MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oh no, I've bought a guitar.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Oh no, I've bought a guitar.
mousegarden

Love it, cheap, small, and perfect for a non-guitar playing noise maker.
Looking forward to much pedal experimentation.
LoFi Junglist
Why not a MIDI guitar?
mousegarden
LoFi Junglist wrote:
Why not a MIDI guitar?

Ha Ha! Well, I've obviously got to get a guitar synth! That subject came up in the pub last night ten minutes after I'd bought the guitar.
But what one? I suppose I could always get a Midi pick-up?
eewee
It's a beauty, and I'd use it purely as a noise source :-)

If you're considering a Roland bolt-on/glue-on hex pickup, be careful about the combination with the whammy: that could influence string height, and hence pickup performance.
cretaceousear
That should drive away the poltergeist - it's a cracker!
sduck
Forget those hex pickup things. Just get a Boss SY-300.
mousegarden
sduck wrote:

????

Must investigate...you must realise I'm a total noob regards guitars.
beyourdog
Problem with guitar and other instruments, contrary to a synthesizer, is you need to learn how to play them ...
..Confucius
mousegarden
beyourdog wrote:
Problem with guitar and other instruments, contrary to a synthesizer, is you need to learn how to play them ...
..Confucius

That's what drew me to it, I haven't a clue.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I tried a Boss SY-300 in a shop today, and was not terribly impressed. None of the sounds were particularly "synthy" and there were a lot of useless sound selections.
MindMachine
Hey mousie - so much for the mininmoog?

beyourdog wrote:
..Confucius

That's what I got an Ebow for. And a lot of pedals. When I got my guitar I was happy I could just tune it.

Don't worry mousegarden - you'll sound like Randy Rhodes in no time.
sduck
mousegarden wrote:
sduck wrote:

????

Must investigate...you must realise I'm a total noob regards guitars.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143247&
commodorejohn
mousegarden wrote:
beyourdog wrote:
..Confucius

That's what drew me to it, I haven't a clue.

Ditto that...picked one up at a swap meet a few months back, and while I'm having fun making noise with it, I'm still getting started on that whole "being able to play" thing... hihi
mousegarden
MindMachine wrote:
Hey mousie - so much for the mininmoog?

beyourdog wrote:
..Confucius

That's what I got an Ebow for. And a lot of pedals. When I got my guitar I was happy I could just tune it.

Minimoog? Don't worry, I'll get something, but like a lot of this old gear, I owned it once, and now, having to buy it back again for top dollar hurts just a touch. To think I actually had a Minimoog, an ARP2600, and a VCS3, you're looking at £25,000 just in those three.

Yeah, guitar, I suppose I'll have to practice my chops, and learn a few licks... hihi
PrimateSynthesis
MindMachine wrote:

Everyone sounds like Randy Rhodes, eventually Tombstone
mousegarden
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Everyone sounds like Randy Rhodes, eventually Tombstone

Who's Randy Rhodes hmmm.....
mach20
It seems like a great guitar to have for getting in a fight.
mousegarden
mach20 wrote:
It seems like a great guitar to have for getting in a fight.

The way I play, that could be very relevant hihi
mousegarden
I've decided on the lime green model, don't know why, just seems friendlier, more cute.

PS, I was told the black one came in gloss, it doesn't, only satin, that was a deal breaker for me....lime green it is.
tuj
mousegarden wrote:
I suppose I could always get a Midi pick-up?

I've played everything from the GR300 (the best tracking and no MIDI) to the later Roland systems with the GK2A pickup. All of the systems require precise playing and setup to get good tracking without glitching. Sometimes the glitching is fun, but if you are trying to actually pick out a melody they can be really annoying. I wouldn't fuss with a MIDI guitar too much, especially if you are just learning to play.
sduck
mousegarden wrote:
I've decided on the lime green model.

Green guitars are best. All of my guitars are green (not kidding).
mousegarden
sduck wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
I've decided on the lime green model.

Green guitars are best. All of my guitars are green (not kidding).

Great, I rang the shop today and changed the order, a lime green one is on the way, along with an Instant Low Fi Junky.
m0d
tuj wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

I've played everything from the GR300 (the best tracking and no MIDI) to the later Roland systems with the GK2A pickup. All of the systems require precise playing and setup to get good tracking without glitching. Sometimes the glitching is fun, but if you are trying to actually pick out a melody they can be really annoying. I wouldn't fuss with a MIDI guitar too much, especially if you are just learning to play.

I agree. I had several guitar synths. The only one I still have is the GR300 and it took me over 20 years to turn it on again recently. It's cool, but not as cool as a plain guitar or a plain synth. If you want to get the ARP Avatar Experience, buy a Karp Odyssey and patch up some random glitchy/burpy/farty self-oscillation s&h noises. Anything really. It doesn't matter. You'll get the ARP guitar synth experience, even if you don't have a guitar and don't do anything at all but sit and watch it while you ponder if the Avatar really is the model that bankrupted ARP - because you can kinda see why.

Any Roland guitar synth that uses anything newer than a GK-1 will sound like... well, post-good Roland (e.g. pan flutes) but with the added bonuses of mediocre tracking and unbearable pitch detection lag. You do get used to compensating for the lag by playing every note a 16th note earlier than the actual rhythm, hoping it actually makes the sound at the right time, so it isn't all that bad.
mousegarden
m0d wrote:
tuj wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

I agree. I had several guitar synths. The only one I still have is the GR300 and it took me over 20 years to turn it on again recently. It's cool, but not as cool as a plain guitar or a plain synth. If you want to get the ARP Avatar Experience, buy a Karp Odyssey and patch up some random glitchy/burpy/farty self-oscillation s&h noises. Anything really. It doesn't matter. You'll get the ARP guitar synth experience, even if you don't have a guitar and don't do anything at all but sit and watch it while you ponder if the Avatar really is the model that bankrupted ARP - because you can kinda see why.

Any Roland guitar synth that uses anything newer than a GK-1 will sound like... well, post-good Roland (e.g. pan flutes) but with the added bonuses of mediocre tracking and unbearable pitch detection lag. You do get used to compensating for the lag by playing every note a 16th note earlier than the actual rhythm, hoping it actually makes the sound at the right time, so it isn't all that bad.

Guitar synths I think on the whole have been a massive failure, I think maybe because the guitar community are happy with what they've got, and also, a bit conservative when it comes to messing with the traditional sound of the guitar, don't take this the wrong way, but "don't mess with my tone man" hihi
I also think that the current wave of strange sound mangling pedals are more likely to be bought by synth players rather than guitarists!
But when I think of guitar synths, Robert Fripp and Pat Metheny always spring to mind, can't really think of anyone else who took them onboard like they did.
tIB
One of my things I must do at some point is pipe a midi guitar into my monomachine and xpander- no doubt Ill be disappointed by my crappy playing and inability to make the midi guitar do what I want (separate MIDI channels for each string- is this possible?!), but there might be some fun somewhere along the line.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6