Intellijel Quad VCA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:53 pm

I guess no one has a sense of humor today
"We are a way for the universe to know itself" - Carl Sagan

Infinity Curve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Kummer wrote:I guess no one has a sense of humor today
My last response was complete sarcasm, even put an 'eh' on the end. Twas a joke.

Back on topic. Any other new stuff from Intellijel announced besides that plonk dealie?

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
Kummer wrote:I guess no one has a sense of humor today
My last response was complete sarcasm, even put an 'eh' on the end. Twas a joke.

Back on topic. Any other new stuff from Intellijel announced besides that plonk dealie?
I was replying to brandnewmath not you

agreed, lets move on

(edit: looking back I see that he posted an onion article... which is funny...
I'm having a bad internet day today, let's just forget I said anything at all...)
"We are a way for the universe to know itself" - Carl Sagan

Naqin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Naqin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:56 pm

So the boost switch adds 6dB. Don't know if that's enough for line level signals? Veils goes up to 20dB.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:27 pm

While I like Veils, this VCA seems to feature a better layout, epecially if used at the end of the signal chain on a skiff. I have never understood why the knobs on Veils are positioned to the left of the input/output jacks. Then again, I'm left-handed, so who knows . . .
Last edited by kwaidan on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Naqin wrote:So the boost switch adds 6dB. Don't know if that's enough for line level signals? Veils goes up to 20dB.
Yeah, I think the boost on this guy might just be useful for boosting within Eurorack, or to add some saturation like the uVCA.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 pm

kwaidan wrote:While I like Veils, this VCA seems to feature a better layout, epecially if used at the end of the signal chain on a skiff. I have never understood why the knobs are positioned to the right of input/output jacks. Then again, I'm left-handed, so who knows . . .
The knobs are on the left of the jacks on Veils. 20db boost is really useful to me on Veils, maybe the standout feature

driftwave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by driftwave » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Does that red output look like a mix out to anyone else?

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Yes it does

driftwave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by driftwave » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 pm

:love: :love: :love:

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:18 pm

One interesting feature of the Quad VCA is the cascading of both the outputs AND the CV ins; so you could input one CV and pass it to other channels as well.

quadrupole
Common Wiggler

Post by quadrupole » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
What about the Tetrapad in the corner of the instagram post? That looks interesting.

Regarding this vca vs. veils, I guess the signal boost could be the only difference (higher on veils), aside from form factor.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:39 pm

lud wrote:
kwaidan wrote:While I like Veils, this VCA seems to feature a better layout, epecially if used at the end of the signal chain on a skiff. I have never understood why the knobs are positioned to the right of input/output jacks. Then again, I'm left-handed, so who knows . . .
The knobs are on the left of the jacks on Veils. 20db boost is really useful to me on Veils, maybe the standout feature
Ha! I always get directions mixed up. Anyway, my point was that too often the patch cables block the knobs on Veils. Intellijel's design solves that problem. Otherwise, Veils is a great module.

In addition, I love my Linix, so I will probably pick up this new module the next time I need a VCA.

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:31 am

Was just about to pickup a hex vca but this looks exactly what I need for a mobile rig. Boost looks really useful too and the mix outs x2 into the new 1u headphone/stereo out module is going to save needing a separate output module. Perfect.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:33 am

When the quad VCA can be as clean and good sounding as the erika quad vca, I wont hesiate to buy it.

Tried the erika at a friends place and liked the sound very much compared to my old doepfer but didnt buy anything because of NAMM being around the corner. And now this! hopefully it doesnt take too long until I can test it.

Would be nice to know some technical differences/similarities to the uVCA. Or if there had to be made some compromises to reach the relatively low pricepoint compared to what you get (basically two uVCAs)

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:23 am

Infinity Curve wrote:
Conrad wrote:
lud wrote:Do we need another Quad vca?
The continuous lin/exp transition shows up in relatively few modules and makes it worth it in my opinion for those who don't already have enough VCAS (which you can never REALLY have enough of, right?). Coming from a relatively large American Eurorack manufacturer, the killer detail here will likely be the name recognition and quality/cost ratio.
Intellijel is Canadian. Have to say, this looks pretty nice, but wont this basically kill the µVCA II at that price point?
Unless this is a totally different VCA internally...as someone who owns a uVCA and is planning on adding another to the same case...nope, I'd still rather have two uVCAs. I wasn't planning on putting them next to each other and see no strong advantage to having it all in one module (I will not use it as a mixer, have other mixers available). I think it's pretty cool if they plan to keep offering both sizes personally, they both have pluses and minuses for different folks.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:15 am

Intellijel has it up for direct purchase on their website: https://intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/quad-vca/

I'm sure it'll start hitting the retailers soon.

Gorsky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gorsky » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:23 am

ok, it's 189$, but how many euros !?!?

Iridite
Common Wiggler

Post by Iridite » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 am

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:55 am

For those based in Europe, now available too at Music Store for 219€ (at least for my location).

Parmesan
Common Wiggler

Post by Parmesan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:11 am

Are those toggle switches? I hate tiny slide switches, especially on otherwise perfect Intellijel modules. :) Toggle switches are so much better..

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:15 am

They seem like toggle ones to me.

Anyway, just ordered from Signal Sounds (never heard of them) as they are making a great price with cheap shipping.

Thanks for the tip, Iridite!

Gorsky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gorsky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:41 am

I just ordered one from MusicStore.de :) wohooo

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 am

Just received the Quad VCA from Signal Sounds.

Next day delivery and a bunch of free stickers too!

I can confirm they are toggle switches and they feel good. In fact all the knobs on this feel more solid to me on first impression. Maybe they improved the build quality a bit?

Anyway, will only be able to try it out later.

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:42 am

I wanted to buy one of these from Perfect circuit last week but they are not out yet and thought I might as buy mutable Veils as it's already available, be pretty similar wouldn't they..?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”