MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WMD/SSF Modbox
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author WMD/SSF Modbox
hawkfuzz
http://wmdevices.com/collections/wmd-ssf-eurorack-modular/products/mod box

I'm not understanding what this thing does at all.

I guess each jack column is per knob. 2 LFOs
LoFi Junglist
Edit: it looks like the initial description wasn't clear, there will be enough LED indicator states to show all of the modes that are squeezed into this one.

Fell free to read my Initial grumpy response, quoted below w00t
savethisrocketship
I've been eyeing this since they announced it right before NAMM - 2 LFO's (not identical), a S&H plus you have access to the internal noise (but S&H can take an external signal). Each LFO can be synced to a clock or run free - when synced the rate knobs for each become dividers/multipliers of clock. LFO 1 can be sine, triangle or saw and has [edit: 2 phase offsets] 3 phase offsets - individual jacks for each (0, 120, and 240 degrees). LFO 2 is a variable shape saw>tri>ramp that can be continuously modulated (probably offered on many designs but the one that comes to mind is QPLFO). Seems handy & I am a big fan of the quality of the WMD/SSF modules. Hope this helps thumbs up
savethisrocketship
LoFi Junglist wrote:
Ewwwww.

As much as I love their collaboration work, this is the first WMD/ssf module I won't be buying, and wouldn't take if it was free.

Not only are functions hidden by hold down button menus, theres multiple settings based on how long you hold down buttons or tap the buttons... And then output functions also change depending on what settings you've made,.

This obviously should have been two different modules, and they've been ruined by shoehorning them both behind one panel with limited controls.

Maybe I'm missing something but pressing the button just selects waveform for LFO 1. Press-and-hold selects which (1, 2, both, or none) respond to clock signal... seems like a set-and-forget in most cases... but I could be missing something hmmm.....
hawkfuzz
I think that's correct. If it was Peaks style I'm sure that would've been explained.
boramx
Hmmm, 120 & 240 degrees outs?

Triangulature?

Is this for modulating waltz time and 12/8 ballads?

Panning in Eno's speaker arrangement?

albiedamned
I think this is an impressive amount of functionality for only 6 HP. This thing has capabilities that are close to a PEG, which is 20 HP. When it's in sync mode, both LFOs have CV controlled clock divisions just like PEG, and the second LFO has CV controlled skew just like PEG. Plus it has a S&H and noise as added bonuses. I don't like the various types of long button presses, which could be confusing. But that's the only negative to me. Well, that plus I guess I don't see the point of the 120 and 240 degree outputs.
hawkfuzz
Uploaded to MG for anyone who thinks it may still be usable
Jumbuktu
hawkfuzz wrote:
Uploaded to MG for anyone who thinks it may still be usable

This will be an essential part of my 38hp Phonogene Lunchbox. So much modulation in so little space. The WMD DPLR and MMF are already in there, and I I am prepared to sacrifice something else to make space for this.

The description seems pretty clear about what it does. The first LFO provides 3 phases of 'quadrature' ['triature'?]with variable wave shapes. The second one is like the one on the Korg MS20. The S&H is just ... a standard S&H, with clock normalled to LFO2 and input normalled to white noise, so you can get the standard clocked random outputs without any patching.

About the only tricky bit is the different sync behaviour based on how long you hold down the button. It's not as though there are multitudes of arcane options to memorise, and anyway I am prepared to accept that even a random selection will be interesting and usable.
Dogma
How can anyone be complaining about this? Sweet modulation source. I've not met one of these modules that's disappointed and I'm sure this won't either
Futuresound
The interface might not be for everyone, but I bet it will be simple in practice. Tap vs press is super simple to understand on the Spectrum, and here there's even axtra text explaining the functions.

I immediately think for 3-against-4 modulations, or 3 against 2, both of which I rather like smile
hawkfuzz
I hope my sarcasm was apparent.

I do think this will be a great addition to my stuff.
MossGarden
I think this looks great, 6hp, two clockable LFO's and a S+H function which is normaled to the LFO and samples internal noise! So much modulation there, including a random source. I'll be keeping an eye on this thing!
TheRosskonian
Jumbuktu wrote:
About the only tricky bit is the different sync behavior based on how long you hold down the button. It's not as though there are multitudes of arcane options to memorise, and anyway I am prepared to accept that even a random selection will be interesting and usable.

I also own a lot of the collaborative line and am a little put off by the multiple button hold modes. The way they implement the buttons on the mini-slew is great, but this one seems a little too much for one tiny button, on paper at least. That being said, I'm still getting one. It looks like the LEDs explain which LFO is in sync, so I'll be ok with that. But I can imagine there will be some minor frustration in getting the timing of the button presses right. Here's hoping maybe there will be a jumper where you can manually set one of the LFOs and the button only controls the sync of the other. But again, this isn't a big enough deal to turn me off of this module.
NastyNachos
Hey guys, I just changed up the website description to be a little simpler. It was a little confusing with the hold times because I missed mentioning that the LEDs next to the rate knobs turn red if they are sync'd. It just cycles through the sync options as you hold...

Each LFO can be sync'd individually or they can both be sync'd. Sorry for the hold function, but we just wanted to give you all the options it a simple 'set and forget' fashion as mentioned earlier.

Here is the new description.

WAVE SHAPE BUTTON (hold): Tempo sync the LFOs to an external clock via the Sync input. When the LED next to a RATE knob is red (may look purple when the blue LED is on), the respective LFO is clock sync'd.
analogPedagog
Tapping the button changes the waveform. Holding the button down cycles sync function for the two LFOs. The RED portion of the LEDs will light up when synced as NastyNachos said. wink
starthief
This really doesn't seem difficult to use smile

And now I feel a need to rethink my future modulation plans.
BaloErets
This will absolutely be making it's way into my rack. Huge fuctionality-value in such little HP. Looking forwards to playing w/ it.
Jaypee
Would have personally preferred having a button to switch and chose between
90, 120, 180, 240 etc
but it's great.
Hope there is a MK2 with 90 and 180 outputs smile
gonkulator
I think this paired the Mini Slew will be quite the combo. I am not a fan of the multi-function buttons that require remembering what they do (would rather, e.g., have a button for each function) but at least there is some printing on this to clue you in. The 120/240 should be interesting.
analogPedagog
For those who are wondering about the phase relationship -

It isn't that big of a difference in terms of modulating stuff and it actually is a bit more expressive having the additional phase offset.
Like the rest of the collaboration series, we have added something new to the modular realm beyond what you might consider traditional - which is what SSF and WMD like to do with our designs.
I don't think we mentioned that the MODBOX can also work as a VCO that can track 8-10 octaves. The phase relation makes some really cool super saws!
And if you already have some modules that can do quadrature, you can get more phase relationships out of modbox as well. wink
We think it works and sounds great and hope you do too!
drewfx1
analogPedagog wrote:

I don't think we mentioned that the MODBOX can also work as a VCO that can track 8-10 octaves.

woah

Can it work as a PLL with the sync at audio rate?
albiedamned
Wow that's a pretty big feature you forgot to mention! Do both LFOs track V/oct? An audio demo would be great. Modulating the skew of the second LFO while it plays at audio rate should sound interesting...
nangu
What happens after a power cycle? Does it remember what mode it's supposed to be in, or does it revert to a default state?

If it reverts to a default state, I'm hoping that the state will be where both LFOs are synced.

It looks fantastic! I'll be buying more than one of these if they don't contribute to my "why does this patch sound different than it did yesterday" startup headaches..
Dogma
analogPedagog wrote:
For those who are wondering about the phase relationship -

It isn't that big of a difference in terms of modulating stuff and it actually is a bit more expressive having the additional phase offset.
Like the rest of the collaboration series, we have added something new to the modular realm beyond what you might consider traditional - which is what SSF and WMD like to do with our designs.
I don't think we mentioned that the MODBOX can also work as a VCO that can track 8-10 octaves. The phase relation makes some really cool super saws!
And if you already have some modules that can do quadrature, you can get more phase relationships out of modbox as well. wink
We think it works and sounds great and hope you do too!

So this would play oh so nice with the pdo smile

Yeah I think you might wanna add the Osc functionality to the module "description" that's huge for some people as it can be a secondary Osc
I could def see one in my rack. This and the e330 would be killer combo for a smaller set up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3