MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EHX Canyon?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author EHX Canyon?
mousegarden
I've been impressed by the demo's of this pedal, seems very versatile, and sounds amazing, anyone tried it?

z3r01
Saw this as well, and it does seem pretty interesting for that price ($139, if I did not remember incorrectly).

It is not out yet though (slated for a March release), so I doubt anyone has one (unless you are a beta tester).
mousegarden
z3r01 wrote:
Saw this as well, and it does seem pretty interesting for that price ($139, if I did not remember incorrectly).

It is not out yet though (slated for a March release), so I doubt anyone has one (unless you are a beta tester).

Yes, I just rang my local shop, deffo not in yet, but deffo on the shopping list, it really does sound great, and a looper too! thumbs up
oootini
gee that does look cool.
piearesquared
Saw the demo during the weekend and really liked it. I have never been a huge fan of EHX's delays (owned a Memory Boy and Memory Toy and sold both) but some of the modes on this sound really really good, and when you factor in the price, it's quite a bargain. Will have to wait for Andy's demo of this though
smetak
Hum.....Although I'm a big fan of EHX, not too hot for their delays/reverbs - the Cathedral really didn't cut it for me - still have it, but the timbre doesn't make the grade. On delays and reverbs, I bet my chips on Earthquaker, which always comes up with something "atmospherically" brilliant.
mousegarden
smetak wrote:
Hum.....Although I'm a big fan of EHX, not too hot for their delays/reverbs - the Cathedral really didn't cut it for me - still have it, but the timbre doesn't make the grade. On delays and reverbs, I bet my chips on Earthquaker, which always comes up with something "atmospherically" brilliant.

Have you tried the Empress stuff? But this Canyon thing seems alright, for the money.
smetak
mousegarden wrote:
smetak wrote:

Have you tried the Empress stuff? But this Canyon thing seems alright, for the money.

Yep - big fan of the Canadian boxes of wonder - I have a superdelay (not in use right now) and have their buffer+, constantly on (was having serious volume problems, annoying swells that were driving me off the wall; thankfully, the buffer+ eliminated the drops and evened out my signal). Really do enjoy the superdelay, but due to its rather bulky size, was forced to replace it.

Actually, I do enjoy a good deal of the many delays/reverbs I have (Empress, Catalinbread, Eventide, Red Panda, etc - and after discovering the tone editor, TC's Flashback really came alive for me), yet, still, Earthquaker seems to push the bounderies here - I have the first version of their Transport Disaster - and I can say, man, those lush trails are yet to be found anywhere else! Simply incredible! I have a permanent place on my board for the Afterneath and Avalanche Run - really up there! I find the sound unique, really shinning.

The Cathedral on the other hand.....merely tepid. A bit too much of metallic klang that didn't cut it for me. Maybe the Caryon is EHX's redemption in regard to delays - but hard to know via youtube demos. Having the chance, I'll pick one up and give it a go.
Muzone
smetak wrote:
Earthquaker seems to push the bounderies.......

Bought an EQD Transmisser at the weeked, yet another amazing pedal - they just seem to have the knack of twisting FX way beyond what you would expect grin
MindMachine
Muzone wrote:
smetak wrote:
Earthquaker seems to push the bounderies.......

Bought an EQD Transmisser at the weeked, yet another amazing pedal - they just seem to have the knack of twisting FX way beyond what you would expect grin

I was checking this EQD out, but I just got a OBNE Dark Star, which is somewhat similar.

The Canyon seems to do a hell of a lot. Impressive.

SO many, many pedals and I don't even play guitar. Thank you science.
thetwlo
MindMachine wrote:

Many pedals even have stereo ins. I don't think most are made for guitarists these days.
thetwlo
piearesquared wrote:
Saw the demo during the weekend and really liked it. I have never been a huge fan of EHX's delays (owned a Memory Boy and Memory Toy and sold both)

but those are their new shitty ones. You don't like the original Memory Man?
mousegarden
This whole delay thing is crazy, what I want to know is this, if we have such amazing technology and resources available to us now, why can't we make things that at least sound as good, or even better, than the original units? That applies to anything, synths, whatever, but we can't, why!?
Why do we still have to look for old expensive stuff that was made at a time when things were more primitive than they are now, it makes no sense whatsoever to me, none at all.
MindMachine
thetwlo wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Many pedals even have stereo ins. I don't think most are made for guitarists these days.

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm at Keyboard Center. Mr. Green

I know what you mean though.
piearesquared
thetwlo wrote:
piearesquared wrote:
Saw the demo during the weekend and really liked it. I have never been a huge fan of EHX's delays (owned a Memory Boy and Memory Toy and sold both)

Haven't tried it, is it very different from their newer ones?
gentle_attack
piearesquared wrote:
thetwlo wrote:
piearesquared wrote:

Haven't tried it, is it very different from their newer ones?

Assuming you're being serious... C'mon Bro of course! They're way better. Listen to any of countless demos comparing say the Deluxe Memory Man with Tap Tempo vs the Deluxe Memory Boy with Tap Tempo.

The whole appeal of the BBD chips is the degradaton of the repeats the more times they run through the circuit, due to the old ass Panasonic chips. They are extremely scarce now (I believe they were a product of the 70's). Any new BBD chip will not degrade like that, as they simply "don't make them like they used to" and in this case, they are actually TOO hi-fi to sound like the old MN3005 chips. Some pedals add filters to mimic the degradation, but it's hardly the same sound.

There's a reason people pay big bucks for the MN3005 and MN 3008 Deleuxe Memory Man, and why the Deluxe Memory Man with Tap Tempo (original panasonic chips allowing 1.1ms of delay time) is considered the holy grail and sells for $700 and up. They also have an awesome feature set.

The green DMMwTT 550ms and the new blue DMMwTT that says 1100-TT (but is not vintage BBD chips, they are new XVIVE chips) are also nice, but in the end put no dent in the demand for the first DMMwTT.
gentle_attack
mousegarden wrote:
This whole delay thing is crazy, what I want to know is this, if we have such amazing technology and resources available to us now, why can't we make things that at least sound as good, or even better, than the original units? That applies to anything, synths, whatever, but we can't, why!?
Why do we still have to look for old expensive stuff that was made at a time when things were more primitive than they are now, it makes no sense whatsoever to me, none at all.

Because they used to mass produce these delay chips for Televisions and they weren't really THAT great at perfectly replicating the sound multiple times through the circuit, first echo say 90% accurate, second echo 80%, and on and on. With infinite feedback setting, it just melts into kind of rhythmic noise barely perceptible as what came in.

They don't make chips like that anymore, and it would not be practical to try (although apparently there are XVIVE mn3005s in some of the new DMMwTT I don't know all about that as I have an OG one with the x4 of the panasonics). Any "current" BBD chip doesn't degrade in the repeats, that wasn't really a 'good' feature for anyone besides guitarists (like a TV you wouldn't want that feature).

As for why can't we outsmart it today, there's TONS of awesome modelers like the Strymon, Eventide, hell I think the Boss DD-7's analog mode is WAY more than serviceable. You'll also notice while the "corksniffers" on the gear page and the like still love [really expensive analog pedals] [actual tape delays] and the like... most actual touring and producing musicians get by just fine with Boss RE-20 space echo in lieu of a RE-201... or an El Capistan...or even delays in Ableton or Pro Tools. Some of these devices are REALLY cool and on their own are fun to feature, but in reality in a band that is entirely lost in the mix and the consistency of a Boss Digital Delay is indeed what most people on stage use.
mousegarden
gentle_attack wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Because they used to mass produce these delay chips for Televisions and they weren't really THAT great at perfectly replicating the sound multiple times through the circuit, first echo say 90% accurate, second echo 80%, and on and on. With infinite feedback setting, it just melts into kind of rhythmic noise barely perceptible as what came in.

They don't make chips like that anymore, and it would not be practical to try (although apparently there are XVIVE mn3005s in some of the new DMMwTT I don't know all about that as I have an OG one with the x4 of the panasonics). Any "current" BBD chip doesn't degrade in the repeats, that wasn't really a 'good' feature for anyone besides guitarists (like a TV you wouldn't want that feature).

As for why can't we outsmart it today, there's TONS of awesome modelers like the Strymon, Eventide, hell I think the Boss DD-7's analog mode is WAY more than serviceable. You'll also notice while the "corksniffers" on the gear page and the like still love [really expensive analog pedals] [actual tape delays] and the like... most actual touring and producing musicians get by just fine with Boss RE-20 space echo in lieu of a RE-201... or an El Capistan...or even delays in Ableton or Pro Tools. Some of these devices are REALLY cool and on their own are fun to feature, but in reality in a band that is entirely lost in the mix and the consistency of a Boss Digital Delay is indeed what most people on stage use.

Thanks for that, useful info.
I've tried the Strymon, and it didn't have that nice thick sound you get on the repeats, on the older models. It's like a chorusing as it fades away. I sold it it just wasn't good.
I'm scared to try anymore, in case they turn out to be the same.
Jason Brock
They are out now, anyone have one? I don't need another delay, but damn, this little pedal seems to have a lot of other nice features in a small $139 package, I'm very tempted. Reverse, multi-tap, sample&hold, shimmer, octave - it's almost like a trimmed down "greatest hits" version of an H9.
mousegarden
Jason Brock wrote:
They are out now, anyone have one? I don't need another delay, but damn, this little pedal seems to have a lot of other nice features in a small $139 package, I'm very tempted. Reverse, multi-tap, sample&hold, shimmer, octave - it's almost like a trimmed down "greatest hits" version of an H9.

I'll check it out ASAP......
mousegarden
Jason Brock wrote:

I'll ring around this morning and try and get one...

thumbs up
BillyCardigan
Very sick and awesome pedal. Reviewed here for your pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8moUrlxxoI
mousegarden
No dealer has got one here in London....

Dead Banana
smetak
I was after a new delay and thought about the Canyon, but eventually got this at a very reasonable price:

The lo fi and tape modes really caught me by the neck!

Tweaking this thing non stop - getting some incredible sounds from it - impressive what Digitech has been doing lately.
thevegasnerve
smetak wrote:
I was after a new delay and thought about the Canyon, but eventually got this at a very reasonable price:

The lo fi and tape modes really caught me by the neck!

Tweaking this thing non stop - getting some incredible sounds from it - impressive what Digitech has been doing lately.

I like the sound of the Digitech way more than the Canyon, which sounds
really glassy in a bad way.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2