MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4
atrostor
Turns out the module that said "hello" was in fact a new Disting. Our good old Eurorack Swiss army-knife gets a dot matrix display!

Thanks to its display, it's supposed to have few algorithms unique to it, such as a tuner, but otherwise seems to be similar to the Mk3; and os promised a continued support for the Mk3 in that Analogue Zone video. Another major update is the relocation of the SD card slot to the faceplate, which should make the module easier to use as a sample player.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-disting-mk4

atrostor
Oh and not that we have reached the limit of led combinations on the Mk3 yet, but a display would mean that the new Disting could presumably be limitless in terms of the number of algorithms it can hold as long as memory allows it.
xthrasherx
Was there any hint on when they'd be available? I didn't hear anything in the video about a release time. Looks cool though, and I'm sure the SD card relocation is a big benefit (I don't know for sure though since I don't have a mk3... just want one).
dumbledog
March.
Bob Borries
Not mad at all (just got the MkIII), would gladly buy another Disting. It's that good.
Flohr
I was slightly mad back when the Mk.2 and then 3 dropped. Well, more so the 3. Than I got over it and added a Mk.3. I currently have a Mk.3 and a Mk.1. I could see adding the 4 at some point. This update mainly seems important for those who want to use the Disting as a sample player. I'm glad that he is going to keep developing algos for both 3 and 4. The updates make sense and I don't feel that newer better versions devalue my older models.
ugokcen
I have the Mk3 and will probably get the Mk4 as well. Big thumbs up for continuing the development for Mk3 thumbs up

The algorithm selection was the only downside of the Disting which is probably the best value-for-money eurorack module of all time. I'm glad to see that Mk4 improves on that front but it almost feels like a missed opportunity not to put in a bigger screen. It would be great to be able to glance at a screen and see what each knob and jack is assigned to immediately, rather than digging through the manual.

We can always dream of Mk5 I guess...
bemushroomed
ugokcen wrote:

The algorithm selection was the only downside of the Disting which is probably the best value-for-money eurorack module of all time. I'm glad to see that Mk4 improves on that front but it almost feels like a missed opportunity not to put in a bigger screen.

That would make it bigger than 4HP though + would add to cost quite a lot. I think for a lot of people Disting is popular due to its small size and that the cost is low for what it does.

An addon module, let's say a 4HP vertical screen which points to the knobs/ports with info and lets you know what algo you are running would've been pretty nice. Then you could have the choice of having a kind of "deluxe" version of it, if you would be willing to pay for the additional screen module and you don't care about the additional HP.

Really great to hear that mk3 and mk4 are going to be developed simultaneously smile
euromorcego
Flohr wrote:
I was slightly mad back when the Mk.2 and then 3 dropped. Well, more so the 3. [...]. The updates make sense and I don't feel that newer better versions devalue my older models.

with the disting it is anyway different than with other mk2/mk3/mk4 modules: it has so many algorithms that you can always keep one running with a specific function. Only drawback is the power requirement for the mk1, otherwise the early versions still make perfectly functional clocked delays, quantizer or simple VCOs at a reasonable price [also the older algorithms havn't been improved, as far as i know, it's just more of them].

This is different than when a more dedicated module gets an update: this typically genuinely replaces and improves upon the old one (though also not always: for example Dixie1 and the Intellijel HexVCA are still sought-after modules due to their form factor).

anyway, at some point i would also rather see a disting XL with a small oled display and (maybe) more knobs than mk5, mk6, and mk7 in 4hp.
Bigsteak
Lol I seriously bought a MK3 grayscale panel before getting a disting and I never ended up getting one. Glad I didn't because this one looks a lot easier to use.
rayultine
at work and don't have time to do my own homework SORRY grin
Is the mk4 still only 4hp?
Yodhan
Been wanting to get a mk3. Hopefully someone out there wants to get a mk4 and lets their mk3 go for a little cheaper.
Bigsteak
Yodhan wrote:
Been wanting to get a mk3. Hopefully someone out there wants to get a mk4 and lets their mk3 go for a little cheaper.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for as well now. The screen looks super useful but on second thought the MK3 I think looks a lot sleeker, and I like the cryptic nature of it.
The Art Of Sound
Oh great and mighty Os.. You are killing me! smile

Seriously, this sounds like a really nice step forward for the module. The additional features mentioned above plus Macro Machines Storage Strip compatibility

http://macromachines.net/products/storage-strip/

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102572&highlight=

(and not Mungo as described in the AZ video) is a useful and welcomed bonus too...

I'll be in line for a couple at least!
geremyf
I have a mkIII and will be getting a mkIV. Not upset either.
Luap
"The new version is largely software-compatible with the mk3, and the intention is to continue releasing new features for both the mk3 and mk4 in parallel"

Nice thumbs up

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/index_files/disting-mk4-announced.php
djhyperspace
4 is my favourite number....... Big up os!! Glad your going to keep developing for the mk3.
os
Thanks all for the positive comments.

Just embedding the videos so far:

and I've been posting a few things at https://www.instagram.com/expertsleepers/
bobbcorr
I get the sense that each new version incorporates ideas from the community - so when it's time to do a new batch, why not make that new batch reflect the current 'state of the art'? Very smart and deeply appreciated. Most value in 4HP in all of Eurorack.
jenz
Looking forward to get the MK 4. I'm Keeping my MK1 and MK 3; still in almost every patch.
Maybe one day I'll have a little system with just Distings w00t
starthief
This pretty much cements my plan to get a Disting into my first skiff. There might have to be a second one in the expansion case. grin
Pighood
Arpeggiator implemented in version 4?
Oblivion
xthrasherx wrote:
Looks cool though, and I'm sure the SD card relocation is a big benefit (I don't know for sure though since I don't have a mk3... just want one).

As someone who has sheared the SD reader off one of his two mk3's, I think the move is a fantastic idea, for reliability AND convenience.
xthrasherx
Oblivion wrote:
xthrasherx wrote:
Looks cool though, and I'm sure the SD card relocation is a big benefit (I don't know for sure though since I don't have a mk3... just want one).

As someone who has sheared the SD reader off one of his two mk3's, I think the move is a fantastic idea, for reliability AND convenience.

I speak from complete ignorance / inexperience, but I would more than likely not use it much on the mk3. I would absolutely experiment with it on the mk4 just because of how much more accessible it is. I would still buy (and probably will) an mk3 when they become available again, but the mk4 is at the front of the list for me.
jbid55
I'm just going to have one of each version. Like why not. It's not like it's a $500+ module with only one or two functions that's getting updated. New Distings are good news to everyone.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next [all]
Page 1 of 28