MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Updating Xaoc Batumi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Updating Xaoc Batumi
BasariStudios
Hello,
why i have big problem updating Batumi to the Expert FW?
I do as described in the Manual and i do not know what i am missing.
I have a Jumper in the UPDATE thing as it is drawn in there with a line around
where it is supposed to be, all the Sliders down, when i open the Program on
PC it asks me to select the FW file, then instructs me to Plugin. When i plugin
it can not find a driver for it but on the small Program for Update continues to
ask me again to select a FW File, then OK again, then the same cycle all over
again...i don't know what i am missing and there is NOTHING on the net i can
find on this or anything on You Tube.
Bigsteak
Try another USB cable and Port. Some USB cables only send power and not data.
BasariStudios
Thanks BigSteak, i will try another USB Port...as far as Cable goes i had to
drive to BestBuy to buy one which was 15$, i don't think i will have option to
try few different cables...ugh. Thanks
extensie
I uploaded the expert fw last week and I had two issues: power-only USB cable and missing drivers. For the latter, install the FTDI drivers as described in update_readme.txt.
BasariStudios
Thanks for your help guys, i was excited to get the other functions but it is
impossible for me. I installed the Drivers, 2 different Cables and many different
Usb Ports but it does not work...i guess i'll leave it for now, too bad.
Dark Barn
If you have the drivers installed correctly and the correct type of cord it should show up in your USB devices without running the updater. If you can get that part squared away you should be set. I actually had to try four different cords out of my junk drawer before I found one that worked. I think many of them on the market are just power cords and not wired for data.
BasariStudios
Thanks...i will see if i find the right Cable somewhere or even
if someone can point me to a link on the net i will order it.
I guess something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SKN6238-MicroUSB-Data-Cable/dp/B000X96 G1K
But what is weird is its only 4 Bucks, the one from Best Buy i paid 15 bucks and still does not work. LOL

Thanks
arthurdent
As already pointed out, a lot of the USB cables with mini plugs are designed only for charging - cell phones, etc. You need to get one that designed for use with an external hard drive or a digital camera. I use the cable that came with an external hard drive that I use with my laptop - it's a 2.5" drive and uses a mini USB cable. I also have a cable for my Canon camera to transfer pics from the camera to the computer.
BasariStudios
Thanks Arthur, i do not seem to find a Cable like that, i guess will wait
until something pops out...the ones on Amazon i do not know which one,
i bought one at Best Buy but it did not work.

Thanks
erstlaub
While yes a charging cable won't do the job, the type of cable isn't the only thing that can cause difficulties.

There are a few suggestions/discussions about updates on the last few pages of the main batumi thread - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155713&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=350

I'd suggest reading through those rather than waiting until a random cable might pop up on amazon. I've used a USB cable that I know can connect my phone or a camera to a computer, I don't think I've got any USB cables that are charge only TBH.
oranginafiend
You should also just try a different computer. Neither my Windows PC nor Macbook Pro worked but I went to a friend's house and their PC worked without even having to install the drivers.
arthurdent
I just tried to update my Batumi. I'm using an Apple computer running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and the update app wouldn't even launch. I tried the factory update and the expert update, no luck at all. I don't have ready access to another computer/operating system so I sent a note to Xoac to see if they can enlighten me.
arthurdent
SUCCESS applause applause

I went to the MuffWiggler link listed above, on Page 16, Matthias discusses using a Python script to get the updater to run, took a little fudging around to get it to work, went through 2 different USB cables, had to re-boot the computer after I loaded the driver but it worked. I just put the module back in the rack and fired it up, the random stuff is GREAT It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
BasariStudios
arthurdent wrote:
the random stuff is GREAT It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!

angry angry angry
BasariStudios
Today i found a cable from my Mini Card Reader, its the same exact
Cable...it used to transfer DATA, i should give this a try.
echox
Dark Barn wrote:
If you have the drivers installed correctly and the correct type of cord it should show up in your USB devices without running the updater.

You can check this with "lsusb" on linux or a mac and on windows in the device manager of system control.
Anything listed?
roberto raccagni
Ciao from Italy.
I tried to install in my computer (Win 7 64 bit with FTDI driver installed) "individual" driver but the answer was: "Error NACK 0x31 programming failed".
After that I tried to install "expert"...
The same answer...
After that I tried with "factory" driver. Just the same...
I put Batumi in my system and all LEDS are lit...
Note that every time the sequenced operations was:
1. Unzip "XAOC Batumi Factory FW.zip"
2. Open XAOC Firmware UpdateTool Win
3. Computer: "Click OK to select a firmware file"
4. I open "Xaoc Firmware Update Tool Win"
5. Computer: Will write firmware "Xaoc Firmware Update Tool Win.exe". Make sure the module...
6. Click OK
7. Computer: "Now plug your module..."
8. I connectded the module
9. Computer: "are you really sure you want...". On the bottom: "Found new device at port Com3"
10. Click OK
11. Computer: "writing firmare"
12. after a minute: "Click OK to select a firmware file". On the bottom: "Error NACK 0x31 programming failed"
13. I disconnect the module from computer, I connected in my eurorack system. All lights are lit!
No function...
I tried on another computer. I used a USB cable from my Korg Nanokontrol2.
Please... Help me
rbhansen
roberto raccagni wrote:
Ciao from Italy.
4. I open "Xaoc Firmware Update Tool Win"
5. Computer: Will write firmware "Xaoc Firmware Update Tool Win.exe". Make sure the module...

These steps don't look right to me...you're trying to use the firmware update tool itself as the firmware file. You should be selecting the firmware file...either batumi-v1.0.bin or batumi-alt-v1.1.bin (depending on which version you want) in step 4.

Also, there's more help re firmware updates on the primary Batumi thread at https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155713
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1