Intellijel Quad VCA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

InteBra
Common Wiggler

Post by InteBra » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:22 am

Not enough knowledge in my brain... Could I use the Quad VCA with headphones in stead of having to buy a WMD Pro Out or something similar?

Jim's computer beats
Cajun Style Styrofoam

Post by Jim's computer beats » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:04 am

I'm not sure that would be a good idea... Modular signals are HOT (and besides, the Quad VCA has a mono mix out). I'd take a proper module to plug my headphones in.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 am

Another issue would be the mono signal coming through one ear.

InteBra
Common Wiggler

Post by InteBra » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks. I do have an external mixer but due to lack of space i have my modular in my cupboard. So every time I use it I have to connect stuff. Sometimes I'd like to have a quick play with it. I guess I need to get a headphone module.

c0nsumer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0nsumer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:07 pm

I picked up one of these from Detroit Modular a couple weeks ago and it's my first dedicated VCA as I'm just getting into modular stuff. Can one of you help me understand why something is occurring? Since there's no manual yet, I can't read that...

Say, for example, that I have an audio signal going into IN 1, an LFO into the first CV input, and OUT 1 going to µJack. Even when the LFO is not triggering the VCA (led not illuminated or cable unplugged from LFO end) if I have the large knob (far right, above the LEVEL 1 label) past ~12 o'clock I'll hear the original signal on IN 1 coming out. I would expect that it'd instead I'd hear nothing.

I figure this is right, but... why? I'm not sure what I'm missing... And what exactly the three knobs one each of the VCAs are and roughly what they do? Maybe that'll help me understand it...

Jehos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jehos » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:37 pm

I thought I understood this, but I looked at the manual for the uVCA and it works different from the quad. The quad can handle bipolar CV which changes up how it works maybe.

I'm curious now too because I own the Quad VCA and thought it worked like the uVCA but now I'm not so sure.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:02 pm

c0nsumer wrote:I picked up one of these from Detroit Modular a couple weeks ago and it's my first dedicated VCA as I'm just getting into modular stuff. Can one of you help me understand why something is occurring? Since there's no manual yet, I can't read that...

Say, for example, that I have an audio signal going into IN 1, an LFO into the first CV input, and OUT 1 going to µJack. Even when the LFO is not triggering the VCA (led not illuminated or cable unplugged from LFO end) if I have the large knob (far right, above the LEVEL 1 label) past ~12 o'clock I'll hear the original signal on IN 1 coming out. I would expect that it'd instead I'd hear nothing.

I figure this is right, but... why? I'm not sure what I'm missing... And what exactly the three knobs one each of the VCAs are and roughly what they do? Maybe that'll help me understand it...
The level knob acts just like a regular level control for the input signal, whether you have any CV coming in or not, it determines how much of the IN is present at the OUT (and mixed into the next OUT). The CV input is summed with the level knob. So if the level is at 12 o'clock, you'll have the VCA opened approximately half way (in linear mode). Now if you start applying an LFO to the CV input, the positive portion of the LFO acts as if you were turning the knob further clockwise, and the negative portion acts as if you were turning the knob counter-clockwise. Hope that helps!
Intellijel R&D

c0nsumer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0nsumer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm

kisielk wrote:The level knob acts just like a regular level control for the input signal, whether you have any CV coming in or not, it determines how much of the IN is present at the OUT (and mixed into the next OUT). The CV input is summed with the level knob. So if the level is at 12 o'clock, you'll have the VCA opened approximately half way (in linear mode). Now if you start applying an LFO to the CV input, the positive portion of the LFO acts as if you were turning the knob further clockwise, and the negative portion acts as if you were turning the knob counter-clockwise. Hope that helps!
Thank you very much, I think this is making sense.

So, if I want none of the input signal to come through, unless it's being allowed by CV, then I should have the level knob fully CCW and the small knob next to the LED at something other than fully CCW?

Would it be accurate to label these knobs and their functions CV, BIAS, and EXP-LIN as in the µVCA Manual?

c0nsumer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0nsumer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:34 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
kisielk wrote:The level knob acts just like a regular level control for the input signal, whether you have any CV coming in or not, it determines how much of the IN is present at the OUT (and mixed into the next OUT). The CV input is summed with the level knob. So if the level is at 12 o'clock, you'll have the VCA opened approximately half way (in linear mode). Now if you start applying an LFO to the CV input, the positive portion of the LFO acts as if you were turning the knob further clockwise, and the negative portion acts as if you were turning the knob counter-clockwise. Hope that helps!
Thank you very much, I think this is making sense.

So, if I want none of the input signal to come through, unless it's being allowed by CV, then I should have the level knob fully CCW and the small knob next to the LED at something other than fully CCW?

Would it be accurate to label these knobs and their functions CV, BIAS, and EXP-LIN as in the µVCA Manual?
(It actually kinda sounds like maybe this works the same as the VCAs on the µVCA, except for the boost switch, and that there's four instead of two?)

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Exactly. It's nearly the same as two uVCAs except with more normal king and the boost added.
Intellijel R&D

c0nsumer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0nsumer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:04 pm

kisielk wrote:Exactly. It's nearly the same as two uVCAs except with more normal king and the boost added.
Thanks very much! That helps me a ton.

GorillaMuseum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GorillaMuseum » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:04 pm

I wish you could still get the hexvca.

Jehos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jehos » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 pm

GorillaMuseum wrote:I wish you could still get the hexvca.
You can, it's called Linix now.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:00 pm

The manual is now available for download:

https://intellijel.com/downloads/manual ... l_1.00.pdf
Intellijel R&D

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:16 pm

kisielk wrote:The manual is now available for download:

Thanks for the heads up!

aroom
Veteran Wiggler

Post by aroom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:39 pm

just a quick question : let's say I don't want to cascade the cv from input 1 to input 2, what are my options ?

insert a cable in cv 2 or can I use the cv 2 attenuator to cut it ?

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:40 pm

aroom wrote:just a quick question : let's say I don't want to cascade the cv from input 1 to input 2, what are my options ?

If you're not intending to use CV control for channel 2, just turn the attenuator all the way down. Otherwise if you are, plug a cable in to break the normal.
Intellijel R&D

c0nsumer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0nsumer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 pm

kisielk wrote:The manual is now available for download:

Woo! Thank you!

Jehos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jehos » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:13 pm

kisielk wrote:
aroom wrote:just a quick question : let's say I don't want to cascade the cv from input 1 to input 2, what are my options ?

If you're not intending to use CV control for channel 2, just turn the attenuator all the way down. Otherwise if you are, plug a cable in to break the normal.
I love this feature because it doesn't break the normal, but it's super obvious what's going on because the LED stops lighting up. Very clever design!

aroom
Veteran Wiggler

Post by aroom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:54 pm

kisielk wrote:

Seems perfect. Thanks for the answer.

Any idea about when we could get it in shops in Switzerland?

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:51 pm

aroom wrote:
kisielk wrote:

Seems perfect. Thanks for the answer.

Any idea about when we could get it in shops in Switzerland?
That's a question for the shops :)
Intellijel R&D

huron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by huron » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Now if only I could actually buy this somewhere. Seems to be out of stock everywhere. Oh well. Looks like a used Mutable Veils is in my future.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm

huron wrote:Now if only I could actually buy this somewhere. Seems to be out of stock everywhere. Oh well. Looks like a used Mutable Veils is in my future.
I ordered it direct. Arrived in NJ in no time at all.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

huron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by huron » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:43 pm

exper wrote:
huron wrote:Now if only I could actually buy this somewhere. Seems to be out of stock everywhere. Oh well. Looks like a used Mutable Veils is in my future.
:doh: Oh man, I had no idea you could order direct from them!!! :nana:

Which shipping option did you use?

Jehos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jehos » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm

huron wrote:
exper wrote:
:doh: Oh man, I had no idea you could order direct from them!!! :nana:

Which shipping option did you use?
Use DHL, it's like overnight from Canada for the price of Canadian post.

Seriously, I've done two different orders and the longest I waited was two days for the packages to get to Texas.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”