MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Zoom 1201/1202/1204 opinions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Zoom 1201/1202/1204 opinions
MindMachine
I am looking at adding an oddball 1U unit to my rack. These have been on my radar for a while.

Just looking for some odd lo-fi type effects. Mostly for electronic and sampled material, not for rock band sounds.

I have a Mangler, some DeltaLabs and a Lexicon Vortex for weird along with an old Microverb III for darker verb and a TC300 for bright verb. I am looking to loose the TC300 for a Kurzweil Rumour. The Zoom would mostly be used for effects (maybe reverb too).
soundinett
I have a 1204 for years which I use mostly for reverbs. Works pretty well. Easy to use. Love it.
It is said, that this machine was a favorite of Brian Eno
MindMachine
Well I scored a 1202. It seems to be the same programs as a 1204 but without the user presets?

If I really like it, I might even nab a 1201. They are very inexpensive.

soundinett
applause Clap
MindMachine
I'm really impressed with the Zoom 1202. Really happy. So went ahead with this:

I'm selling my Lexicon LXP-1 and LXP-5 and maybe my Kurzweil Mangler too. I like the 1202 very much. Hopefully the 1201 even more!
tuj
1204 has crap reverbs but a surprisingly good vocoder and some ok distortions.
MindMachine
tuj wrote:
1204 has crap reverbs but a surprisingly good vocoder and some ok distortions.

What do you use for good reverb? I am currently using TC 300 for clean reverbs and Alesis Microverb III for dark reverbs. TC is on its way out.

I need to upgrade and was thinking possibly a Kurzweil Rumour, so I am obviously low budget.
tuj
For budget reverb, I recommend either the Quadraverb or the Sony DPS-55 if you can find it. The Sony unit is highly under-rated and has some really surprisingly good reverbs in it.

Beyond that, any mid-range Lexicon PCM box is killer, so is the Sony R7 if you can handle menu-diving. The Rumor is also really good if you can score it under $300.

Lastly there is the Korg DRV-3000. This one is funny, it has a TV remote control for it! It has very dark-sounding reverbs, but they are very unique.
MindMachine
Thanks for the tips. That Sony DPS unit looks crazy. I've never seen that one. The R7, I think Robert Rich uses that.

I'll likely go for the Rumour. I was going to sell my Mangler but changed my mind last night.
JustGlyphs
Has anyone tried a circuit bent Zoom 1200 series box? They're pretty cheap and seem fun
tuj
JustGlyphs wrote:
Has anyone tried a circuit bent Zoom 1200 series box? They're pretty cheap and seem fun

I never circuit-bent it, but I had a 1204 and the distortion and vocoder were both surprisingly good. The reverbs were awful.
Mostin77
I had a 1204 back in the 90’s that I used on everything, recently thought about picking up another one as they seem to go for about 60 quid at the moment.

Exactly how bad is the reverb on them? I really can’t remember!

I guess it might be still worth grabbing one if the distortion is good, I think I could use that
kragg
I've had the Zoom RFX2000 for a while, back in the early 00s. I really liked it, i used it a lot on stage.
The delays were great, and the vocoder very useable.
The reverbs were not amazing, but great to use live, and fun to tweak.
Another good point of the RFX2000 (if you need ot use it live) is that it is not heavy, and the rack is not deep at all (quite the opposite of vintage Lexicons), so i could take it on a gigback, and put it on top of a MS20 wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1