be the same in every circumstance, but this was my experience.

BTW, on topic... I have 2 Quad VCA'a.....and they are used in every patch.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

TwiddleLove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TwiddleLove » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:51 am

kisielk wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 pm
Whats happening if theres no dc offset? and how do i send it from maths? just channel 2 or 3 on zero level? sry for noobquestions!

TwiddleLove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TwiddleLove » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:01 am

maybe i used to much boost but it sounds much worse than the manhatten audio to my ears! is there boost if i put the (input)level on full?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”