MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WMD MSCL stereo compressor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author WMD MSCL stereo compressor
reppiks
Details online!
https://wmdevices.com/collections/eurorack-modules/products/mscl

MSCL
$249
Only available through Dealers

Release Date: Coming Soon

MSCL is a stereo compressor in 4 hp designed for your master bus to help "glue" your mix together. Inspired by the DBX "Over Easy" style compressor, it features independent attack and release knobs, output gain, and an all-in-one knob function for compression which decreases threshold, increases gain and ratio all with one turn. Limit Switch allows the MSCL to act more like a peak limiter. The threshold switch lets you compress signals of different amplitudes. It also features a side chain input for classic ducking sounds on stereo tracks.

Stereo Compressor in 4 HP
Sidechain input for classic ducking sounds
Easy and intuitive design
Threshold switch lets you compress modular level signals as well as lower level sources
Limit switch limits the makeup gain on the comp knob to make compressor act more like a peak limiter
CONTROLS

Comp knob: adjusts makeup gain, threshold, ratio simultaneously.

- 1.25:1 to infinite:1 ratio

Attack Knob: Controls how fast the compressor will react to incoming transients

Attack speed: 0.15ms/dB to 0.1s/dB

Release Knob: Controls the speed in which the compressor will release.

Release speed: 0.6ms/dB to 4s/dB

Gain Knob: Adds up to +-35dB on the output

Threshold Switch: Changes the threshold rainge

Three ranges: -15dBu, -4dBu, +5dBu

Limit Switch: Limits the comp knob's makeup gain. Makes the MSCL operate more as a peak limiter.

Three selections: None, 9dB, 3dB

Other Notable Things

Depth: 38mm.

Current Draw: +-50mA.

Size: 4HP.

Input Impedance: 20k

Side Chain Impedance 100k

Output Impedance: 220 ohms

RMS and Adaptive Detector Response.

Green/Red indicator for Gain/Reduction.

AC Coupled signal pass.

DC coupled bypass

AC coupled Sidechain
Funky40
wow, i was waiting since ever for exactly such thing !

threshold, ratio, gain on one knob applause

4 hp we're not worthy

edit: wait, attack up to 0,1sec ?? cry make it up to 0,25sec...cause we do not only patch techno drums !
This number comes from patching ALOTS with modular thru comps.......my opinion
/on the other side : true, one might lose some finetune sensibility then....buut, make the knob adjustment unlinear
WMDevices
Funky40 wrote:

edit: wait, attack up to 0,1sec ?? cry make it up to 0,25sec...cause we do not only patch techno drums !
This number comes from patching ALOTS with modular thru comps.......my opinion
/on the other side : true, one might lose some finetune sensibility then....buut, make the knob adjustment unlinear

The attack/ release times are specified PER DECIBEL. So overall attack/ release goes nice and slow if you want. As well as very fast
Jalopy
Only available through Dealers
Mercutio
applause

nedd two... one for ducking my bass and an other to glue and squash !
noisejockey
Interesting (and IMO good on paper) design choices to limit the size to 4hp; and yes, having two as per Mercutio would be superb: Either compress and limit, or compress and sidechain.

Will be interesting to see how the combo knob works in terms of flexibility. Some kinds of compressor designs kind of do this anyway (like Vari-Mu compression, where ratio is tied to how hard you hit it with input levels).

I adore the decision to not CV anything. Not only does that keep this unit small, but in a modular setup, one can decide to combine this with a cross fader (dust off those µFades, people) to do parallel compression in the rack in a very small space. (Hey, WMDevices, does the WMD/SSF Blender maintain stereo imaging if used as a crossfader with this for parallel compression?)

What's this thing's behavior like at extreme levels? Does is saturate? Hard or soft? Blow up? Make grilled cheese?
auxren
THAT4301 based?
Hovercraft
This looks perfect--agree with all the design choices from what I can see. I've found having a compressor is essential with the SMR and other highly resonant modules. Stereo, 4HP, soft-knee compression?--All good. Currently using Streams as my compressor, but that semi-permanently prevents other uses and the MSCL is smaller and likely better as a dedicated compressor. Looks perfect to slot in next to my Performance Mixer.
cheliosheart
Looks great, I actually really love the other WMD Compressor but I found that I never use CV with it.

The Limiting feature looks very useful, hp size is great, and can do stereo! If it saturates like anything close to how the WMD Compressor saturates, I'm sold on two as well.
tuj
geez I have only been asking for a simple non-CV compressor with low hp for 5 years now. FINALLY. applause
coolshirtdotjpg
cheliosheart wrote:
Looks great, I actually really love the other WMD Compressor but I found that I never use CV with it.

The Limiting feature looks very useful, hp size is great, and can do stereo! If it saturates like anything close to how the WMD Compressor saturates, I'm sold on two as well.

Yeah, I'd be curious about that as well. I'll probably pass on this because I already have the WMD compressor and Streams, but if it sounds anything like WMD comp that would be worth it, I think. I primarily use it for adding saturation and a bit of dynamics control to the drum bus. It's one of my favorite comps/saturation units of all time, including my 500 series outboard gear. I also love the DBX over-easy so this seems like a perfect match.
mopoco
glad i waited so long,
looking forward for sound examples!
damase
Description says designed for master bus... Im Interested to know how well this will work with extreme compression and radical sound shaping, saturation ect...
dash80
Basically saving all my money for everything new WMD / WMD/SSF has coming out... w00t
autopoiesis
Looks like Control just got these in stock love

One thing I haven't seen documented is the functionality of the SC/IN/OUT switch right above the jacks. How does that work?
WMDevices
autopoiesis wrote:

One thing I haven't seen documented is the functionality of the SC/IN/OUT switch right above the jacks. How does that work?

OUT means bypassed, and signal flows from in jack to out jack directly. Bypass Mode.

IN means that the compressor is active, and the input audio is the source for the MSCL's detector circuitry. Normal mode.

SC means the compressor is active, and the SC IN (sidechain) is the source for the MSCL's detector circuitry. Sidechain mode.
Dark Barn
Edit: Nevermind, listen to WMD!

Not sure how it works but it looks like it might be an LED indicator for when the side chain is active on your signal.
nimmen
Very interesting module, if I get this right, SC is mono and affects L and R?
WMDevices
nimmen wrote:
Very interesting module, if I get this right, SC is mono and affects L and R?

Yes exactly, the audio path is true stereo. The detector circuitry is joint-stereo (so left and right don't get weird with panned material), like a proper bus compressor.

The side chain input is mono and takes over gain control on L and R when the switch is set to SC.
pyjamarama
I'm curious about this one! been after a small stereo compressor for a while. tried an audio damage one once but was a noisy little fellow..

would anyone care to speculate on this module's behaviour in that respect?
Xssory
got one of these coming in today smile v "pumped"
pyjamarama
cool! do let us know if it's nice and quiet. obviously raises the general noise floor, I'm just hoping it doesn't add too much of it's own in terms of high pitched whines and such. I'm assuming not but don't take much for granted.
Paranormal Patroler
Patently waiting on reviews. I love the simplicity of the design, looks very handy to have a couple around.
Xssory
Looks like a pair of THAT 4301's on the back - gonna rack it up this evening & I'll report back
Jumbuktu
Looks like it might be good just before the outputs on my lunch box. I have ruined a few good takes by unexpected clipping.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4