MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Swapping Little Phatty for Boomstar 5089
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Swapping Little Phatty for Boomstar 5089
albiedamned
I'm considering selling my Little Phatty Stage 2 and getting a Boomstar 5089. The reason is space - I want to add a poly keyboard synth but I need to get rid of another keyboard to make room. I do have space to add a desktop unit like the Boomstar though.

They seem to be very close in terms of features. The overall architecture is very similar - 2 VCOs, a filter, 2 envelopes, and 1 LFO. The biggest thing I'd be losing is patch memory obviously, but I'm primarily a modular guy so that's ok with me. I prefer the knob-per-function, WYSIWYG interface of the Boomstar. I'd also be losing variable oscillator shapes, but I can live with that. I'd be gaining a few things like mixable noise and ring mod (LP's ring mod is all or nothing), a sub-oscillator, and looping envelopes. I also really like that the Boomstar tracks V/octave. The LP uses Moog's annoying not-quite-V/oct standard which makes it very difficult to control with my modular.

Did I miss anything in my feature comparison?

My biggest question is the sound. I really like the sound of the LP, particularly for bass. Can the Boomstar sound similar? I know that ladder filters typically lose bass as you increase the resonance, and I've experienced that myself with some modular filters that I've had. But the LP doesn't seem to suffer from this. Does the Boomstar lose bass with increased resonance? Also, how does the feedback on the Boomstar sound? Is it similar to the overdrive on the LP? And speaking of overdrive, the Boomstar has overdrive at the VCA. How does this sound? I don't think there's a comparable feature on the LP.

Hopefully there are some wigglers who have used both units and can answer these questions for me. Thanks in advance for your responses.
estin
My LP most definitely lost lots of bass and volume when resonance was increased. The Boomstar sounds like a more refined Moog to me with a lot more top end sizzle. The oscillators and filter are modeled after the model D from what I recal so it will sound different than your LP for sure. I liked my LP but for me it only excelled in 1 pole filter mode with feedback and resonance. Just nasty buzzy squelch! The 4 pole mode was just dull and meh.
stikygum
I think you'll get similar sounds, but there will be differences. The Boomstar sounds more raw and like estin said, has more top end sizzle. The Boomstar is punchy like a Moog, but I wonder if you get the same bottom end heft. Overall though, the Boomstar sounds more vintage, while the LP sounds more modern and somewhat darker imo. The LP is still nice and creamy, but it misses some of that vintage rawness. I'd like to hear a side by side comparison of the 5089 and LP.
Anfim
Keep in mind the Boomstar has a pretty much non-existent midi spec. It's essentially note on and off, whereas you can automate pretty much everything on the moog. Might not be that important to some but was a deal breaker for me!
stikygum
Understandable because everyone's workflow is different, but the fun of the smaller compact Boomstar is that it's so quick to tweak anything, I don't miss the lack of extensive midi.
albiedamned
Lack of midi control doesn't bother me, since like I said, I'm primarily a modular guy so I'd just treat the 5089 like a module.
h4ndcrafted
Am I right in thinks no the boomstars are all through hole ?

There is a video on YouTube with a guy who has a late 70 s minimoog against the reissue and the LP. I was surprised how well the LP kept up. The sound wasn't that far off at all, a lot less harsh than the subs when you have the Rez up.

You could always go Slim Phatty if you will really miss that bass.

The Booms sure have a nice sound though.
albiedamned
They are through hole. SE's website has this:

Quote:
S. E.'s patchable, discrete, through-hole, hand-matched transistor, American-made analog synthesizers are as rugged as they are flexible; inspiring instruments built to last a lifetime, and then some, no matter which brilliant, hand-crafted filter model you choose.

Regarding the Slim Phatty, I like the layout and features of the 5089 much better than the SP. So if I'm going to go with a desktop module, I'd rather get the 5089. My only real concern is the sound, since I quite like the LP's sound.

I'm guessing this is one of those cases where while the sound is not identical, you have to be a highly critical "golden ears" type listener to really pick up the differences. As long as the 5089 can get me 90% of the way to the Moog/LP sound, I'll be happy.

I would like for someone who has used the 5089 to comment on how much bass loss it suffers when you turn up the resonance, and whether the feedback or overdrive help compensate.
hairbow
Oscillators of Boomstar are expanded designs of MiniMoog VCOs that allow for pwm, FM, etc
VCA of Boomstar is exactly part for part copy of MiniMoog VCA
5089 filter is Moog transistor design

The Boomstar will get you more than "90% of the way there Miley Cyrus
albiedamned
A year and a half later, I finally pulled the trigger and got a 5089. I just had my first play through with it, and I am loving it. It sounds amazing. Punchy, lots of bass, and the filter is amazing (of course). The sub oscillator adds a lot. Of course I loved the sound of the Little Phatty too, and I haven't compared them directly, but the immediacy of the 5089's control panel I think it is subconsciously making me like the sound even more since it's so easy to tweak. It does lose bass when you turn up the resonance, but that's ok.

The 5089 is the real deal. It's a serious synth with a serious sound.

FYI I got the original model, not the new MKII version.
Biom
Congrats with the purchase!
Do you think it is worth it's price? Slim phatty costs much less, that's why I'm asking
albiedamned
Biom wrote:
Congrats with the purchase!
Do you think it is worth it's price? Slim phatty costs much less, that's why I'm asking

I got it in new-in-box condition off eBay from a seller in Israel for $590 plus $50 shipping. The seller said he owned a music store that closed. Definitely seemed a little suspicious, but it got here quickly and in good condition. It was definitely worth that price!

I'm already thinking about whether I want another one, probably the SEM.
Biom
Fantastic price for a mint item!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts after a year of use. Sometimes synths seem not that amazing when the honeymoon is over)

I also noticed the Boomstars have a very special big sound, similar to vintage synths. It's one of the best modern mono's to my ears within its price range. Sounds nothing like Arturia and all the blinky modern crap.
albiedamned
I haven't had it for a year. I've only had it for a few days. I took over a year to finally decide to get it!

I agree with describing it's sound as big. That's a good word to describe it.
scuto
My Boomstar (SE80, but otherwise the same MKI) has such a rich sound that even when I'm not dialing in the sound I want or need (it can take some time, I'm picky), I'm still enjoying what I hear. And its richness is not matched by anything else I own! I'd love three of those oscillators... hmm, maybe their Oscillation euro module? Ah, crap, talked myself down the rabbit hole again! help
albiedamned
scuto wrote:
My Boomstar (SE80, but otherwise the same MKI) has such a rich sound that even when I'm not dialing in the sound I want or need (it can take some time, I'm picky), I'm still enjoying what I hear. And its richness is not matched by anything else I own! I'd love three of those oscillators... hmm, maybe their Oscillation euro module? Ah, crap, talked myself down the rabbit hole again! help

I suspect the envelopes are a big part of the sound too. I don't think the SE "Shapers" module is the same envelopes as in the Boomstars though; I think that's just a rebranded Pittsburgh Modular module. So I guess you'll just have to buy another Boomstar.
scuto
albiedamned wrote:
I suspect the envelopes are a big part of the sound too. I don't think the SE "Shapers" module is the same envelopes as in the Boomstars though; I think that's just a rebranded Pittsburgh Modular module. So I guess you'll just have to buy another Boomstar.

I hear what you're saying, and definitely dig its envelopes. My more common use-case though is with its drone switch on, hence my interest in the oscillators in particular.
Licudi
albiedamned wrote:
I got it in new-in-box condition off eBay from a seller in Israel for $590 plus $50 shipping. The seller said he owned a music store that closed. Definitely seemed a little suspicious, but it got here quickly and in good condition. It was definitely worth that price!

I got my 3003 from the same guy last September for £399 plus £40 shipping. A good deal especially as the 3003 has been discontinued by SE.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1