MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Universal Tactile Gestural Interface (arches)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Universal Tactile Gestural Interface (arches)
soundmachines
After a coupe of years of back and forth between a load of requests from our control surface users and development time evaluaton we decided to GO.
Ladies and gentlemen, soon on Kickstarter (we choose to do so to check for interest on stretched goal features) our (arches) 84hp desktop and euro tactile control interface.
Check out the first specs on the picture below.
Specs and design are 95% there, but don't consider it final.
Expected shipping in MAY.
Still working on pricing and on the discount for backers.
See you soon.

[/img]
euromorcego
applause

looks good! But you might consider moving the jacks to the top of the panel. A controller like this usually sits in the lowest row of a skiff, so that the rest of the rack is above/behind it. Then it makes sense to have the jacks at the top.

And, if possible, you might also consider offering a very slim stand-alone case, like for this Buchla controller. I can well imagine that people put this in front of their modular in a slim skiff.
WIZARDISHUNGRY
Can't say I'm in the market for one, but I'd be more inclined to get one if the 1/8" breakout area and the control surface were separate modules like with the Buchla 223e. Maybe this could be a separate reach goal? Looks intriguing though!
soundmachines
euromorcego wrote:
applause

looks good! But you might consider moving the jacks to the top of the panel. A controller like this usually sits in the lowest row of a skiff, so that the rest of the rack is above/behind it. Then it makes sense to have the jacks at the top.

And, if possible, you might also consider offering a very slim stand-alone case, like for this Buchla controller. I can well imagine that people put this in front of their modular in a slim skiff.

Not enough space on a 3U like this to sacrifice element dimensions for jacks...
Sorry for not being cited but this comes in a desktop case (like our MODULOR114), then if you want you can re-house it in an eurorack case!
Cheerrs,
Dav
ryangaston
I agree that it might make more sense if the jacks and programming bits were reversed for the sake of having jacks at the top of the panel. That said, I will ABSOLUTELY get one of these once in production. Great work.
euromorcego
soundmachines wrote:

Not enough space on a 3U like this to sacrifice element dimensions for jacks...

No need to sacrifice space. Just move the block of jacks up and the knobs/display down. Otherwise the cables will block access to the encoder/display (imho).

Desktop case is good!
moegl
euromorcego wrote:
applause

I was thinking that too, that I'd want the jacks on top of the panel. it might be difficult to navigate the touchplates underneath a cave of spaghetticables. the screen could also benefit from being below the patchpoints. having a screen underneath a lot of cables could be annoying, better keep the screen visible at the bottom part then.

exciting to see this! looks like a very versatile and customizable controller that can make a performance very tactile and approachable.
insula
grande!!!! we're not worthy we're not worthy

applause applause

waiting for more news!!
scottmoon
moegl wrote:
I was thinking that too, that I'd want the jacks on top of the panel. it might be difficult to navigate the touchplates underneath a cave of spaghetticables. the screen could also benefit from being below the patchpoints. having a screen underneath a lot of cables could be annoying, better keep the screen visible at the bottom part then.

I agree. Switch the jacks position with the control position. I want one.
Plumbstone
Looks like a great performance tool for sure. +1 for swapping Jacks with control section. Are you thinking USB Midi like beatstep pro and a computer based GUI for editing setups etc?

Also any ballpark price yet?
moogboy
And suddenly, with a single product announcement, my interest in Buchla disappeared
mdoudoroff
Very cool idea, but that forest of patch points at lower right would almost assuredly be a deal killer for me. Those go in a separate 3U module up in the rack, close to where they’re needed, in the style of the Buchla 223e. I’ve already been through that hassle with the Beatstep Pro, and I’m not going back there. Just my opinion, of course.
Shwaj
mdoudoroff wrote:
Very cool idea, but that forest of patch points at lower right would almost assuredly be a deal killer for me. Those go in a separate 3U module up in the rack, close to where they’re needed, in the style of the Buchla 223e. I’ve already been through that hassle with the Beatstep Pro, and I’m not going back there. Just my opinion, of course.

Noob Delurking!

I'm going through that Beatstep Pro hassle right now. Did you find a satisfactory way to manage it? From your phrasing, it sounds like "no".

I have a similar issue with the ES-8... Since it has both ins and outs, you're guaranteed to have cross-case connections in at least one direction. One solution I've considered is to connect an ESX-8CV expander that lives on the other side of the case (haven't done so, for a variety of even more off-topic reasons).

In general, it seems that there is no electrical reason for an expander module to be placed far from its "master", so long as you can route a long-enough bus cable in the back. Is this correct?
soundmachines
To everyone:
First of all thanks for your interest!!!!! smile
Some replies!

YES to the patchpanel reversal (jacks-up).
NO to the separate panel. This has been evaluated many times but the 'technical' CONS outweight the 'practical' PROS.
KEEP in mind that the unit will be self-housed in a sturdy metal case.

Dav
Hi5
Interested
WIZARDISHUNGRY
Shwaj wrote:

I'm going through that Beatstep Pro hassle right now. Did you find a satisfactory way to manage it? From your phrasing, it sounds like "no".

I built a synthrotek combine-or into a massive mult I use for routing the BSP into the rack.
Spiked Lunch
eek!
clarke68
soundmachines wrote:
NO to the separate panel. This has been evaluated many times but the 'technical' CONS outweight the 'practical' PROS.

Works for me.

Seriously interested in this. I've been looking for a Buchla 222-like interface for Eurorack forever. I've got 5 LS1s in my system now and absolutely love them...I can't imagine anyone better than Soundmachines to make this instrument a reality.

Very much looking forward to more details on configuration/pricing/crowdfunding.
brandonlogic

seriously though, really excited about this!
ignatius
whoa! woah
MacSynth
ignatius wrote:
whoa! woah
whoa indeed!
something wonderful
mdoudoroff
soundmachines wrote:

I think you are significantly underestimating the cabling problem. I have no way to tell what sort of soft configuration options this thing will have, but I see thirty two jacks, at least twenty four of which appear to be assignable outputs. In skiff use, that implies a huge wad or splay of unusually long patch cables flopped up and across your modular.

The *only* two advantages of your approach for the modular user are that it undoubtedly lowers the cost of the product and it consumes no precious HP if they keep Arches in your skiff. But if this was two separate modules, there’s no obvious reason the two couldn’t be mounted next to each other in a skiff for those that want that configuration, or mounted at some distance from each other by customers like myself.

At this point, I feel Monome has pretty thoroughly validated Buchla’s approach of keeping the control surface and the logic separated.
atimbral
Definitely interested, especially if the jack field is moved to the top!!
starthief
Wow!
scottmoon
soundmachines wrote:
To everyone:
First of all thanks for your interest!!!!! smile
Some replies!

Dav

Dav, any idea when the Kickstarter will be up? Any chance of notifying potential people via an email signup? thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7