MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Allan Holdsworth - R.I.P.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Allan Holdsworth - R.I.P.

JohnLRice

Gone at 70 years old today. waah

A few favorite cuts:

Gong – Night Illusion

UK – Nevermore

Allan Holdsworth – Home

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

What...

the...

Fuck?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can't find a single thing out about how he died. I guess the news will trickle out over the next few days.

I still remember spotting my black-sleeve vinyl copy of I.O.U. in a little record store in Santa Cruz while on vacation with my parents. I had been digging Holdsworth on Jean-Luc Ponty's album "Enigmatic Ocean" but was having trouble finding anything by him in record stores. And then, there it was. Life changed. I still listen to that album whenever I want to remind myself of just how good a guitar player can be.

JohnLRice

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
What...

the...

Fuck?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I know! seriously, i just don't get it It's like the last few years the world is trying to purge all the prog rock greats or something. sad banana

bandwidth

Wow, what a talent he was. I was lucky to get to see the original UK line-up when they toured in '78. RIP.

aokjoey0

It's not fun to be a prog fan the last couple of years: Squire, Emerson, Lake, Wetton, now Holdsworth... sad banana sad banana sad banana waah

aokjoey0

A quote from his daughter's Facebook page "It is with heavy hearts that we notify everyone of the passing of our beloved father. We would appreciate privacy and time while we grieve the loss of our dad, grandad, friend and musical genius. We will update close friends and family when service arrangements have been made and will notify the public of an open memorial service, which all would be welcome. We are undeniably still in shock with his unexpected death and cannot begin to put into words the overwhelming sadness we are experiencing. He is missed tremendously. Louise, Sam, Emily & Rori."

Apparently it was unexpected....[/i]

tim gueguen

Someone on another forum said they'd seen Holdsworth a couple of weeks ago and that he looked under the weather.

nostalghia

bandwidth wrote:
Wow, what a talent he was. I was lucky to get to see the original UK line-up when they toured in '78. RIP.

Saw the first UK tour with him myself that year. I'm not a guitarist, but my jaw dropped watching Holdsworth play. Virtuoso that made it look almost effortless. His unique legato solo phrasing was inspired by sax legends like Coltrane and Parker.

I really love his playing on Soft Machine's "Bundles". But some of his best stuff was with Tony William's Lifetime-high powered fusion from mid 70's. Try "Believe It" (Red Alert=wow!!)and "Million Dollar Legs". There's a remastered Tony Williams "Collection" for $10 on iTunes that has all tracks from both lps.

Fastus

A good article from NPR:

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/04/17/524332013/allan-holds worth-revered-fusion-guitarist-dies-at-70

tim gueguen

His long running collaborator Gary Husband put out a memoriam today on his Facebook page. He said that Holdsworth had been suffering from problems with alcohol in recent years, exacerbated by things like a divorce. The last couple of years sound like they were especially bad. And unfortunately his comments seem to match some things I read last night about Holdsworth's work during the last 5 years or so.

aokjoey0

Wikipedia is listing COD as a heart attack, FYI. Which could have been a result of the above. He and Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs) were never satisfied with their playing, almost to a fault. I wonder if that played into his depression.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Apparently, he didn't have the proverbial pot to piss in, either, and that had to have exacerbated his poor emotional situation.

aokjoey0

Ugh....the stereotypical incredible artist who dies penniless. Sad.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

aokjoey0 wrote:
Ugh....the stereotypical incredible artist who dies penniless. Sad.

Yes, and he was virtually penniless for most of his adult life, it seems. Even back in the 80s, during his heyday, he could barely afford to pay his rent.

The strange thing is, he could have made a very handsome living just giving lessons. I take piano lessons. They cost $50 an hour. My teacher gives about six lessons a day, about four days a week. That's $1,200 a week. That's about $60k a year. Not a fortune to be sure, but easily enough to "afford the rent," and it's a pretty easy gig, and Allan Holdsworth could have charged twice or three times that. He could have done masterclasses and charged a significant fee. Just about every guitar player in the world would have killed to learn from him. He also was evidently quite skilled technically. He could have "bottled" his sound and offered it as a product, much like Tom Scholz (of Boston fame) did back in the 80s with his "Rockman" (I had one of those -- they were great). I would have paid many 100s of dollars to get the sound he had on I.O.U., and I'm sure thousands of other guitarists would have as well. With his compositional skills, he could have done movie scores.

I can only conclude that Allan Holdsworth was one of those guys who never thought about making money. I'm just the opposite. I was unemployed for exactly three weeks in my entire adult life -- between May 18 and June 10, 1986. I felt like one of those coyotes who would chew his own leg off to escape a trap. For me, it has always been "make some money first, then do what you want." I understand that many people don't (or can't) think that way, and it unfortunately often just leads to poverty, where you can't do what you want anyway and you feel shitty about it (and maybe drink yourself to death, as AH seems to have done). This is a tragic situation, because it was so completely avoidable.

MindMachine

Loved him on UK and Bruford albums.

A guy at work said he was gonna wear black all of next week. His fave for sure.

never got to see him. RIP.

aokjoey0

I agree the master class thing would have been good for him financially. But I have to wonder, given his slight introverted and self-derisive nature, whether he would have been able to go that route. If one is a perfectionist, it might be hard to 1. deal with mere mortal players and 2. feel like you have something to give, if you're always searching for your perfect performance.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

aokjoey0 wrote:
I agree the master class thing would have been good for him financially. But I have to wonder, given his slight introverted and self-derisive nature, whether he would have been able to go that route. If one is a perfectionist, it might be hard to 1. deal with mere mortal players and 2. feel like you have something to give, if you're always searching for your perfect performance.

When the alternative is dying in penury...? You see the way I think. I'd do whatever I had to do to build up some kind of savings account and get my day-to-day finances in order.

aokjoey0

Me too. But I guess some people don't see that brick wall getting closer and closer. Or they can't change course for some reason.

Sad regardless. Nice Chat! RIP Allan! we're not worthy

felixer

he struck me as a complete depressive. seen him live a few times ...
he seems to have drunken himself to death. not so surprising in a way ...
but sad still the same ... at least it wasn't heroine ...

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

felixer wrote:
he struck me as a complete depressive. seen him live a few times ...
he seems to have drunken himself to death. not so surprising in a way ...
but sad still the same ... at least it wasn't heroine ...

Yes, it is surprising that someone who is so good at something could be so miserable. I knew someone who was absolutely at the very tippy-top of his field, had won every award that could be won, had earned every accolade, etc, etc. He was absolutely miserable and drank himself to death when he was one year older than I am right now. Accomplishment is no antidote to being miserable, it seems.

felixer

i wonder how long it takes before the 'tribute albums' will start to appear ...
me and a mate are already planning something ... will go by the (working)name of 'bicycle man' cool
no 'greatest hits' album for sure as he had none ... but a nice compilation could do well!

tim gueguen

The closest thing Holdsworth had to a hit was the first UK album, which apparently sold more that 250 thousand copies during its first year or so of release. He even had a writing credit on one tune. So I can't help but suspect he probably made more money from that one album than his own solo albums.

felixer

tim gueguen wrote:
The closest thing Holdsworth had to a hit was the first UK album, which apparently sold more that 250 thousand copies during its first year or so of release. He even had a writing credit on one tune. So I can't help but suspect he probably made more money from that one album than his own solo albums.

yeah ... it's funny though that that album is often missing from credits given to him. seems a lot of people missed it in the 'publicity storm' that was punkrock. and 'nevermore' (that was his piece) was never liked by wetton.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1