MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quad Plague Bearer Final run build process. (Lots of images)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Quad Plague Bearer Final run build process. (Lots of images)
flight
As titled, this is to show what is involved in building a Quad Plague Bearer.

First, the housing. I use the Protex PL-CMD1 command module of the old ProLink “Hard Goods Security System”. They were replaced with a newer version years ago, but you can see them pop up on ebay from time to time - usually for $40-$100 each, which is why this was the final run of the classic QPB. The ProLink system was used in places like Guitar Center and Best Buy for theft deterrent. The PL-CMD1 was the brain, which connected to a PL-SAT satellite unit, which then had phone cords that went to adhesive disks that were stuck on display merchandise. Break the connection and everybody within two blocks knew about it. These little bitches were LOUD.

(source: ebay)

Unfortunately, I disassembled my stock of these and tossed the unnecessary bits about four years ago, so I can’t show you what guts looked like and I had to grab the above image from ebay. The rest of the pictures are mine, however.

All of the circuitry is contained in the top half. The device was powered by four D-cell batteries, located in the bottom half. The power wires passed through the small hole between the two compartments.

Here’s the main housing after disassembly:

The side panels, custom back panel, top piece, and screws:

A moment about the screws: I had never encountered these before.

Cleverly-designed little buggers, ain’t they? Hardened and tapered; your pliers won’t bite in and will slip right off. At first, I cut a slot in them with rotary tool cutoff disc and used a flat-cbladed screwdriver. Eventually, I finally found that they are called TGroove, Tri-Groove or Tampruf, depending on who made them, and picked up a socket for them. I liked their look and decided to just reuse them in the final product.

These particular screws are self-tapping, thread-cutting screws - and rather aggressively so - which means that material gets removed every time you remove or reinstall the screw. This leads to the threads in the housing stripping out at least once per unit when trying to tighten the screws. To avoid having to repeatedly disassemble the damn things to repair the threads, I would repair them at this stage by deforming (crushing) the enclosure from the inside and tapping the hole with a #4-40 tap.

Okiedokie,so, first step is to protect the housing. They are second-hand to begin with and usually have a few scratches and dings so it’s best not to add any more. Hooray for blue painter’s tape!

Tape it up then trim the edges.

End result:

Oh, right, I forgot. Up above in the before-taping shots, you see there’s two holes on the back of the housing. These have threaded press-in inserts so you could securely bolt the thing to something else.

I use the inserts to hold my punch template when marking hole locations.

Next, I use a roll pin punch as a transfer punch to mark the hole centers.

Then I punch the holes with a Roper-Whitney No.-XX hand punch (in the benchtop holding bracket).

This thing is freaking indispensable. One of the best purchases I have ever made. I also got the full set of punches and dies for it and stuck ‘em in a snazzy little box and made a cheat sheet for the lid.

Next you punch the holes.

The four black dots in the upper picture are to mark where to drill holes for the wires for each filter. Those holes are drilled with a unibit/step bit:

Next, the threaded inserts are knocked out and the holes plugged with rivets (or a set screw, whichever I have on hand at the time), and the 9V battery holders are riveted on.

I also stick the rubber feet on at this point.
Next: the panels.

The panels, well, they take more work than they should. The available thicknesses of Metalphoto panels are either too thick or too thin for the slots in the housing, so they need to be laminated to a support layer. I use 0.030” FR4 PCB stock and epoxy.

After laminating, they have to be trimmed and the holes re-punched, whee!
For trimming, I use this modified benchtop shear & brake:

The panels afterward, with the holes deburred & countersunk:

Oh, right, the PCBs:

And at some point in time they get populated:

Now filters and jacks attached to their respective panels:

Now the wires:

(from left to right)
(4x) I/O cables for each filter - Out, Gain, Input, High/Low
(2x) Power to jack panel PCB
(1x) Power jack
(1x) Power source selector switch
(2x) Power cables for filters
To keep things clean - and because it’s fun - I braid the I/O harnesses.

All leads are tested with this simple breadboard setup

The 9V battery snap leads:

I put a rubber grommet in the housing (to protect the snap leads from being damaged) then feed the leads through, terminate them, and put a strain-relief knot inside the housing to prevent them being pulled out of the PCB. Then the power jack and the standoffs for the power PCB are installed.

The power PCB and power switch go in next.

Now the wires

Jack panel:

The spacers keep the jack panel from bending (the original used steel panels which were strong enough to not bend).

The filter panel:

And the finished build

mt3
Wow.
Most valuable resource on the internet.
Fookin' excellent documentation!
SlayerBadger!
HeWhoWantsJeans
That's an awesome write-up, Flight. Thanks for putting in all the time to show everyone how the sausage got made. thumbs up
flight
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
That's an awesome write-up, Flight. Thanks for putting in all the time to show everyone how the sausage got made. thumbs up

Quote:
...to show everyone how the sausage got made.

Quote:
...how the sausage got made.

eek!
justin3am
I always wondered about the enclosure on these. I had no idea that is was such an involved process. Thanks for the images!

Here is mine:
HeWhoWantsJeans
flight wrote:

eek!

Now we all know the Quads are made of blood, sweat and sacrificed alarm system device enclosures.
thumbs up
chvad
i missed this build thread before. i was one of the lucky ones to get one of the last QPB and I was already grateful. After seeing this.. even more so! Great thread.
EarlJemmings
Popping in with a question- my psu stopped working about a week after I got the PB, so I started just using batteries. But I keep forgetting to turn it off and it's eating all my dang batteries!
However, I seem to have lost the psu- what should I get as a replacement?
flight
EarlJemmings wrote:
Popping in with a question- my psu stopped working about a week after I got the PB, so I started just using batteries. But I keep forgetting to turn it off and it's eating all my dang batteries!
However, I seem to have lost the psu- what should I get as a replacement?
When did you order yours and was it from me? If so, you should have let me know right away.

Regardless, by psu I assume you meant the wall wart/wall adapter. They use a 250mA (or greater) 12VAC adapter with a 5.5mm OD x 2.1mm ID x 10mm L barrel plug connector.
You can use this adapter from Jameco as a replacement.
JohnLRice
Cool build document, flight! Rawk! Thanks for taking the time to post it! thumbs up
EarlJemmings
flight wrote:
]When did you order yours and was it from me? If so, you should have let me know right away

Sorry oops I did order it from you, I have #2/10. It seemed like a freak accident of the wall wart, didn't think much of it. I believe the wall wart itself stopped working, rather then the connection being bad.
Thanks for the info!
flight
EarlJemmings wrote:
flight wrote:
]When did you order yours and was it from me? If so, you should have let me know right away

Sorry oops I did order it from you, I have #2/10. It seemed like a freak accident of the wall wart, didn't think much of it. I believe the wall wart itself stopped working, rather then the connection being bad.
Thanks for the info!
I is bad at names and lazy at checking my receipt logs. I just checked and now see why "EarlJemmings" didn't ring any bells...
Forumcat #1 Dude, warranty.

I'll send you a replacement this week, k? Just please PM or email me to verify your address.
EarlJemmings
flight wrote:
I is bad at names and lazy at checking my receipt logs. I just checked and now see why "EarlJemmings" didn't ring any bells...
Forumcat #1 Dude, warranty.

I'll send you a replacement this week, k? Just please PM or email me to verify your address.

Ah yeah of course, sorry, it's not the best username. But I've got so much history with it!
I appreciate the support, but I've already ordered it with a couple other things I've needed, no need to have a second.
But thanks, I'm getting lots of use out of my quad PB Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1