MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Flying Lotus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Flying Lotus
Jason Brock
I've been getting into his stuff a lot lately. Don't have the new album yet, but will get it soon.

Anyway, I wonder if this guy uses any modular gear? I was listening to "Breathe Something/Stellar Star" last night and it occurred to me that this song is full of things that sound a lot like a Low Pass Gate. I guess they could easily be samples too.

Ranxerox
Not that familiar with his back catalogue, but 'Cosmogramma' is a cool album.

Recent interview with him in The Wire magazine had a couple of pictures of what I guess was his home studio; the only analogue synth in there looked to be a Little Phatty.

Pretty sure he mainly uses software other than that, t.b.h. hip-hop isn't a natural musical refuge for modular synth nerds...
qu.one
he is a huge proponent of side chain gating/compression. that technique along with different time signatures and has been dubbed "wonky" (hudson mohawke, etc) if i heard correctly recently.
Arturo00
My one and only experience with flying lotus was for the video for "Parisian Goldfish" which was directed by Eric Wareheim of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job. I stumbled across the video from a link on the Tim and Eric website. I wasn't suprised in the slightest that it's associated with either of them. Great song and a great video!

Arturo00
Ugh. I just noticed this video is "sensored". If you haven't seen it, try and find the full version.
bleeps
I saw him live last month on the first of a two-night engagement. The first night was him on his laptop and a control surface. It was an incredible show. His live solo performance really expands on his hip-hop/jazz roots and blends in techno, drum n bass, ambient and rock. The guy really loves music in all forms.

Sadly, I didn't catch the second night which was the full band set up that I believe he employed on the second album.
Jason Brock
Also, if you watch Adult Swim, his music is used a lot in their bumpers/station ads.
rafe127
+1 on the sidechain.
+1 on the wonky.
Mr. Green

qu.one wrote:
he is a huge proponent of side chain gating/compression. that technique along with different time signatures and has been dubbed "wonky" (hudson mohawke, etc) if i heard correctly recently.

I have seen him live a couple of times, and he was laptop and control surface. Pretty sure he was using Ableton Live.

I love the "Los Angeles" album, and the EPs.
Cosmogramma is just OK for me, although it is growing.
jeannot
I love the slipped quantize/time signature change sound! It wasn't the inspiration, but it is definitely one of the applications of the slip setting on the Shuffling Clock Multiplier, slide those hats!
blue_lu
flying lotus is a massive inspiration and actually what drew me towards electronic music ...
bsmith
I just got turned onto this guy yesterday, really beautiful stuff.

Danotranto
hahah that was awesome!
JP
He used to use a monome, Hugo think he sold it a few months back, seem to recall it sold at a premium on eBay, with a sharpie signature on the underside.
itijik
Ranxerox wrote:
t.b.h. hip-hop isn't a natural musical refuge for modular synth nerds...

I don't care about specific genres much anymore, but I would consider a lot of the stuff I make to be in the hip hop family (electro, dnb, dubstep, whatever)...and I am definetly a synth nerd.

flying lotus = dope in my book.
anthonybisset
From a dynamics standpoint the only air is between tracks. I like his music, but I'd enjoy it so much more if he took advantage of more than the upper 8 bits of resolution. Admittedly, building your genre around winning the loudness war is a successful formula, since people respond to energy more than content. I like it, he's skilled, but it'd be so much more kicking if there was some sculpting to give more dynamic range.

I guess what I'm saying is listening to a whole song fatigues me. What do you guys listen to this stuff on? Lotus on my mastering rig or Stax make my ears tired within maybe 1 to 2 minutes. Perhaps some monster turbines would work better. hmmm.....

It's amazing what a good system will do. I never thought I would appreciate Lionel Richie, but Dancing on the Ceiling is seriously well produced... As for the content, well... You have to have traveled to the right universe(s) to even consider playing it.
drewtoothpaste
The compression is the sound, it doesn't have anything to do with "the loudness war."
anthonybisset
I wasn't being literal. I'm reminded it's always dangerous to embed sarcasm or take poetic liberty in the middle of an analysis, unless in the company of British.

So, I agree with you and yet, I still think what I said.

Dead Banana

I take it you like Flying Lotus more than Lionel Richie?
This *is* getting serious!
rafe127
drewtoothpaste wrote:
The compression is the sound, it doesn't have anything to do with "the loudness war."

I agree Drew (at least I agree with what I think you are saying).

There a lot of ways to use compression and he relies pretty heavily on it as a tool. The sidechaining and pumping sound is a big part of the way Flying Lotus "sculpts" his sound, and it seems to me to be a creative choice, not a competitive one (re: loudness wars).

IMO his "energy" and his "content" = nanners
Jason Brock
anthonybisset wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is listening to a whole song fatigues me. What do you guys listen to this stuff on? Lotus on my mastering rig or Stax make my ears tired within maybe 1 to 2 minutes.

These days, 90% of my "listening for fun" is delivered via the crappy speakers in a 2007 Honda Civic, so I think it is safe to assume the high end is being kept in check. I know what you mean about ear fatigue though. This stuff isn't the first thing I reach for if I'm sitting in front of my Yamaha MSP3s.

I finally picked up Cosmogramma. It's OK so far but it hasn't grabbed me yet, not like Los Angeles. But sometimes the best albums are the ones that grow on you over time.
Daisuk
Can't believe it's been 10 years since Los Angeles was released (back in April 2008)! eek!

Still one of my all time favorite records. It's just exquisite from start to finish. I can still remember the absolute awe I felt when I heard the record for the first time on the commute on my way to work. Just fantastic. I had high expectations after the Reset EP, and was not disappointed, to say the least.

I wish he'd done more stuff in that vein, but seems like he went towards more jazzy endeavours after LA. Never really felt much of it, but he's clearly talented, and all the good dudes seem to appreciate jazz, so I get that I just don't get it. lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1