Noise Engineering Cursus Iteritas

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Niiice demo :tu:

I often wonder why this one tends to get overlooked in the Noise Engineering range of vcos....not “out there” as much as the others perhaps? ....but still a great oscillator, and I’m sure I recorded some nice demos with it a while back that I never got round to uploading.

I think they are on my “to do” list, along with fifty thousand other more pressing jobs like “sort pension out” (been on the list since I quit my day job to go full time at Matttech Modular several years ago) .....and many that start with the words “ring HMRC and...”

That’s about as far as I get with those - reading up to that exact point. :zombie:

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:43 pm

To get a slowly evolving drone that has a more 'harmonic' or stable timbre, I mostly use the 'mix' output of the verbos harmonic oscillator, with some Lin FM applied, and with a slow cycling envelope going into the 'tilt' control. I'm wondering if Cursus can cover that ground, and in less space?

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am

bumping this and adding another question, if anyone knows:

what's the approximate freq range on the CI? Can it go down to subaudio clicks/wubs?

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm

cloudleft wrote:bumping this and adding another question, if anyone knows:

what's the approximate freq range on the CI? Can it go down to subaudio clicks/wubs?
Yes, but not by much; I wouldn't suggest it as an LFO at all. Your clicks/wubs characterization seems apt from what I recall (it's out of my case at the moment).

Shoyei
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Noise Engineering Cursus Iteritas

Post by Shoyei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 am

Can anyone patch up a melodic arp with an LPG real quick and show me some of the cleaner tones from CI? I'm really interested in this oscillator, but I lean much further towards the melodic side of things and there aren't many sound demos online. Thanks in advance!

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Shoyei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 am
Can anyone patch up a melodic arp with an LPG real quick and show me some of the cleaner tones from CI? I'm really interested in this oscillator, but I lean much further towards the melodic side of things and there aren't many sound demos online. Thanks in advance!
I don't have the means to patch up a demo at the moment, but I can state from experience that CI is good for more melodic/tonal work. (Audio rate modulation will bring out some more wild results should you ever want to go there.)

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:17 am

Dumb question time. Is the only difference between CI and CIPercido the envelope stuff? Same sound generation engine?

Thx.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am

Chaklack wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:17 am
Dumb question time. Is the only difference between CI and CIPercido the envelope stuff? Same sound generation engine?

Thx.
Same “engine”.

Differences:

Onboard envelope with cv-able parameters (curve, time and attack/decay) that can be internally routed with attenuation/attenuversion to pitch, internal VCA, all parameters, as well as an envelope output to patch elsewhere in your system
3 modes (triggered envelope, looping envelope, free running), the first two using the envelope to open and close the internal VCA at the end of the audio signal path). The latter being similar to a standard Cursus Iteritas. It’s worth noting that this still differs from the standard Cursus Iteritas in that you can still trigger the envelope while it’s in free running mode. These modes are cv-able in that you can switch modes via CV
Pitch and other parameters can have the envelope amount modulated via cv
Master blaster macro control knob which controls the amount of attenuation and attenuversion of all parameters at the same time. Master blaster also had a dedicated cv output that you can patch elsewhere in your system
It also has a fine/coarse tuning option that the normal CI does not.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:33 am

NoLegs wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am
Chaklack wrote:

Thx.
Same “engine”.

Differences:

Onboard envelope with cv-able parameters (curve, time and attack/decay) that can be internally routed with attenuation/attenuversion to pitch, internal VCA, all parameters, as well as an envelope output to patch elsewhere in your system
3 modes (triggered envelope, looping envelope, free running), the first two using the envelope to open and close the internal VCA at the end of the audio signal path). The latter being similar to a standard Cursus Iteritas. It’s worth noting that this still differs from the standard Cursus Iteritas in that you can still trigger the envelope while it’s in free running mode. These modes are cv-able in that you can switch modes via CV
Master blaster macro control knob which controls the amount of attenuation and attenuversion of all parameters at the same time. Master blaster also had a dedicated cv output that you can patch elsewhere in your system
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Guess I need to decide if I have enough modulation or if the extra space and $$ would be justified.

-JP

kesserich
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by kesserich » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:49 am

matttech wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm
Niiice demo :tu:

I often wonder why this one tends to get overlooked in the Noise Engineering range of vcos....not “out there” as much as the others perhaps? ....but still a great oscillator, and I’m sure I recorded some nice demos with it a while back that I never got round to uploading.
I think because it was released on the heels of the LI(which was a bit of a hit), it kinda flew under the radar. It's a shame though. I have and love both a CIP and LIP but if I had to choose one it would be the CIP.

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Post by pablowdadon » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:47 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am
Chaklack wrote:

Thx.
Same “engine”.

Differences:

All of this but don’t forget that both Structure and Tilt parameters have been replaced by a single Balance parameter.
Long time users could tell you that those two knobs were the the most subtle in terms of waveshaping, but at the same time they both changed “something” sonically: maybe most of these different nuances were more evident when used Cursus as modulator.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:50 am

I had both for a long time and found I didn’t miss having them separately, to be honest.

pablowdadon
Common Wiggler

Post by pablowdadon » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:09 am

NoLegs wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:50 am
I had both for a long time and found I didn’t miss having them separately, to be honest.
Maybe because you’re a crafted man with your own signature sound! ;)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”