MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Roots of Trance
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author The Roots of Trance
what's the info for the event? Is it indoors or outdoors?:-) that's a lot o flying to do for a party on the other side of the coast:D
Babaluma
not as far as i'd have to travel! hope to see gil in europe at some stage.

first i heard of goa/psy was the "project 2 trance" dragonfly comp in 94. went to goa in 95 and had a great time! kept up with the scene until around 99 when i moved to japan, and got a bit fed up with it. but still like to play the old stuff now and again. very little of the new stuff excites me, particularly if it's just a rehash of the old sound (which most of it seems to be). musically, it seems to be stuck in somewhat of a rut, and i don't get as much of a psychedelic vibe from it as i used to.

dog ov tears is amazing though. smile

Rockin' Banana!
Suburban Bather
dogoftears wrote:
oh man are you kidding babz... check out the entire X-Dream album "Irritant" it is a sonic masterpiece!!!

I concur! Its an awesome album The Chewbacca Defense I bought it when tower records was having their going out of business sale. Random pick from the electronic music section turned out to be a winner hyper
morphic
i still have all my tip cd's except phosphorescent which i sold with some other stuff as was my least favorite
CJ Miller
No mention yet of Eat Static? Perhaps the only people brave/crazy enough to tour playing a Waldorf Wave

Babaluma
saw eat static at a VERY messy new year's eve escape from samsara, must have been around 95, remember the warnings about the ganesh's being four times stronger than usual (they were...), and ending up in a massage circle with about 20 other loved up people in the chillout room... lol
djs
CJ Miller wrote:
No mention yet of Eat Static? Perhaps the only people brave/crazy enough to tour playing a Waldorf Wave

Eat static are my favorites- they're the band that got me into psytrance... I have almost everything they released..

I always liked the tribal nature of this one:
morphic
saw eat static last yr . And yr before new year eve party they were supporting my mates band firefarm and ephxsis . Just a one man outfit now . 1st saw them back in 94 supportting back to the planet at brixton fridge . 1st time id heard psy, i was really into nitzer ebb front242 at the time...

some great killing joke remixes around at that time too
dogoftears
i love eat static, my friend saw them last year in europe and said he still kicks quite a hefty amount of ass.
morphic
ive a nice lazer etched eat static 12" somewhere will take a foto and up load it Edit :

found it survivors ltd edition no 003
morphic
ive some other lazer etched and colour disc's sheep on drugs d.mode

but guess thats a different topic
TTSOUNDWARE
I would like to make some indication to Frankfurt classic trance scene when it started back in 1990 with releases for example from Resistance D. I have checked lot of trance proto stuff but i think that PF-On the run potentially can be first trance track ever,
TTSOUNDWARE
I would like to make some indication to Frankfurt classic trance scene when it started back in 1990 with releases for example from Resistance D. I have checked lot of trance proto stuff but i think that PF-On the run potentially can be first trance track ever,
Hermetech Mastering
TTSOUNDWARE wrote:

I loved the early German trance scene too, collected a lot of that stuff in the early 90's, loads of FAX, Harthouse and later Eye-Q etc. Resistance D were amazing, I still have that "Approach & Identify" white label (can't remember the proper title).

Pink Floyd's "On the Run" is a great track, but I'm not necessarily sure I'd call it Trance. As far as I'm concerned the earliest definitive Trance track was The KLF's original What Time Is Love (Pure Trance Mix) from 1988, which still blows me away.

http://www.discogs.com/KLF-What-Time-Is-Love-Pure-Trance-1/release/927 68
morphic
Resistance D track is called cosmic love and can be found here on this great 1993 cd

djs
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
Resistance D were amazing, I still have that "Approach & Identify" white label (can't remember the proper title).

don't remember the title, but it's on the resistance d album, which is awesome.

I collect a lot of classic frankfurt style trance- old noom records, harthouse, etc. It's too bad that "hard trance" has turned into club style oontz hard house music these days
djs
also, if anyone is looking for good hard trance mixes, try to find Dan Efex- Plixx.. it's one of the best I've ever heard. Actually, most of Dan Efex's mixes are awesome
sonicwarrior
bonusplays wrote:
People may hate me for it [...] hybrid of ridiculous trance breakdowns [...] and Southern rap.

I don't hate you, but that's the worst of trance mixed with bad rap. Not my cup of tea.

suitandtieguy wrote:
epic/anthem trance basically destroyed dance music.

Do you mean stuff like 'The Orange Theme'? eek!

I only have one Platipus vinyl: Poltergeist - Vicious Circles Remixes (by Union Jack & Carl Cox) and at least those two tracks are not cheesy in any way.

solitaryzen wrote:
I made a bit of music in the early 90's that was classified as trance.

Wow, I really liked your Zen Paradox track 'Analogue Exotica 2' on the Natural Born Techno 1 compilation

morphic wrote:
Resistance D track is called cosmic love and can be found here on this great 1993 cd

I guess it can be found on lots of compilations. I have it on 'Logic Trance' which also features Age of Love, Ongaku - Mihon #3 and other classics.

Don't like the typical -xxx rolling bass lines that every psytrance track seems to have. Does no one like variation anymore? seriously, i just don't get it
the bad producer
Maybe slightly OT, but reviewing the thread it seems a lot of videos are DOA - are youtube getting hotter on deleting stuff nowadays?

Back to the trance, I always liked this:

The A-side is pretty heavy too.

Also this:

Hermetech Mastering
99% of the modern Psy I hear I detest. And I hate all the myriad sub-genres now. But there is still good/interesting/new twist stuff out there, just have to dig a bit deeper for it. Dog Of Tears and Xenomorph and Son Kite I all like a lot.

If you hang out on the various Psy forums and Psy production sub forums you'll see everyone trying to copy everyone else and sound exactly the same, hardly the definition of being in a mind manifesting trance state...
djs
If you hang out on the various Psy forums and Psy production sub forums you'll see everyone trying to copy everyone else and sound exactly the same, hardly the definition of being in a mind manifesting trance state...

This- I have about 200 psy/goa records, but stopped buying them around 2002-2003 when everything went techno, and then now turned into aggro-trance (at least to my ears).

Not that everything has to sound like Astral Projection from 1996, but definitely the "psychedelic" feel seems to be lost.
Hermetech Mastering
djs wrote:
This- I have about 200 psy/goa records, but stopped buying them around 2002-2003 when everything went techno, and then now turned into aggro-trance (at least to my ears).

Not that everything has to sound like Astral Projection from 1996, but definitely the "psychedelic" feel seems to be lost.

i have a slightly different story. for me everything was techno (as in detroit and german) from around 90-94, then i went to goa and started attending psy parties from 95, and by 98 I was bored with it all. too many scenesters falling into what we then termed "the trance vacuum", and it appears that many have remained there ever since. ever try getting any of those peeps to listen to current 93 or throbbing gristle? it's funny to try. wink there are exceptions of course, but those psy production forums are very sad places to hang out.
sonicwarrior
ever try getting any of those peeps to listen to current 93 or throbbing gristle?

Really?

This sounds like Proto-Trance to me (like Sharivari is Proto-Techno):

Bet this was played by DJ Laurent in Goa in the 80's.
Bobby
some of my early formative years were spent listening to trance around the harthouse time. i remember it fondly but can't seem to go back and re-listen. On a more modern tip I'm very into "Donato Dozzy" and "Voices from the lake" et al. I think they capture what i remember trance sounding like but manage to do it far more gracefully.

please note : this thread looks great but i haven't been able to find the time to look through it all yet.
Hermetech Mastering
sonicwarrior wrote:
Really?

This sounds like Proto-Trance to me (like Sharivari is Proto-Techno):

Bet this was played by DJ Laurent in Goa in the 80's.

Exactly my point. Back in the day anything and everything was up for grabs, but now it mostly all seems to be about stale formulas, and it's been that way since the late 90's.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 6 of 7