MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new Malekko Grooveboxes!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Author new Malekko Grooveboxes!
kay_k
I've send them a request before and actually got a reply. Took some time.
So since this is minor I wouldn't mind if they don't reply.

One thing to add: the Manther stays in sync, no latency or so (clock from a beatstep pro here) - it just seemed that the user interface became slower BUT that can also be my perception error

Tipp: don't leave the cable patched thru power cycle cos my machine would hang at the auto tune startup.
enlovoz
Quote:
One thing to add: the Manther stays in sync, no latency or so (clock from a beatstep pro here) - it just seemed that the user interface became slower BUT that can also be my perception error

I get that, that’s what I was talking about. I don’t notice a slower reaction from the interface while midi synced.

Quote:
Tipp: don't leave the cable patched thru power cycle cos my machine would hang at the auto tune startup.

Do you mean that when you leave a cable patched in the pitch your Manther will not finish the boot process ?
kay_k
yes, the one in the Pitch CV input I mean.
It's obvious the auto tuning can't take the LFO into account.
I was just scared it's broken the first time i had that .. then I had a "duh"-moment
KoryB
calaveras wrote:
when the fuck are they going to get the BFF done?

????
enlovoz
I currently have a little skiff built around the Loquelic Iteritas and I would like to get some modules to expand the possibilities of my Manther.
I’d like to explore FM and Ringmod and I have a Moddemix so I guess I just need another oscillator and start FMing/Ringmoding with the Manther right ? Is a Dixie II+ a good choice ? It has a triangle core, does it pair well with a the panther OSC ?

Do you have other modules ideas which pair well with a Manther ?
kay_k
enlovoz wrote:
I currently have a little skiff built around the Loquelic Iteritas and I would like to get some modules to expand the possibilities of my Manther.
I’d like to explore FM and Ringmod and I have a Moddemix so I guess I just need another oscillator and start FMing/Ringmoding with the Manther right ? Is a Dixie II+ a good choice ? It has a triangle core, does it pair well with a the panther OSC ?

Do you have other modules ideas which pair well with a Manther ?


Maybe a TZFM VCO (doepfer, or else) for pitch accurate FM?
Definitely another envelope!
I have not hooked up my Manther to my modular yet, I rather like it as a stand alone box, so I don't know the levels coming out or going in to it.
enlovoz
Thanks for your answer. I have open a specific thread in the Eurorack section, maybe it’s better if we continue the discussion there.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212446
Nelson Baboon
i've had a chance to try out a manther. just got it today.

this is one of the funnest boxes I've ever used. I don't care about any sync issues that may or may not exist - so I can't comment on any of that.

the oscillators + filter + delay sound really good. but the sequencer and the other elements of the design centered around modulation, recording, etc - i'm finding that I can do a lot with what is in some sense, a relatively simple synthesizer.
RickKleffel
Nelson Baboon wrote:
i've had a chance to try out a manther. just got it today.

this is one of the funnest boxes I've ever used. I don't care about any sync issues that may or may not exist - so I can't comment on any of that.

the oscillators + filter + delay sound really good. but the sequencer and the other elements of the design centered around modulation, recording, etc - i'm finding that I can do a lot with what is in some sense, a relatively simple synthesizer.


Damn you! This is exactly what I was hoping this would be... but I'd been convinced otherwise by the blizzard of witheration directed at it ...

I realized that my first two synths, the Pro-One and the TB303 were both analog monosynths with rudimentary sequencers. I hooked 'em up, driving one with the other, and had a blast. Apparently I have not outgrown the form, in fact, it's my favorite at the moment. Having this sort of stuff is why I am at home called a seenager.

On the plus side, they're not tragically expensive out of the box, and less so on the used market. Goes to show that specs are a better point of evaluation than hearsay. Follow your gut and fire the nukes! P-A-R-T-A-Y!!!!!!
Licudi
RickKleffel wrote:
Goes to show that specs are a better point of evaluation than hearsay.


Maybe, but specs can't tell you whether a synth will be to your liking either. I find there's no substitute for personal evaluation, which is unfortunate as it can be an expensive and time-consuming way of doing things.

BTW, not heard of seenagers before. I'm still living in 2012.
nearly ghost
I keep checking this thread im the hope of some news of the BFF! Please make it happen malekko.. cool
RhythmDroid
I've been waiting for the BFF since I saw it day one at NAMM 2017


...and then FLAME comes along and beats them to the punch!!!

http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/flame2/news.html
fattyparts
Nelson Baboon wrote:
i've had a chance to try out a manther. just got it today.

this is one of the funnest boxes I've ever used. I don't care about any sync issues that may or may not exist - so I can't comment on any of that.

the oscillators + filter + delay sound really good. but the sequencer and the other elements of the design centered around modulation, recording, etc - i'm finding that I can do a lot with what is in some sense, a relatively simple synthesizer.


curious to know how you feel about the Manther now? i'm thinking of picking one up, but this thread scares me with all the complaints. Version 1.12 is out, but i've not heard if this fixes any severe bugs?
enlovoz
I've got mine for 5 months now and still love it. There is some little problems with timing while playing pattern backward and it starts a bit earlier than my other midi machines but if I put some delay everything is fine.
kay_k
V1.12 tackles one problem I saw with the machine. It is good news, but they forgot to add a way to soft start the calibration in this tuning menu.
(I always power cycle mine after a few minutes if I want to make harmonic stuff, cos the calibration drifts when the machine heats up).

I repeat what I stated before: while this thing has its bugs and short comings, it is a great synthesizer.

I really hope they work on a v2.0 firmware in secret adding all the features I wished for. Until then I use it as is.
Aiyn Zahev
So just trying to catch up on the progress. It seems the fixed the show envelope issue. Would you guys say it's in a good enough state to recommend? There's just something about the form, features and sound that's kept me interested since day 1.
kay_k
Hard to say..
I am very happy with my unit cos I always wanted some sort of 202 with a usable sequencer. And the sequencer is really good (programable probability is killer)
Some things are weird but it's a good machine.

I'd swap if Tubbutec would get a CPU mod for the original out.

My biggest complain in the moment is that they have yet no way of programing an acid slide (mid gate) in. If you make a note to have 100% gate the next one gets the same pitch.
Aiyn Zahev
Thanks for the info. I'm very close to buying one just to see for myself.

I can't figure out what this means:
"My biggest complain in the moment is that they have yet no way of programing an acid slide (mid gate) in. If you make a note to have 100% gate the next one gets the same pitch."
kay_k
Aiyn Zahev wrote:

I can't figure out what this means:
"My biggest complain in the moment is that they have yet no way of programing an acid slide (mid gate) in. If you make a note to have 100% gate the next one gets the same pitch."


basically .. what I want is to program a legato with slide, but it's not possible with that machine.
bimbom
I see they’ve announced the manther voice eurorack device
Probably a better route to go than full grooveboxes
Aiyn Zahev
Well for better or worse I'll have one soon, fingers crossed
kay_k
bimbom wrote:
I see they’ve announced the manther voice eurorack device
Probably a better route to go than full grooveboxes


reason n°1 for the box is the sequencer tho .. modular options are there already. (3340 Vco + Filter or Atlantis or roland 500 series stuff)
deftinwulf
The BFF looks good and I get why everyone wants it, but for me, I'm gonna need some news and demos on that MR. D drum machine. love applause
bimbom
There are likely to be better , cheaper sequencers
My manther experience was mixed and the fw updates only touched on a few issues.
Based on manther , I’m personally very cautious about their other planned boxes though I’m sure their eurorack stuff is good.
Aiyn Zahev
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Interestingly mine was defective. I bought it used and when I got it, something inside it was rattling around.

Turns out someone had forgot to screw in the oscillator PCB and once I put that back in it worked, but was distorted and the VCA would simply not close. I called Malekko and they took it in, repaired and sent it back all for free.

That's pretty cool in my book.

So far It's a weird mix of things. I can definitely see why some people haven't liked it, I can hear it's short comings, but at the same time I genuinely like it. Every time I turn it on I have a blast and the sound is something I really thing I could use in my music.

It's has a kind of simple charm to me, and I guess I got it just cheap enough that I'm not too concerned about it's short-comings so far.

Anyway, here's a brief example of fiddling with it:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Page 27 of 29
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group