MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New semi-modular synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author New semi-modular synthesizer
neuroportal
I got the email. smile

Thank you for sorting this so quickly! I look forward to getting it....
Kernelkunt
Would like to hear a few more demos of this little synth. Sounds interesting so far
ocs
Kernelkunt wrote:
Would like to hear a few more demos of this little synth. Sounds interesting so far

all official videos are there:
https://vimeo.com/nozoid

On the website, there is a dozen of sound examples :
http://nozoid.com/ocs-2/

there is also videos on instagram :
https://www.instagram.com/nozoid_synth/
but the recording is not always good.
neuroportal
This is an incredible little synth...
neuroportal
Just a quick recording - sorry about the clipping at some points. I was in a hurry. Completely self modulated and any effect is just the OSC3

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/312717004" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
neuroportal
Ok - my thoughts.

This thing is fun. This is important to me, because if it isn't fun, I won't experiment as much. This loves experimentation. The sound quality seems, so far, excellent. The interface layout shows a lot of forethought.

The intermodulation possibilities are almost modular like. The menu, initially, had me non-plussed, but I quickly worked out how it worked which shows the very logical approach. I would even say elegant.

Very quickly you can dial in complicated textures and the ease of routing modulaion options means you try everything just to see what happens.

If you aren't into modular, get one.
If you are into modular, get one.
If you are thinking of maybe going into modular - this is a great choice. Get one.
If you don't have one, get one.

Very well done.

If I could make changes - the pots are not really damped - or at least very lightly. This makes it very hard for fine adjustments. TBH - I like the oak enclosure, but I feel that a full enclosure with damped pots would be a complete sensory nirvana. BUt then I guess, at increased cost.

Oh - a simple 8/16 step, transposable sequencer setup would be awesome - judging by the software nature of the beast, something that may be possible in the future?
oldgearguy
Question - is there any way to determine the current modulation routings?

I've been looking at the videos and I see how they are assigned and amounts adjusted, but I haven't seen any way to determine what's currently routed where.

thanks
neuroportal
Yep - you hold the button down of the source, and an indicator lights on the function that it is modulated by.
oldgearguy
neuroportal wrote:
Yep - you hold the button down of the source, and an indicator lights on the function that it is modulated by.

Cool - thanks for that. It definitely looks like a fun machine.
Kernelkunt
neuroportal wrote:
Ok - my thoughts.

This thing is fun. This is important to me, because if it isn't fun, I won't experiment as much. This loves experimentation. The sound quality seems, so far, excellent. The interface layout shows a lot of forethought.

The intermodulation possibilities are almost modular like. The menu, initially, had me non-plussed, but I quickly worked out how it worked which shows the very logical approach. I would even say elegant.

Very quickly you can dial in complicated textures and the ease of routing modulaion options means you try everything just to see what happens.

If you are thinking of maybe going into modular - this is a great choice. Get one.

Very well done.

If I could make changes - the pots are not really damped - or at least very lightly. This makes it very hard for fine adjustments. TBH - I like the oak enclosure, but I feel that a full enclosure with damped pots would be a complete sensory nirvana. BUt then I guess, at increased cost.

Oh - a simple 8/16 step, transposable sequencer setup would be awesome - judging by the software nature of the beast, something that may be possible in the future?

Thanks for the write up. Liked the demo you posted too
Kernelkunt
A question for those of you who got your hands on of these;
From the documentation it seems LFO3 and the CV generator can be used to generate patterns/sequences. Can these somehow be clocked/synced using MIDI or CV?
ocs
neuroportal wrote:
Ok - my thoughts.

Very well done.

Thanks for your enthusiasm and for posting your opinion and the demo.

About the pots : Prince of faders can vary a lot's and it's a big cost on a machine with 30 of them.
The best sensation I had was with very cheap pots from china. But I choosed to use more expensive pots from a known manufacturer hoping they will last longer. I guess we will see in 10 years if I made the right choice.

For the sequencer, it's possible to add one in the software. but it will break the "1 fader -> 1 function" philosophy.
I did not manage to find a good way to include a sequencer, but if someone came up with satisfying idea, I can program it and offer a software update.
ocs
Kernelkunt wrote:
A question for those of you who got your hands on of these;
From the documentation it seems LFO3 and the CV generator can be used to generate patterns/sequences. Can these somehow be clocked/synced using MIDI or CV?

LFO and CV Gen are not sync with midi clock. But you are the 3rd asking for this, so it's the next update on my todo list.
Anyway, if you are using midi, it's easy to generate a CC sequence / loop, and use it as modulation instead of the analogue CV.
neuroportal
"Thanks for your enthusiasm and for posting your opinion and the demo.

Thank you for creating this lovely synth!

"About the pots : Prince of faders can vary a lot's and it's a big cost on a machine with 30 of them.
The best sensation I had was with very cheap pots from china. But I choosed to use more expensive pots from a known manufacturer hoping they will last longer. I guess we will see in 10 years if I made the right choice."

I noticed you had chosen ALPS. I wasn't stating the quality was there, more a case of the damping from the point of view of, say fine tuning.

"For the sequencer, it's possible to add one in the software. but it will break the "1 fader -> 1 function" philosophy.
I did not manage to find a good way to include a sequencer, but if someone came up with satisfying idea, I can program it and offer a software update."

This was on a 'in a perfect world' scenario. The User Interface/Experience is remarkable. I appreciate that adding the ability to program in a sequence would be doable but at the cost of subverting the current UX, and also would never meet the capabilities of a simple outboard sequencer. So in reality - if you were going to make updates, the ability to to sync lfo and cv gen would make far more sense.

I hope I didn't detract from the fact that this is an amazing product and it deserves to do very well indeed.
Kernelkunt
ocs wrote:

LFO and CV Gen are not sync with midi clock. But you are the 3rd asking for this, so it's the next update on my todo list.

Very cool!
tron23
Kernelkunt wrote:
ocs wrote:

Very cool!

Another vote for this feature (speaking on behalf of a close friend who got the OSC2). Guinness ftw!
ocs
tron23 wrote:
Kernelkunt wrote:
ocs wrote:

Very cool!

Another vote for this feature (speaking on behalf of a close friend who got the OSC2). Guinness ftw!

Ok!
Due to popular demand,I implemented a LFO MIDI syncro.
I'm not very experienced with MIDI synchro so tell me what you think.

Since there is no switch to enable / disable the synchro, I choose to sync only 1 LFO.
The LFO3 is more dedicated on rhythmic generation, so it's logic that it's the only one to be synchronized.

As soon as MIDI syncro signal (F8) is received : the LFO3 synchronize on this signal. Few seconds after you stop sending the syncro, or unplug the cable, the LF03 frequency goes back to a non synchro mode.

During the synchro mode, the LFO FQ fader change the frequency to 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4 or 8 times the frequency of a MIDI note.
i.e, at 120 bpm, a MIDI note is 500ms, so the LFO frequency can vary from 8s to 16Hz.

I need to test this code a bit more, Then I'll try to find any easy way to update users OCS-2. But all new OCS-2 that I'll ship will be updated.
naegleria
Hey! How many preset slots does this have?
ocs
naegleria wrote:
Hey! How many preset slots does this have?

ocs
ocs wrote:
I need to test this code a bit more

I order a SQ-1, so that i can test the syncro.
Unborn Gore
ocs wrote:

Looks like your SQ-1 tests have been fruitful.

https://vimeo.com/214202355
Unborn Gore
Question:

On your news feed you mention that the MMO-4 evolved to become the MMO-3. Are you still going to release both?
scottmoon
Looks like a lot of fun in a small package. Curious if those are knob caps on the pot shafts and where you got them? The pots seem similar to some of the Folktek euro modules.
ocs
Unborn Gore wrote:
ocs wrote:

Looks like your SQ-1 tests have been fruitful.

https://vimeo.com/214202355

yes, everything works!
All OCS-2 will now be shipped with the updated code.
sorry I did not had time to post here earlier.

After the release of the MMO-3 (I hope in 2 weeks), I will work on an easy way for a user to update the code.
Currently, you need to install the arduino development environment in order to update the code.
ocs
Unborn Gore wrote:
Question:

On your news feed you mention that the MMO-4 evolved to become the MMO-3. Are you still going to release both?

The MMO-3 have a wider sound range then the MMO-4, so I started a production batch of the MMO-3 only. If someone wants a MMO-4, I think I can build few of them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4