MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

6U for drones and audio processing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author 6U for drones and audio processing?
gnombient
Help me, o wise Frac wigglers! we're not worthy

Say you were going to put together 6U of Frac modules for external signal processing and making drones, what would you put in the case? In the ears? (Assume in this scenario that your 6U system will run into a portable mixer with some basic FX (reverb, etc.))

I ask because this isn't just a hypothetical situation. I want to keep my little Frac as compact and portable as possible, mostly due to expanding-family-related space issues at home. When I was buying most of my modules a decade ago, I didn't really do so with any specific goals in mind -- it was more of a "oh, this looks like it could be cool, and the kit is pretty cheap." Now that I have more responsibilities (and less disposable income), I need to be more intentional and disciplined about managing my meager piggy bank...

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!
Rob_C
Marvin Jones (former engineer at PAIA) has two Frac ear projects on his web pages; one is a multiple, and the other is a bias supply. The bias supply may appeal to you if you are doing droney stuff and want some manual CV over pitch and filtering and such.

Link ->Marvin Jones web page

Click on "Synth DIY" and then "Frac Ear Projects"
gnombient
Rob_C wrote:
Marvin Jones (former engineer at PAIA) has two Frac ear projects on his web pages; one is a multiple, and the other is a bias supply. The bias supply may appeal to you if you are doing droney stuff and want some manual CV over pitch and filtering and such.

Thanks for the suggestion and helpful link. I've done some DIY mults in one of my rack ears, but hadn't thought of doing a bias. It looks easy enough, I'll add that to my list (I may already have the parts...)
thee ghost ov n_phay
Synth Tech "Deflector Shield" is v good, it does frequency shifting (w/barberpole phasing effect) phasing or ring mod in one module. The barberpole phasing goes nice & slow too. The module is available as a euromodule from various suppliers (or used I suppose) and Blacet offer a panel/knob kit to convert it to frac format. It works fine at 15v and has a MOTM/Blacet style power connector on the board.
diophantine
gnombient wrote:
Rob_C wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion and helpful link. I've done some DIY mults in one of my rack ears, but hadn't thought of doing a bias. It looks easy enough, I'll add that to my list (I may already have the parts...)

Depending on your needs (if you don't need a negative bias) you can also build two passive attenuators into an ear, normal the first one's input to +10V, and then normal the second one's input to either the +10V, or (even better in my mind) normal the second one's input into the first one's input. That way you could use it as a two bias sources, two attenuators, a 2:1 "splitter", or one attenuator and one bias source.
gnombient
diophantine wrote:
Depending on your needs (if you don't need a negative bias) you can also build two passive attenuators into an ear, normal the first one's input to +10V, and then normal the second one's input to either the +10V, or (even better in my mind) normal the second one's input into the first one's input. That way you could use it as a two bias sources, two attenuators, a 2:1 "splitter", or one attenuator and one bias source.

Sounds intriguing... Are there any wiring diagrams out there for this kind of project for those with limited DIY abilities (like me)?
diophantine
Probably nothing specific out there on the interwebs... but I'll try and draw something up by the end of the weekend!
diophantine
Apparently I'm incapable of drawing with my laptop touchpad.

Here's the run-down for the individual attenuators:
- connect input jack tip to CW side of 100k linear pot.
- connect the wiper of the pot to the tip of the output jack.
- connect both jack sleeves, and the pot CCW side, together.

See passive attenuator under Basic Circuits here:
http://www.doepfer.de/DIY/a100_diy.htm

Then, connect +10V to the switch lug of the first attenuator's input jack.
Then, connect the first attenuator's input jack tip to the switch lug of the second attenuator's input jack.
Hermetech Mastering
I came up with this a while back for such things, but trouble is a lot of those modules are very hard to come by now.

https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/113256

As for ears I usually get mults and passive attens put in mine, Michael from Metalbox does great work on these.
gnombient
diophantine wrote:
Apparently I'm incapable of drawing with my laptop touchpad.

Here's the run-down for the individual attenuators:
- connect input jack tip to CW side of 100k linear pot.
- connect the wiper of the pot to the tip of the output jack.
- connect both jack sleeves, and the pot CCW side, together.

See passive attenuator under Basic Circuits here:
http://www.doepfer.de/DIY/a100_diy.htm

Then, connect +10V to the switch lug of the first attenuator's input jack.
Then, connect the first attenuator's input jack tip to the switch lug of the second attenuator's input jack.

Thanks for this, once I get a little DIY time I'll see if I can wire one of these up!
gnombient
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
I came up with this a while back for such things, but trouble is a lot of those modules are very hard to come by now.

https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/113256

As for ears I usually get mults and passive attens put in mine, Michael from Metalbox does great work on these.

That's a nice looking rack! Definitely too bad that the Serge and Wiard modules aren't available anymore...

How do you like the Morphing Terrarium? I've had my eye on that one and the Morphing Dual LFO.

How does the Deflector Shield stack up against the Blacet Klang Werk?
Hermetech Mastering
I came up with it, but I never sourced the modules... smile Working on a different 1u rack now, I have it all except the VCO and patch leads:

https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/397833

But target is different here, I want something for wibbly noises and Berlin School sequences, sequenced by the Elektron Analog Keys.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1