MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stillson Hammer vs Varigate 8 + Voltage Block
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Stillson Hammer vs Varigate 8 + Voltage Block
khiner
Thinking about replacing my Stillson Hammer II and pressure points with a Varigate 8 + Voltage Block. Seems like they cover the same ground but are much more playable and with more tracks.

Has anyone else considered a similar switch? For those who are familiar with both options, is there anything you'd miss from the Stillson or PP?
hawkfuzz
I thought about it. Loads more presets at once instead of switching the chip, seems that every function was stable at launch. Song mode is a great feature that I would love on the Stillson Hammer.

I'd miss HP if I went the other route though.
Shwaj
Bump!

With all the buzz about Varigate + VB in the past month, maybe some more people have opinions on this topic?

thumbs up
Dark Barn
I own and use both, and in a way still feel like I'm learning on both, even though I've owned the Stillson Hammer mkii for a good while now.

Generally I end up using the SH for sequencing melodies, and the Varigate for sequencing rhythms, the CVs on the Varigate for other melodies sometimes, and the Voltage Block almost exclusively for sequencing non-v/oct CV.

Since I'm really green on the Varigate + VB take the following notes with a gain of salt.

Some things I prefer about the SH: the CV inputs/modulation buses occasionally (but not always!) lead to musical variations that would be very hard/impossible to program. The octave constraints system feels more intuitive and can be changed while the sequence is running. The overall 8v range. I like the random function on the SH for quickly creating/auditioning novel melodies or other parts.

Some things I prefer about the Varigate 8 + VB: Ratcheting works great and is intuitive compared to the fiddly SH system. The random system on the Varigate is very deep and perfect for creating parts that have some life to them. Song mode!

Depending on what I'm doing I might prefer the random or quantize system on either one.

Edit: some features I think would make both of these sequencers better:

Stillson Hammer: Ratcheting that stayed in its lane. Although I sometimes like the current ratcheting for making variations the way it does. A ratcheting sub menu! A song mode or CV addressable preset mode!

Varigate 8 + Voltage Block: Quantize settings that are shared between the two. The option to exclude Voltage Block channels from randomization (this might exist and I just haven't found it yet. Will edit this out if that's the case!) The step edit function on the Voltage Block should freeze the CV step on the Varigate 8+ (this is really a minor complaint.)
Sorenroi
Just switched from Stillson hammer to voltage block, using knit rider for sending gates. I find it way better and more fun than SH which always left me feeling overwhelmed and doing more tweaking than jamming.
tauburn
I have the stillson hammer currently. Upgraded to this from a varigate 4. Overall strongly wish i had purchased the varigate 8 instead. It seemed like too much money to buy the varigate 8 and voltage block together, but i mostly want trigger sequencing than cv. The main issue i have with the stillson hammer is the completely useless ratcheting. I really don't understand what the intended use of it is unless you're making music that has no tempo. The thing i do like about it a lot however is the randomization function. It's not really a bad sequencer, but it's just not what i needed. I basically never program melodies. If i could, i probably would not get either and just go with the eloquencer.

Sorenroi wrote:
Just switched from Stillson hammer to voltage block, using knit rider for sending gates. I find it way better and more fun than SH which always left me feeling overwhelmed and doing more tweaking than jamming.

I almost did exactly this, but the lack of probability kills the knit rider for me.
ssirKriss
Love my stillson hammers. Randomizing is easier on it. Best thing about it is CV over the presets. Great being able to sequence the patterns using another sequencer!
I wish all sequencers had that feature.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1