Intellijel Quad VCA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

mlaszews
Common Wiggler

Post by mlaszews » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Veils lacks the offset I believe. But it does have a +20db boost, as opposed to +6, so there's that.

lamouette/rck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lamouette/rck » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:08 pm

i find Veils +20 sometimes too much, and i get clipping really often, i will buy a quad VCA to see if it suit me better.
Setup is never done.

teknobryan
Common Wiggler

Post by teknobryan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:09 pm

is 6db enough to bring external stuff up to modular level?

digits
Common Wiggler

Post by digits » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:13 am

So I can get this thing direct from Intellijel now, yes?

VZvision
Wiggling with Experience

Post by VZvision » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 am

digits wrote:So I can get this thing direct from Intellijel now, yes?
Yes.

https://intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/quad-vca/

Gorsky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gorsky » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:47 am

Woho, just received my parcel ! Quad VCA looks and FEELS great!
I think that the knob's are no longer plastic, I mean their center (;

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RussiaZero23 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:30 pm

since the quad vca has cascading channels you Should be able to boost a signal +6 db down the line?

+6 ch1
then into ch2
+6 ch2
Then into ch3
+6 ch3
then into and out CH4
+6 ch4

+24 boost total if the need call for it.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Gorsky wrote:Woho, just received my parcel ! Quad VCA looks and FEELS great!
I think that the knob's are no longer plastic, I mean their center (;
Pot shaft. But nope, plastic.

RussiaZero23 wrote:since the quad vca has cascading channels you Should be able to boost a signal +6 db down the line?

+6 ch1
then into ch2
+6 ch2
Then into ch3
+6 ch3
then into and out CH4
+6 ch4

+24 boost total if the need call for it.
It's more of a unity gain mixer so you'd have to patch the outs to the next channel to get more than +6dB.

I did a test with an Init patch with a square wave from the Sub37 into the Quad VCA into one channel and a Dixie II square wave into another. With the Quad's +6dB boost the Sub37 VCO pretty much as loud as the Dixie II.

I got mine a few days ago and really like it so far. This + the Mutagen are replacing the VCAMatrix and so far I'm happy I went this route.

Speculum Speculorum
Common Wiggler

Post by Speculum Speculorum » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm glad to see this getting good reviews. I've been considering replacing a uVCA and Doepfer dual VCA with this unit. I do like the differences in tone that the two impart, but also think this might be more feature packed.

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 am

Ordered this and a Dixie II+! Excited for them to arrive - will be my first real Intellijel modules (aside from a buffered mult).

Looking forward to the Shifty next :)

Jim's computer beats
Cajun Style Styrofoam

Post by Jim's computer beats » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:06 am

For those who have one : Does it bleed?
I'm looking for a quad VCA/Mixer to handle audio duties (and CV too on occasion) and on paper this seems perfect.

papx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by papx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:01 am

Jim's computer beats wrote:For those who have one : Does it bleed?
I'm looking for a quad VCA/Mixer to handle audio duties (and CV too on occasion) and on paper this seems perfect.
I got this module yesterday. There's no bleed that I can hear.

oknussen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oknussen » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:05 am

hmm - no bleed, good reported build quality... wondering if I should have bought this instead of a second veils....

Jim's computer beats
Cajun Style Styrofoam

Post by Jim's computer beats » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 am

Thank you for the answer regarding bleed. This is going to make its way into my system soon!

chickenboy
1-Post Wiggler

Post by chickenboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 am

Got this yesterday, nice module! Good amount of function for the price. One of the knobs seems a little stuck, wondering if it's worth returning...

mlaszews
Common Wiggler

Post by mlaszews » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:50 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on this vs Blinds for CV control? I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to VCAs, so any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages would be appreciated. Does the bias control obviate the need for bipolar response? I will be using for both audio and CV, but I'm most concerned with flexibility in terms of CV manipulation. I understand that Blinds is tough to set to zero for traditional audio VCA use, but I'm wondering what other differences there are to consider.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:48 pm

mlaszews wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on this vs Blinds for CV control? I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to VCAs, so any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages would be appreciated. Does the bias control obviate the need for bipolar response? I will be using for both audio and CV, but I'm most concerned with flexibility in terms of CV manipulation. I understand that Blinds is tough to set to zero for traditional audio VCA use, but I'm wondering what other differences there are to consider.
The Quad VCA will not polarize like the Blinds or Moddemix. It can handle signals that are already bipolar (LFOs, etc.) but it won't invert the signal (like inverting an envelope).

papx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by papx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:40 pm

mlaszews wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on this vs Blinds for CV control? I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to VCAs, so any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages would be appreciated. Does the bias control obviate the need for bipolar response? I will be using for both audio and CV, but I'm most concerned with flexibility in terms of CV manipulation. I understand that Blinds is tough to set to zero for traditional audio VCA use, but I'm wondering what other differences there are to consider.
I wound up getting both the Quad VCA and Blinds. I think that was the right choice. The Blinds for CV manipulation and the Quad VCA for VCA and mixing. This seems sufficient for my 6u at this time.

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 am

Got my quad VCA (and Dixie II+) yesterday and already loving them both. Quick q - and maybe this was addressed elsewhere here but I didn't see it on the Intellijel site: is there a jumper or setting that allows tapping of an individual OUT to be removed from the MIX as opposed to summing all previous OUTs. It's not a big deal if that's not an option - just curious

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRmW7Psl2vm/

loachhat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by loachhat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:33 am

note! wrote:Got my quad VCA (and Dixie II+) yesterday and already loving them both. Quick q - and maybe this was addressed elsewhere here but I didn't see it on the Intellijel site: is there a jumper or setting that allows tapping of an individual OUT to be removed from the MIX as opposed to summing all previous OUTs. It's not a big deal if that's not an option - just curious

I dunno about the Quad VCA but usually with these sorts of designs plugging a cable into a channel output breaks the channel's normal with the mix output. The feature list seems to support this:
Each output is normalled to the mix input of the adjacent one which allows you to use adjacent sets as submixes or the fourth output can be used as a master mix output when none of the other outputs are patched.

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:39 am

loachhat wrote:I dunno about the Quad VCA but usually with these sorts of designs plugging a cable into a channel output breaks the channel's normal with the mix output. The feature list seems to support this:
Each output is normalled to the mix input of the adjacent one which allows you to use adjacent sets as submixes or the fourth output can be used as a master mix output when none of the other outputs are patched.
Ahhh, yeah you're totally right. I may have gotten confused with Tangle Quartet.

restlessboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by restlessboy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:43 am

note! wrote:Got my quad VCA (and Dixie II+) yesterday and already loving them both. Quick q - and maybe this was addressed elsewhere here but I didn't see it on the Intellijel site: is there a jumper or setting that allows tapping of an individual OUT to be removed from the MIX as opposed to summing all previous OUTs. It's not a big deal if that's not an option - just curious

I guess if you need to do that just consider patching inputs in a different order. eg - input one into channel one patch out soloed, and inputs 2-4 come out of output 4 mixed.

Migrigsynth
Common Wiggler

Post by Migrigsynth » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Just bought one of these from Detroit Modular. It's my first VCA as I'm just starting down this modular synth rabbit hole. Very pleased with it so far. I can see another one in my future :sb:

Jim's computer beats
Cajun Style Styrofoam

Post by Jim's computer beats » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Just received mine too, and I love it! If I had some needs for more VCAs in my case, I'd buy another.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:43 pm

I bought mine from Control Voltage and I have since used it in every single patch. It's my go-to VCA now.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”