MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Studiologic Sledge v2.0
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Studiologic Sledge v2.0
SnakePlissken
Well today I was told I would have to contact my local Berhinger importer after asking Uli when the DM12 would be made available in Australia
I sent an email to them but i know I will get some weird reply like, "we don't know, there is no definite ETA atm"

Some how after reading through different Berhinger retailers, I came across the Yellow SS v2.0 for $1,100 AUD. I was curious to understand why I chose the Blofeld KB over this. I knew the Blofeld was a really deep and articulate beast, but its immediacy was sort of lost on me
SS V2 is for some reason really devoid of any real demos of people's usage of this synth. I get what it does, I get how it works, I like it's simple workflow and I like its sound
I can fit it on my desk by moving some other stuff around, so the question, is this synth just one that people have given a wide berth based on not liking the sound, or is there something I am missing altogether?

I am looking into an MPC Live, so while I wait for that to land, I would like something that I can do hands on like the DM12 (wishful thinking) or SSv2

Do any owners want to chime in what the pros and cons of this Synth can and cannot do?

I have in my set up currently

Blofeld Keys
Ultranova
BS2
JD Xi
Strechfett

TR-8
Nord 3P Drum

BS Pro
H9 Max

I can track 16 analog into my DAW so generally I have 8 instruments going at any given time. I do a lot of sequencing to layer live, and then I tweak sounds on the fly while possibly playing simple keys
The BS2 also can play soft synth on Ipad if needed and another Ipad does Nord 3p Drum sequencing
I am still finding my way but each track I do is different from the last using different techniques
I always try and do something different but I find I am restricted by menu diving of the current gear I own

Generally when I do a live set, I will have up to 8 instruments going at once and I somehow manage to control it all, gives me a great sense of achievement and is hell more fun than playing with a mouse in Pro tools

So would a SSv2 ( I know it's a VA) be something @ $ point, possibly that synth I could sequence and do some more complex hands on than the current gear I own?
I almost feel my JD Xi has out lived it self, but I can re purpose it, it has a great XOX x4 sequencer in it and I got this dirt cheap

I think once I get my hands on a MPC live, I can rethink about what i can keep and what I can sell
abruzzi
I thought the Sledge was a Blofeld with more knobs (and a few limitations like not all the filters are available unless you send MIDI commands)? If would definitely add more immediacy over the blofeld.

I think a lot of the negatives people had on the synth were the color and the ports on the side, not the rear. The keybed should be nice (Fatar TP9 I believe)
Zymos
More knobs, but you loose a good bit of the features of the Blofeld...
rowsbywoof
I actually really dig its looks, and that includes both the yellow and black version. The ports on the side are just typical Hartmann design, and hell, my Sub 37 does that as well... No reason to really worry about that.

I was sort of wondering the same thing, though. I love my Blofeld, and can get around its OS quickly, but having the immediate access to so many parameters does seem really nice. I've heard it's a watered down Blofeld, as well, but I don't really know what that entails. Looking at it, spec-wise, it seems 1:1 right down to the 60Meg of sample memory.
diophantine
I have both the Sledge and the desktop Blofeld. Honestly haven't used the Blofeld a whole ton, partially due to the interface, but mostly due to having been moving a lot of stuff around in my studio since I got it.

The Sledge is a great synth - easy access to nearly every feature with a dedicated knob or switch. I do have some minor complaints which are listed in another thread here, some of which were apparently corrected in the 2.0 firmware.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is the fact that it is very physically deep. Not only is the synth itself 16" deep, but the display & furthest controls are 14" back. As a point of reference, my Chroma Polaris, DX7IID, and Korg Wavestation are all only ~10" deep, control-wise. This makes it tough in a multi-tier keyboard stand.
SnakePlissken
Thx for your input guys, I will go and view 1 and see how it fits into the scheme of things
I like the sounds of the Blo, I like the immediacy of the Sledge. I got the Blo super cheap, around $600 USD and this was the KB version so it was kind of a no brainer
I like VA's for some reason, I currently have 4. I will go and audition one and get a feel for it. I do have room for it, just have to make sure it's going to be ergonomic on the desk

Oh edit, can you make patches on the Sledge that can be uploaded to the Blo?
abruzzi
Yeah, I've been tempted by the Sledge as well. I have a Blofeld desktop. I like the sound, but don't use it very much--don't know why. My problem is I have no space. If I can convert my ESQ-1 into an ESQm, that would free up space for the sledge and I might jump on one. (though at the same time, I might go for a TS10 instead because poly aftertouch, and I love Ensoniq)
Zymos
rowsbywoof wrote:
Looking at it, spec-wise, it seems 1:1 right down to the 60Meg of sample memory.

Only 1 filter to the Blofeld's 2, only 2 part multitimbral to the Blofeld's 16. I think it has a lot less modulation possibilities as well.
SnakePlissken
abruzzi wrote:
Yeah, I've been tempted by the Sledge as well. I have a Blofeld desktop. I like the sound, but don't use it very much--don't know why. My problem is I have no space. If I can convert my ESQ-1 into an ESQm, that would free up space for the sledge and I might jump on one. (though at the same time, I might go for a TS10 instead because poly aftertouch, and I love Ensoniq)

I use the Blo on almost every track, either as keys or sequenced. I love its weight and shimmer. I don't like that while I do sequence it, I need to menu dive to alter the sound drastically.
The Sledge on the other hand has this similar sound but ability to hands on alter on the fly, which is what I would like to do

Zymos wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:
Looking at it, spec-wise, it seems 1:1 right down to the 60Meg of sample memory.

Only 1 filter to the Blofeld's 2, only 2 part multitimbral to the Blofeld's 16. I think it has a lot less modulation possibilities as well.

I like that you can double layer the sound, ie 2 instruments very easily and still filter 1 on the fly
It's just a shame there are very user demos on YT to show the true ability of this
1986Bowler
I ended up getting a Black one.

I have been diving into the features and reading the manual.

Did a sysex dump in both directions- I've packed it full with 999 presets from some free patches other guys have made to try them out- there's some overlap, and I'm sure they will get weeded out as time goes along and I create my own.

I'm happy- love layering sounds- and there's some great ambient pads!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1