MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Orbital
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Orbital
leeski
Hey! There back

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/feb/02/orbital-return-split-bri tish-dance-duo-tour-dates-new-material-kinetic
erstlaub
Guess they've got another tax bill due, what is this, the 3rd or 4th time they've got back together?
gasboss775
Cool, thanks for posting leeski! The Chewbacca Defense
leeski
erstlaub wrote:
Guess they've got another tax bill due, what is this, the 3rd or 4th time they've got back together?

Wow! yr positive then hihi
craigie77
Awesome news......

one pf the best live acts around ..
erstlaub
Acht, I used to love them as a kid but the diminishing returns have left me somewhat cynical. The last thing I thought half decent was probably insides.

I once saw them play the quietest ever gig in Edinburgh where they were literally being washed out by the cars passing Princes St Gardens.
leeski
hihi ambi Orbital applause

sure it wasn't the Orb seriously, i just don't get it hihi

Yeah i kinda agree with the 'Insides'
craigie77
I know what you mean erstlaub.. the albums got a bit thin after insides

i think the last one they released was designed to fill in the gaps they felt they had in the live set.... from my experience of them in glasgow last time i can say it worked .... man what a gig.. epic

Orbital plus a bit of 3d digital mapping light show is a heady mix...

ill defo be there again if i can help it
craigie77
I know what you mean erstlaub.. the albums got a bit thin after insides

i think the last one the released was designed to fill in the gaps they felt they had in the live set.... from my experience of them in glasgow last time i can say ot worked .... man what a gig.. epic

ill defo be there again if i can help it
zedius
I love nearly everything they've done, including Wonky. I was late to the party though - bought The Altogether in 2010 and got sucked in from there.

I'm pumped they're getting back together again! I probably won't be able to see them live, but I really hope they release a new album smile
richardhamilton
I only saw half their set at Glastonbury 95, so I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing at the Blue Dot Festival this summer. I hope they're as good as I remember when I was 15!
therk
Went to their first 'last ever' gig at brixton academy years ago (2004 ish?) - that was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. There's a recording of an hour+ long session on John Peel around the same time that's worth hunting out.

Also don't think much of their last few albums. Have never failed to impress live tho!
minime123
great news! smile
zedius

hyper hyper I needed this shakuhachi in my life!
leeski
I saw them play the Royal Albert hall and some of that stuff Flood did with them sounded heavy.

leeski
zedius wrote:

hyper hyper I needed this shakuhachi in my life!

golden that is

dogoftears
they created 3 of the great masterpieces of electronic dance music (2, sniv, insides), then became a pointless and stagnant imitation of themselves. but man, those 3 albums are too good, esp. insides, and i listen to them all repeatedly to this day.

the single above sounds like the background to a cheesy montage in a romantic comedy shlock film... imo. makes me want frozen yogurt or a soda or something.

that said, if they tour the US, i'm gonna go. still haven't seen them, they had/have a huge influence on me, and the live videos look pretty awesome.
dogoftears
leeski wrote:

golden that is

wow! didn't know about this. i like that a lot better than the 2017 version...
matthewjuran
New album "Monsters Exist" on YouTube today: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhk4bP7XybANvmkgkNw1kO8dt4njHQr Hf

I liked their "Copenhagen" video recently:
groove
dogoftears wrote:
they created 3 of the great masterpieces of electronic dance music (2, sniv, insides), then became a pointless and stagnant imitation of themselves. but man, those 3 albums are too good, esp. insides, and i listen to them all repeatedly to this day.

the single above sounds like the background to a cheesy montage in a romantic comedy shlock film... imo. makes me want frozen yogurt or a soda or something.

that said, if they tour the US, i'm gonna go. still haven't seen them, they had/have a huge influence on me, and the live videos look pretty awesome.

**this**

Incidentally, they're touring, and I'm going. smile
zedius
I feel lucky to have gotten into them late so that they're not whitewashing some long-held nostalgia in me. I think all their material is fantastic.

leeski wrote:
golden that is

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had no idea!

So... do some of you really dislike this? Or just find it boring? Personally I love it.

groove
zedius wrote:

So... do some of you really dislike this? Or just find it boring? Personally I love it.

I like the new album better than their last few. To me, their album In Sides is one of my favorite electronic music albums of all time. The sounds were so warm and lush and the the songs all really went on a journey. It was a masterpiece, and less repetitive and loopy than a lot of their other work.

Some of the tracks on Monsters Exist seem to have a similar spark, and I like it overall.
matthewjuran
This video was on my recommended feed today:

It’s a show of their synthesizers in 2018.
anomie
matthewjuran wrote:
This video was on my recommended feed today:

It’s a show of their synthesizers in 2018.

Ha - just watched this too! I love the fact that, Putney aside, it's pretty much all modern synths they're using. It's a welcome break from salivating over collections like Ulrich Schnauss's

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1