MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thinking about getting Mother 32
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Thinking about getting Mother 32
JenniferG
I have a TR-09, Volca Sample & Volca Kick right now. Planning on getting a TB-03 but maybe instead get a Moog Mother 32 next instead?

I have an XOX heart pcb, which I haven't used yet. I suppose I could use this with the Mother 32? Would the Mother 32 drive the xox heart well enough? I still need to purchase the $15 pacemaker board -- I'll make a faceplate in CAD and print on 3D printer.

I really like the sound of hte Mother 32 and like the fact that is has a built in sequencer.

Are there any drawbacks to using a Mother 32 as a starting point into modular synths? Can every component of the Mother 32 be used individually to augment an expanded system?

Someone suggested it might be wise to start with a SV-1 system first instead, but it doesn't have a sequencer, and well the Mother 32 sequencer is pretty advanced I hear. I like the fact that the sequencer has accents and glids and what not (like the 303 does -- realizing it won't sound the same, but still).

Sorry for my confusion.

Any help would be appreciated. Been reading these forums all day by the way, to where my head is about to explode with info overload! smile
MrTurboparrot
If you are on a budget, then the M32 is a very good place to start, in my opinion. The built-in sequencer is a real bonus. If you REALLY want it to shine, you might consider adding a function generator - like MATHS or Befaco Rampage. This expands possibilities hugely.

A real alternative is a microbrute, and maths in a mini doepfer case. The microbrute is cable of fantastic sounds - it's a future classic.
cyclopeatron
You can't go wrong with the M32. Especially for a used one (~$450) it's one of the best deals you can get in modular synthesis.

I personally got a MicroBrute first, but I sold it quickly after I got the M32. M32 is way more powerful and sounds better in my opinion. In every way.

The only downside of the M32 is that it might get you interested in eurorack. It's like the first deep hit of rock cocaine.
yertle
I just got a M32 and already have a Microbrute. The Moog CV is -5v to +5v and the Microbrute CV is 0v to +10v. Are there any issues patching CV from one to the other? Thanks for any advice.
JenniferG
Another option I was considering, to save some money:

Arturia Keystep along with a software modular synth such as:
1) Model 15
2) iVCS3
or perhaps even: ARP Oddysei, iMini or OSEM.

What do you think of going the software route? How does the iPad sound compared to the real deal?

Drawback seems to be the live performance tweakability.. seems easier to have all the knobs there in front of you rather than scrolling through a graphical interface.
QwertyGuy
Rockin' Banana!
yegDavid
I'm really considering getting a Mother 32 as a starting point into modular. They're real easy to get locally, plus, they sure sound cool in the videos.

Not to hijack, but I know there's a couple semi modular products that would integrate well with eurorack, are there any semi modulars that would integrate with 5U/MU? Just curious, as I'm not 100% sure I want to go eurorack. Everything I find seems to be eurorack-centric.

Thanks.
sauce_aux
The mother 32 sounded great! I just wish it has more than one oscillator. It was just different from what I was looking for, for my rig. I didn't feel like the sequencer was all that impressive, but a nice touch, no doubt. I have an MS-20 and already have to deal with different voltage standards, so I didn't feel like it would be wise to get, yet another synth that runs on different voltages, to pair with more modular/eurorack gear. Nonetheless, the filter sounds great on the mother 32, I feel like its a different animal entirely, than the SV-1.
JenniferG
What if I started wit the Mother 32 and then added the Lifeforms SV-1? Could I use the sequencer of the MOther 32 to drive the LIfeforms? Would the two semi modulars work well together?

If I got the Lifeforms SV-1, I'm not sure what I'd use to sequence it.
MoogCloud
JenniferG wrote:
Another option I was considering, to save some money:

Arturia Keystep along with a software modular synth such as:
1) Model 15
2) iVCS3
or perhaps even: ARP Oddysei, iMini or OSEM.

What do you think of going the software route? How does the iPad sound compared to the real deal?

Drawback seems to be the live performance tweakability.. seems easier to have all the knobs there in front of you rather than scrolling through a graphical interface.

I love the Model 15. I connect my iPad via Bluetooth to an Aiwa 100 watt speaker and it will blow you out of the room. love I'm not your source on live performance. Good luck!
Moog This is fun!
cyclopeatron
JenniferG wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. Software is the cheapest and easiest option, so why not just try that first to see if it satisfies you?

A lot of top artists make music completely on a laptop and it sounds great, so sound quality is not really the big issue IMO. It's more about what you find to be the most fun and satisfying music making experience.

I work on a computer all day, so getting away from a screen to twist knobs and fiddle with patch cables is part of the fun for me...
cyclopeatron
JenniferG wrote:
What if I started wit the Mother 32 and then added the Lifeforms SV-1? Could I use the sequencer of the MOther 32 to drive the LIfeforms? Would the two semi modulars work well together?

If I got the Lifeforms SV-1, I'm not sure what I'd use to sequence it.

Yes - the M32 has a pretty powerful sequencer you can use to drive the Lifeforms. They would work great together.
Tumulishroomaroom
The sequencer is really powerful once you start digging and spend some time with the Mother 32 alone. I never understood the criticism. I would say go with a M32 first and you'll have a very complete package plus the choice to later add either a semi modular or some modules in a skiff.
JenniferG
Looking at the Moog Mother 32 Step Sequencer tutorial vids on youtube.. oh my the goodness: glides, accents & ratchets.
JenniferG
Just bought one from Amazon for $599. I get 5% off with credit card (which I immediately pay off anyways), so got it for like $569.

Cheapest I see them go for used on ebay is like $499 plus like $20 shipping.. so not much less than a brand new one.

At least I can return this one easily if needed. Plus I'll have it in two days -- free shipping.

Can't wait to try it out. Was going to get a tb-03 but figured this can do much more for not much more money.
bwhittington
yegDavid wrote:
Not to hijack, but I know there's a couple semi modular products that would integrate well with eurorack, are there any semi modulars that would integrate with 5U/MU? Just curious, as I'm not 100% sure I want to go eurorack. Everything I find seems to be eurorack-centric.

Analogue Solutions Red Square is a gem of a semi modular with 1/4" jacks if you can find one on eBay. I'm sure there are others--Macbeth M5, though it isn't a value option--but most of them might be a few years old. Most stuff that comes out now uses 3.5mm jacks. But every one of them is usable with any modular format with the use of a few adapter cables.
thevegasnerve
JenniferG wrote:
Just bought one from Amazon for $599. I get 5% off with credit card (which I immediately pay off anyways), so got it for like $569.

Cheapest I see them go for used on ebay is like $499 plus like $20 shipping.. so not much less than a brand new one.

At least I can return this one easily if needed. Plus I'll have it in two days -- free shipping.

Can't wait to try it out. Was going to get a tb-03 but figured this can do much more for not much more money.

congrats on getting the Mother32, its really a great sounding synth by most peoples standards. Got mine (actually two) recently and I find plenty of new sounds/ideas with them.
JenniferG
thevegasnerve wrote:
JenniferG wrote:

congrats on getting the Mother32, its really a great sounding synth by most peoples standards. Got mine (actually two) recently and I find plenty of new sounds/ideas with them.

Awesome! Have some photos ? smile
thevegasnerve
Here they are with some other fun pieces! It's peanut butter jelly time!

JenniferG
Nice smile Are going to go with a triple stack eventually with custom modules? smile I like the size of the 60hp.. makes it easier to move around I bet.
JenniferG
thevegasnerve wrote:
Here they are with some other fun pieces! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Do you find yourself using the second sequencer? What all do you use on the second unit? Primarily the additional oscillator? How about the other components on the second on besides the sequencer and vco?
thevegasnerve
right now, I don't use the sequencers that much, just really a function of what I need for them at the moment as I run sequences thru my Murf. But yes, I got it for the second oscillator and the ability to create more complex sounds from each. Sometimes I drone one Mother and play the other as a lead instrument. I just really like the oscillators and filter on the Mothers, definitely a more raw sounding Moog with beautiful tone/harmonics. I bought the second within a couple weeks of getting the first. But I think the ability to sequence both is incredible and I have heard some great demos in that regard. That's for later as I want to explore my specific plan for now. Must focus..... zombie
JenniferG
Would 0-coast be a good first upgrade to the Mother 32?

It would give me the extra lacking VCO and a bunch of other stuff to make some really interesting sounds no?

I was listening to a wobble bass demo patch on the 0-coast.. and really liked it.

Would the MATHS be a better first upgrade to the Mother 32 or the 0-coast?
scottmoon
0 Coast is a fun little beast but it's a stand alone unit, if that bothers you.
JenniferG
scottmoon wrote:
0 Coast is a fun little beast but it's a stand alone unit, if that bothers you.

Can it be added to a rack by taking out it out it's stock case?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3