MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new Malekko Grooveboxes!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Author new Malekko Grooveboxes!
setupsetup
I really like Malekko and I was thrilled to read this but DO THEY LOOK UGLY.....Why? The layout seems very simple and user-friendly but everything else.......did groove-boxes ever look sharp?
coolshirtdotjpg
really looking forward to the BFF and the drum machine.

I haven't used a groovebox before, but I think it would be the perfect compliment to my paired-down euro setup.
computer controlled
These really aren't groove boxes. At all.
ablearcher
hahaha. Was the MC-202 a groovebox then?

I think the style on these is great, industrial. Drum machine, and two synths with sequencers and some modular functionality.

What is even a groovebox? does it need to have drum machine and synth functionality at the same time to get that lofty label?
computer controlled
No it was not. That term wasn't even around then. Not until the MC-303. A "groovebox" (stupid name btw) is an all in one unit.

Otherwise, anything with a sequencer would be a "groovebox".
Numanoid92
Any news on when the will be available? Seems like they disappeared
Zerius
computer controlled wrote:
No it was not. That term wasn't even around then. Not until the MC-303. A "groovebox" (stupid name btw) is an all in one unit.

Otherwise, anything with a sequencer would be a "groovebox".

I always thought that a groovebox is a machine which sequence drum and synth at the same time
stikygum
To me a groovebox is an x0x style sequencer (like mc303, electribes, bff, etc) combined with a synth in one box. So a Tb303 is a groovebox whereas the Tr808 is not (it's a drum machine). But then you have drum machines that are basically a groovebox like Rytm and Sonic Potions Lxr. Though I still consider them drum machines with expanded capabilities. Also when I hear the name groovebox I tend to feel that name is dedicated to cheap trendy gear, which is why I don't like the term. But then again you have an awesome synth like the Radikal Spectralis which costs a lot and has been marketed as like the ultimate groovebox I believe. So as long as there is the x0x sequencer combined with a bass/lead synth voice, it's a groovebox.
DiscoDevil
Synth/samples + drums + sequencer + effects = groovebox.

All in one, electronic music creation kit.
computer controlled
stikygum wrote:
To me a groovebox is an x0x style sequencer (like mc303, electribes, bff, etc) combined with a synth in one box. So a Tb303 is a groovebox whereas the Tr808 is not (it's a drum machine). But then you have drum machines that are basically a groovebox like Rytm and Sonic Potions Lxr. Though I still consider them drum machines with expanded capabilities. Also when I hear the name groovebox I tend to feel that name is dedicated to cheap trendy gear, which is why I don't like the term. But then again you have an awesome synth like the Radikal Spectralis which costs a lot and has been marketed as like the ultimate groovebox I believe. So as long as there is the x0x sequencer combined with a bass/lead synth voice, it's a groovebox.

How is the TB-303 a groovebox?
coolshirtdotjpg
Jeez, what is this, liberal arts grad school? Call it whatever, I want sound demos!
ratsnake
Hoping that they will be ready for a reveal at Sooperbooth!
bkbirge
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Jeez, what is this, liberal arts grad school? Call it whatever, I want sound demos!

SlayerBadger!
stikygum
computer controlled wrote:
stikygum wrote:

How is the TB-303 a groovebox?

The same way the Korg EA-1 is. I may be contradicting myself here, but a sequencer + synth (evened sampled waveforms like an SH-32) + drums is a groove box. Though what I was saying is that I feel people put stuff like the EA-1 in the groove box category, which would put the TB-303 in that category also. But this is why I don't like the term groove box.

So out of the 3 Malekko products, we have two groove boxes, Manther and BFF, and one drum machine, the Mr. D.
Jason Brock
dadRabbit
Jason Brock wrote:

Dead Banana
Stides
This thread crashing and burning is directly related to the amount of news about these machines. I can't believe it's been 2 months and there hasn't even been one tiny bit of comment.
Abraxis
Stides wrote:
This thread crashing and burning is directly related to the amount of news about these machines. I can't believe it's been 2 months and there hasn't even been one tiny bit of comment.

Yeah, I really dont get why they went through the trouble and expense to go to NAMM to generate hype just to let it die.

The story there was 'these dont work because snowstorm, will have board in them next week!' and then nothing.

seriously, i just don't get it
CF3
NAMM = Not Available Maybe May (if you're lucky)
rico loverde
Abraxis wrote:
Stides wrote:

Yeah, I really dont get why they went through the trouble and expense to go to NAMM to generate hype just to let it die.

The story there was 'these dont work because snowstorm, will have board in them next week!' and then nothing.

at the time that was the case in regards to the protos. things change, other issues come up. its what happens when your developing a new product and in our case 3 new products. trust me when I say the project hasn't died and these will be released. they are coming along nicely and thats about all ill say.
Jim's computer beats
Can't wait to hear these, particularly the BFF and MR. D. hyper
computer controlled
These are def high on my must have list.
Abraxis
rico loverde wrote:
Abraxis wrote:
Stides wrote:

at the time that was the case in regards to the protos. things change, other issues come up. its what happens when your developing a new product and in our case 3 new products. trust me when I say the project hasn't died and these will be released. they are coming along nicely and thats about all ill say.

That's good news, thanks for the update.
piearesquared
rico loverde wrote:

That is so good to hear/read, I put off all my gear purchases to see how the BFF pans out. I imagine something similar to the piston honda along with my 0-Coast and Scrutator would be noisy soundscape heaven
coolshirtdotjpg
Getting ready to sell my Sunn 1200s to pay for a BFF and Mr. D. I am that excited.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Page 3 of 29