MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noise Engineering Cursus Iteritas
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Noise Engineering Cursus Iteritas
matttech
"video is unavailable" .... Maybe it's set to private?
Daisuk
It's a lovely oscillator. I think Noise Engineering really have cracked the oscillator code for me - more advanced than your most basic analog VCO's, but not so complicated or stuffed with stuff it's difficult to control. Lots of CV inputs, and lots of meaninful control. It's lovely. Great design. Well done, NE! applause
NoLegs
matttech wrote:
"video is unavailable" .... Maybe it's set to private?

Yeah, that’s what I get for postin the link before it finished uploading. It failed. I’ll try reposting it again very frustrating
NoLegs
Fixed!

joskery
How are people getting along with the Cursus after a while?

Been pondering this vs. the Shapeshifter. I pretty much know what the Shapeshifter can do, and its a lot. However, I love the BIA's sound, but am a little worried about versatility concerning the Cursus. What do you think?

Thanks!
pitri
joskery wrote:
How are people getting along with the Cursus after a while?

Been pondering this vs. the Shapeshifter. I pretty much know what the Shapeshifter can do, and its a lot. However, I love the BIA's sound, but am a little worried about its versatility. What do you think?

Thanks!

almost any setting on the CI is a sweetspot - its brilliant.
the SS obviously does way more but its much harder to dial the proper sound, at least for me.
Tumulishroomaroom
Well I don't know if that answers your question but :

For a while I had both the Shapeshifter and the Cursus in my case (6U). I bough the Shapeshifter mainly because I wanted chords in my rack and though the whole bunch of stuff it can do as well would be a great bonus. However when I didn't use chords I almost always reached to the Cursus and/or the Loquelic first, they are so immediate and fun to use that I did not feel the urge to dig into the Shapeshifter most of the time.
Then I bough the Digitakt and felt that I might as well sample chords and so I sold the Shapeshifter (and bough an Ultrafold as well to replace the Fold in the Shapeshifter). I haven't regretted my decision for a sec. Of course I guess the Shapeshifter can do way more but these things I never did with it.

Bottom line for me is : the Cursus sounds so good I just reach for it every time (mind you I'm a bit of a NE fanboy and only have the Cursus and Loquelic as "proper" oscillators + Just Friends that can be used as an harmonic oscillator as well). I can do tremendous drones, it can be very bass heavy, and it can also be really quite pretty too. Center/Struct//Tilt/Edge parameters are especially great to modulate (with attenuation). What I also really like about the iteritas line is that they sound great even without a pitch sequence.

Definitely not a diss on the Shapeshifter though, it's a great oscillator, but the sound+form factor of the Cursus/Loquelic is just too perfect.
kbithecrowing
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
I can do tremendous drones, it can be very bass heavy, and it can also be really quite pretty too. Center/Struct//Tilt/Edge parameters are especially great to modulate (with attenuation). What I also really like about the iteritas line is that they sound great even without a pitch sequence.

I would agree with this sentiment. I really enjoy how parameterized the timbre controls are and there's a wide variety of sound to be had. I've found a couple areas of the CI's sound pallette that I keep returning to (easily, no menus w00t), but I still find exploring other areas of it's sound rewarding too. I typically use it for bass & drone duties because that's what I feel like it excels at. I also think it compliments analog oscillators well. There are times where it sounds completely digital but still meshes just fine with the sound of my DPO.
kbithecrowing
Also How does the CI sound through the ultrafold? hyper

(Sorry for the double post d'oh! )
induktor
NoLegs wrote:
Fixed!

I’m into this hihi
joskery
Okay, so three pretty hearty endorsements smile Sounds good!

The thing with the BIA was that it really took me by surprise how much more there is to the module than what the existing demos convey – seems that the 'noise' in Noise Engineering's name sets some expectations to people smile And it's very encouraging to hear that Cursus is very versatile.

Pitri, Tumulishroomaroom, I hear you. I previously had the Shapeshifter and really love the breadth of options available, but it's not all sweet spots, at all. Still, I see what people come up with it (looking at you exper smile, and I realize it's mostly me, not the module.

It's crazy how few demos there are of Cursus – Soundcloud has <10 clips available, and YouTube is not much better.
Tumulishroomaroom
The Cursus Iteritas might be the most versatile of the bunch. Although the Loquelic is really versatile too, it doesn't have the same breadth of sounds. I should try and post a few soundcloups clips, but "sound" demo are a bit boring to make.
NoLegs
induktor wrote:
NoLegs wrote:
Fixed!

I’m into this hihi

Thank you! Rockin' Banana!
Tumulishroomaroom
Here's one a finished yesterday :

Cursus Iteritas

[s]http://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/atc-sidechain[/s]

First sound source (low droning voice) is the Cursus Iteritas, then the Loquelic comes with a pitch sequence. These are the only sound sources apart from the Digitakt taking care of percussion duties. Modulation courtesy of the newly acquired Just Friends. The ATC is at the end of the modular chain with an inverted envelope in order to create a sort of ducking effect and so that I have a delicious master filter as well.

There are more "extensive" patch notes on Soundcloud.

At close to 8minutes it runs a bit long but you know how it is when you turn those cutoff knobs !

Please be aware that this is the first tune ever I put up on Soundcloud !

Edit : I put up a link because Soundcloud upload never works here... how do you guys shorten url ?
Futuresound
Tumulishroomaroom that's fantastic, nice use of just a few elements.
Tumulishroomaroom
Futuresound wrote:
Tumulishroomaroom that's fantastic, nice use of just a few elements.

Thanks a lot that's very kind ! After quite a few tweaks and changes I'm really happy with this setup. The Digitakt really is what I needed all this time to make the music I want, and has helped me refine my modular tremendously.

I have no shortage of love for the Loquelic/Cursus/Just Friends/MMF-6/ATC combo. I feel like I'm pushing these oscillators in everyone's hand on every thread ahah.
joskery
Tumulishroomaroom – thanks for uploading the sample, sounds really nice! And I really appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me about the Cursus smile
uebl
kbithecrowing wrote:
Also How does the CI sound through the ultrafold? hyper

(Sorry for the double post d'oh! )

Well, the CI has a wavefolder built in and it sounds great. A/B testing this built-in wavefolder vs. the ultrafold of course would be interesting..
Tumulishroomaroom
It does, but they sound completely different. I like to split the signal and process it with different filters and the Ultrafold. That's in part what I did in the example above, but it may be hard to discern...
Tumulishroomaroom
Here's a new one where the Cursus feature very prominently :

[s]http://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/voltage-block[/s]

The idea was to really try and get into the potential of the Voltage Block when it comes to modulation, and I wanted to dig into the Cursus further as well. This ended up being a little different, a bit more mental if you wish, trying to reach peak intensity of a groove using just modulation and lots of manual wiggling.

No pitch sequence, only careful modulation of most parameters !
NoLegs

Cursus run into the Audio In of the Erica Synths Fusion VCO, and then into the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms Binary Filter and then into the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms Dynamic Impulse Filter.

Duophonic Moog Mother-32 in the intro, and then it's just Cursus, DFAM and Morphagene.

Effects:

Meris Polymoon
Meris Mercury 7
Meris Ottobit Jr.
Soma Labs Lyra-8

SoundCloud if thats more your speed:

https://soundcloud.com/tl3ss/hues
worra
I have a CI but I had trouble getting it to do all the things I wanted it to. Kinda felt limited at times when I wanted it to sound "nice", as most of the settings on it sounded pretty harsh to me? Don't get me wrong, I love some harsh stuff but I think this one might have to give it up to Plaits in my rack.
kbithecrowing
worra wrote:
I have a CI but I had trouble getting it to do all the things I wanted it to. Kinda felt limited at times when I wanted it to sound "nice", as most of the settings on it sounded pretty harsh to me? Don't get me wrong, I love some harsh stuff but I think this one might have to give it up to Plaits in my rack.

Cleanest settings to branch out from: center from 10-2, width from min-11, tilt to taste, all other knobs at their minimum, & don't use the Walsh mode. Modulate structure first, then center, then width. Gentle modulation is the key to the beauty of this one. I get plenty of "clean" sounds with mine not normally associated with NE's sound pallette.
Tumulishroomaroom
Yes many clean sounds to be found, just be sure to attenuate your modulation like with most NE oscillators ! I also found that's it's the "least" immediate of the bunch yet probably the most versatile.
gringz
it's not the first time i've seen people "warning" about attenuating modulation for NE, (i'm thinking about the LI and Manis), why is it so important?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5