MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
STILL working on the logged out and session timeout issue - have a couple new strategies I'll be trying over the weekend. We will get this fixed! Thanks for your patience and sorry for the hassle.

Video newbie looking for advice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Video newbie looking for advice

Daisuk

Hey video folks! I mostly hang out in the eurorack section of Muffs, but have been drawn over here lately (a long term goal of mine has been to combine music making with visuals). I used to write off video synthesis as kind of one dimensional, but have seen some very interesting videos lately, and seeing as the video modules seem to interface so well with audio/cv modules, which I have a lot of, I'm thinking about dipping my toes into the video synth world.

But where to start! From what I gather you can use a lot of CV modules to do things to the video synth modules, and also use filters, and even oscillators (but only as modulators, right?) - so, what are ...

Where to begin? What should I read about first? Are there any "introduction to video synthesis" articles laying around?

And basically, coming from the audio world with quite a few cv processors and manglers, what are some of the basics that I will need? I've been thinking about the Visual Cortex, which looks cool, but have also thought about maybe starting a bit lighter to get a feel for it before splashing the dosh.

Some questions -

- Only video oscillators can create video signals, right? Or are there transformers that could take audio signals as well?
- Where would you typically output your video signal (what type of PC interface would you need, for instance?), and how would you record it (preferably in sync with music)?
- Will all CV modules from the audio world work with video modules? Is the CV range of video modules the same as with audio modules (+/- 5v)?
- Are there any video sampler modules on the horizon (that could say load up video clips from an sd card)?
- Can you use audio VCA's and FX modules (like delays) with video modules?

That's a start. Sorry for sounding like an idiot, it's probably because I am when it comes to this stuff. smile

nerdware

Oscillators are the main video generator, but the Visual Cortex also generates ramp signals, and the Navigator generates rotating ramps.

The video outputs are analogue, so you'd need a converter to display video on a computer monitor. E.g. a composite/s-video to DVI upscaler. I use an analogue->SDI converter with audio inputs, so I can record audio and video in sync. However, this also requires an SDI capture device, like an SDI card for a computer.

LZX video signals are in the 0-1V range. Anything outside that will be clipped. However, a module's input attenuators will be effective on many signals. You just get a more limited range on the pot. Some processing with an attenuator/offset module may also help.

No video sampler module, but if you can find a Roland P-10 on ebay, that sampler's output can be fed into a video synth. You may also be able to use the video output from a computer, if you have the right kind of downscaler. Unfortunately, these tend to be expensive.

Further info can be found on the Getting Started page.

Daisuk

Sweet! Many thanks for the info, nerdware. I'll check out the Getting Started page, can't believe I didn't see that. Thanks again. smile

Ddorward

if u decide to take the video plunge, i have a nice system im selling...... im into lasers now.

ObfuscatedVisuals

- Only video oscillators can create video signals, right? Or are there transformers that could take audio signals as well?

You can directly connect audio signals but it's of limited use without running it through a CV convertor

- Where would you typically output your video signal (what type of PC interface would you need, for instance?), and how would you record it (preferably in sync with music)?

For live preview I use small LCD monitors that were intended for portable/auto use. LZX also recently announced their own LCD display with a built in video encoder.
https://www.lzxindustries.net/products/liquid-telly/

Otherwise you can use CRT's or video projectors or as mentioned run the signal through a convertor/upscaler into whatever display you like.

There are a variety of ways to record.. I mostly use a standalone DVD recorder and a Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro

- Will all CV modules from the audio world work with video modules? Is the CV range of video modules the same as with audio modules (+/- 5v)?

You'll need the bridge module to convert the CV
https://www.lzxindustries.net/products/bridge/

- Are there any video sampler modules on the horizon (that could say load up video clips from an sd card)?

There are inexpensive SD card mediaplayers on ebay.. one is the brand Keedox... it will playback video clips but it's not a "sampler"

Note: If you want to use more than one of these kind of devices at once you'll have to get a timebase corrector or the LZX timebase module. If you only have one video source you can lock the timebase for the whole system to that device.

http://analoguehaven.com/lzxindustries/colortimebasecorrector/

- Can you use audio VCA's and FX modules (like delays) with video modules?

Yes but the results are kinda meh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lDJh075laA

Daisuk

Hey, thanks a lot for the info, obfuscated! I really appreciate it. Still undecided about this venture, might just start with some DIY cadet modules to get going. Thanks again, much appreciate the info. smile

ObfuscatedVisuals

Daisuk wrote:
Hey, thanks a lot for the info, obfuscated! I really appreciate it. Still undecided about this venture, might just start with some DIY cadet modules to get going. Thanks again, much appreciate the info. smile

No problem.. I know it's a good chunk of cash but you should probably start with the Visual Cortex module because it has everything you need to start synthesizing and processing video.

If you want to get a functional system you'll need to build many of the cadet modules and you may not end up with the functionality of the Cortex.. however once you have the cortex any of the cadet modules would be complementary.

However.. if you go go the cadet route...

You will need both of these to output a signal
Cadet II RGB Encoder < included with cortex
Cadet I Sync Generator < included with cortex

At least one of these to generate a signal
Cadet IX VCO < cortex includes an animation generator
Cadet IV Dual Ramp Generator < cortex includes ramp generation
Cadet III Video Input < cortex includes video input

One of these to modify the signal
Cadet VI Fader < cortex includes three channels of fader/mixer
Cadet VII Processor < cortex includes three channels of processing
Cadet X Multiplier < cortex includes three channels of multiplier

Cadet V Scaler <- converts 1v CV to 5v CV good to have if you want to use your existing eurorack modules

Daisuk

Ah, this is great! I've been wondering about just this, so that's very useful info, thanks again. smile If I had a lot of spare cash I would've gone for the Visual Cortex, but it's a bit out of my price range for now. Right now I'm leaning towards getting an ADDAC 221 to use with the Resolume software, see where that takes me. I'm pretty sure a video synth would be way more fun to use though, so we'll see what happens. smile

ObfuscatedVisuals

If nothing else I'd say to get one of these but they aren't available anymore :(

http://bleeplabs.com/store/hss3jb/

Not cheap but you might be interested and they appear to be in stock..

http://jonesvideo.com/prod_mvip.html

or maybe this..
http://www.narrat1ve.com/VideoMessTool.html

or this..
http://synth-punk.blogspot.com/2010/08/vco-schematic.html

FetidEye

I went the Cadet route, bought the system 21 . (pcb only)
Before that I made a Gieskes 3trinsRGB and a OSCope

Now I can sync my audio VCO's with the sync generator and use them for video.
Today I made a (eurorack) modulation rack for live performance, that will control the Cadet system.
Lots of envelopes, VCA's, LFO's and sequencers, and audio input + PP&brains for touch based event triggers.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1