MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing: Totalmusik Polyphonic Wretch Machine for Kontakt
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Totalmusik Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Announcing: Totalmusik Polyphonic Wretch Machine for Kontakt

endmusik

it's HEEERrrrrrrrreeeeee......

http://www.totalmusik.com

Kent

Bought!

Even though I have a Wretch... fuck it. I'm in!
The Agonizer!

endmusik

You're the first! Thanks love

Any problems, email me at michael (at) totalmusik.com - it should be fairly straitforward once the downloads are all unzipped. The manual is in the first file.

And feedback is definitely welcome!

Kent

The D/L just finished. I'm gonna read 'em before hittin' the hay & then get down to business tomorrow. Sounds like my kinda fun!

One thing, maybe for the FAQ section; does this sample set specifically require Kontakt 4? Will it work with V3?

If not, I needed just one more excuse to upgrade anyhow and will do so. Fun times ahead!

decaying.sine

Got it earlier today. Thanks Michael!

bar|none

Holy fucking sweet!

endmusik

Kent wrote:
The D/L just finished. I'm gonna read 'em before hittin' the hay & then get down to business tomorrow. Sounds like my kinda fun!

One thing, maybe for the FAQ section; does this sample set specifically require Kontakt 4? Will it work with V3?

If not, I needed just one more excuse to upgrade anyhow and will do so. Fun times ahead!

Hey Kent!

I should probably put something in the FAQ - this is for Kontakt 4 (4.04.3077 to be exact hihi) - I decided to jump in at 4 as it's been updated a couple of times, and I've got it up and running pretty seamlessly on my end. Going forward for the next libraries I may downgrade to Kontakt 3 if I get any feedback that way, so if anyone has any issues with K4 please be vocal!

Another key thing about this library (that I should have put up in the manual but you never remember everything) is that each sample set is labeled numerically from 00-60, where _00 is C0 and _60 is C5 - so anyone looking to drag these samples into their sampler of choice can do so fairly simply.

My goal with this was to create a kind of Metasonix Tube Oscillator workstation, where the scripted panels would allow some top level control out of the gate but the real potential is in the creative programming done by each user. I included presets and variations to highlight ways of integrating extra Kontakt features and messing with the on-panel controls to act more as a jumping off point than a "this is a rompler, go make wonky IDM" situation.

Have fun with it! I've been using these sample sets while building them and it's really cool to be able to play this beast like this - not dissimilar to the Novachord in a lot of ways!

/michael

Kent

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the information. I always like to hear where a manufacturer's and/or developer's head was going during the creation process. I find that kind of thing extremely valuable and interesting.

waah News Update! waah
It definitely won't work with Kontakt 3. Upgrade time!!! nanners

slovo

Well, thanks for bringing it up because it's more than academic for me - I have kontakt 3 and there's no way I'm upgrading until the next v of komplete... so if you can, please do test! Thanks...

toothless_wonder

Guinness ftw!

Kent

Well, that was the test. I did it.

The conclusion is that Kontakt 3 can not recognize the 'kits' or 'sample sets' as something useable (it reports that they are corrupt). Thus it doesn't work and REQUIRES Kontakt 4.04.3077 and higher as per the man's post.

You could always create your own by using the well-labeled samples as provided in the download. It's extra work & you'll lose out on his Scripting efforts, but it could be done. Or just get Komplete 6 or Kontakt 4 now and be done with it.

endmusik

Once the headache's subside from the massive amount of time spent on this library over the past couple of weeks, I'll get to work seeing what it will take to down-grade it to V3. Rockin' Banana!

The scripts are all portable, so it's not impossible: I'd have to re-create everything (remap the samples, import the scripts, etc) and re-creating the preset patches would not be trivial and most likely not doable, but I could definitely get a K3 version with just the scripted core patches out in the near future.

endmusik

but this does make me wish that there was a simple "downgrade" option in the audio software file saving world - there have been downsave options in graphics programs like Illustrator for a long time.... how much has the engine really changed that it can't offer something like that?

slovo

Ah! Well, sorry, I misunderstood. I didn't realize K4 had fancy new scripting stuff. I'll have to think, I mean, I could pay a few hundred bucks for K4, or I could spend that money on Metasonix modules... wink I can't say you should do all that work just for me. I can just buy it in like a year or two. I'll maybe even have room in the budget for it by that time (I was excited about this, but it really is poor timing for me budgetwise)...

endmusik

I don't think the scripting is incompatible - I worked with someone on the scripts and I believe he did the final versions on kontakt 3 so I can probably move it with a bit of work - nothing impossible but it won't happen for a bit w00t

bar|none

@endmusik

Loaded everything up this morning. I recently got Kontakt 4 mainly cause I needed some sampled instrument capability for my eigenharp. I also sample my modular but generally generate .exs or soundfonts that are full printed sounds usually.

Played with some of the sounds and they are wicked. Very easy to get a huge range of wonderful wretchedness. Also sounding so very analog which is obviously the point.

Once of the thoughts that came to mind is this stuff would be amazing loaded into my Spectralis for example as raw analog clay so to speak.

It's interesting the approach you took. Looking at the samples themselves, they seem to be mainly raw waveforms rather than full printed sounds. Is this correct? The actual sample patches are scripted in NI using these raw building blocks?

So is it right to say that the raw waveforms are meant to give the character of the wretch's oscillators and tube waveforms but be used as building block for Kontakt's sound engine to manipulate via envelopes, filters, layering applied by the sample engine itself?

I ask this because I'm very interested in this approach and also because I have a lot to learn about building sample sets.

endmusik

Bingo nanners

That's exactly the point - full on, raw, non-printed waveforms, each key for 5 octaves, for all of the waveforms of both of the oscillators. At it's core this acts like a raw oscillator bank.

Once those oscillators are there, then the Kontakt engine provides the rest: ADSR, Filter, LFO, voice mix, etc. When building the scripts we tried to keep it somewhat straightforward with what was pre-added: it's a selectable multi-mode filter, a multi-lfo and the convolution reverb. Under the hood though, you can do an amazing array of things which I tried to show some of with the presets: portamento controls, additional vowel filtering, delays, etc that all push the raw sound further.

I didn't want to just sample a direct patch of the machine - it' would be limiting in a way. Not that that methodology isn't interesting, I plan on doing printed sample sets down the road. But in this instance, it really does work well grin

endmusik

Also - RE: loading it into the Spectralis -

YES!!!!!

I've loaded these samples into the Blofeld, into a Machinedrum UW, etc - just because it ships with a Kontakt patch doesn't mean that's the only way to use it wink

bar|none

That's seriously a great idea, especially for your first sample bank since first you release the clay, then you start releasing the sculptures.

I'm definitely throwing this shit into KYMA Rockin' Banana!
And Specki.

As you release more sets, I could see having stuff move up the chain and be printed with Wretch filters and envelopes as well. Limits you but also adds more wretch.

Anyway congrats!

Spreading the word....

zerosum

w00t

What a truly awesome release this is! applause Clap Wow!

Now anytime someone wants to hear what exactly a Wretch Machine sounds like they can! thumbs up Not only that but they can use this amazing work to incorporate into their own music as well.
Instead of searching the internet for demos that others have created using the Wretch Machine, they can load direct uncompressed samples into their sampler of choice and see/hear for themselves the raw power of the Wretch Machine oscillator section! thumbs up

Very nice work Mike! You have made the music world a better place! applause
There aren't enough words!

endmusik

UPDATE: Development is now underway to port this over to Kontakt 3.5, I will try to get this turned around within the next week. Once it's "officially" downgraded I'll post more info and email buyers/etc if they'd like the new downgraded sets. grin

I will continue this periodic downgrade cycle until I am shipping this library on wax cylinder. I expect the Wax Cylinder library conversion to happen by sometime around Christmas. Note that this will not be a free crossgrade/downgrade for existing customers. No idea on cost yet, as I have no freaking clue what it would take to do this, but I'll figure it out Rasta-nana

endmusik

And the award for most awesome blog aggregator post about the library goes to these guys:

http://beatsandstuff.com/polyphonic-wretch-machine-samples

It looks like they translated from the Wire to the ear blog, into one language, then another, then another, then back to english to give us:

Quote:
Totalmusik is a NY income cloth for Metasonix and Eowave gear. They seems to also achievement the equipment and attain distribution libraries with the blessings of the manufacturers. They hit free a Kontakt Polyphonic Wretch Machine distribution pack. The samples were transcribed to enter and they also included whatever Impulse Responses. The arrange is 2GB and module separate you $65. It’s on understanding today for $50.

“For this library, no tending to discourse was spared in capturing the genuine gist of this instrument. The Wretch Machine features a threefold gas-tube oscillator plan – apiece oscillator is switchable between threesome waveforms: Saw, Squarer and Subosc (squarer with suboctave). Realizing that everything sounds meliorate finished tape, and our individualized belief that “Old is Good, Old and Broken is BetterTM” – we enlisted the resource of our TEAC Reel to Reel to appendage our enter designate needs.” – totalmusik.com

If I knew that I was making a library that would include Threesome waveforms, I would have charged more! That's EXCITING!

OK, back to transcribing to enter.

Lama

So, you got a "income cloth", that sounds handy.

Kent

a.k.a. "Jizz Rag"

Lama

applause

Kent wrote:
a.k.a. "Jizz Rag"

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Totalmusik Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2