MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel reverb: merely reduces volume?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel reverb: merely reduces volume?
sandettie
The reverb on my new Music Easel seems to only make the audio output more quiet; at full CW, it silences it altogether. Moreover, I can't hear any reverb effect at any point while turning the pot.

Is this normal for the Easel reverb?
brandon daniel
sandettie wrote:
The reverb on my new Music Easel seems to only make the audio output more quiet; at full CW, it silences it altogether. Moreover, I can't hear any reverb effect at any point while turning the pot.

Is this normal for the Easel reverb?


The reverb knob is a wet/dry config. The behavior you describe is consistent with a reverb that's not putting any sound through.
Don T
sandettie wrote:
The reverb on my new Music Easel seems to only make the audio output more quiet; at full CW, it silences it altogether. Moreover, I can't hear any reverb effect at any point while turning the pot.

Is this normal for the Easel reverb?


No, not normal. It means your reverb is not working at all for some reason. The reverb control is actually a crossfader from the main out to the reverb out.

[EDIT]: This is yet another time I have replied at almost exactly the same time as someone else. screaming goo yo
confusedmachine
My reverb works well, but there's an very audible dip in volume as it moves through the range. At full CW, it's full reverb, but perhaps only 60% as "loud"
shorelick
I had the exact same issue with my new easel. BEMI sent me a new reverb which are installed. However, it wasn't an easy installation and I recommend that you work with somebody who is familiar with soldering and wiring.
stoke175
Don T wrote:
sandettie wrote:
The reverb on my new Music Easel seems to only make the audio output more quiet; at full CW, it silences it altogether. Moreover, I can't hear any reverb effect at any point while turning the pot.

Is this normal for the Easel reverb?


No, not normal. It means your reverb is not working at all for some reason. The reverb control is actually a crossfader from the main out to the reverb out.

[EDIT]: This is yet another time I have replied at almost exactly the same time as someone else. screaming goo yo


I'm on reverb no3

very annoying - I'm loathed to bother, i'd rather hack it and create another mixable input
TMortigan
See, I have this same issue on my Easel. I never use the reverb, as I prefer my Blue Sky pedal, but every time I have always tried to use the reverb built into the Easel, the sound cuts out dramatically. Is this something that will get worse over time as far as overall usage of the Easel or just a flaw I can live without? Because I wish all Easels had Strymon settings built in smile
vgermuse
TMortigan wrote:
See, I have this same issue on my Easel. I never use the reverb, as I prefer my Blue Sky pedal, but every time I have always tried to use the reverb built into the Easel, the sound cuts out dramatically. Is this something that will get worse over time as far as overall usage of the Easel or just a flaw I can live without? Because I wish all Easels had Strymon settings built in smile


When adding spring reverb there is a dramatic reduction in audio volume going from Dry/Direct to Wet/Saturated.

I often use the Reverb knob as another compositional tool, thinking of it as a combined Volume/Timbre knob. Yep, its a workaround.



[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/309990515" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

w00t
3001
my current easel seems to be fine with volume levels.

I feel like over the few easels I've had, the reverbs sounded different between them.

One of them, the reverb was definitely broken, apparently some design flaw where when shipped if they bump around too much it disconnects the fragile connector on the easel?

I was told that this problem was corrected in the new versions? is yours one of the ones with the card slot on the side?
vgermuse
3001 wrote:
my current easel seems to be fine with volume levels.

I was told that this problem was corrected in the new versions? is yours one of the ones with the card slot on the side?


Hmmm...I'm not aware of a card slot on the side of my Easel. My Easel is basically years old. Thanks for info!
3001
vgermuse wrote:
3001 wrote:
my current easel seems to be fine with volume levels.

I was told that this problem was corrected in the new versions? is yours one of the ones with the card slot on the side?


Hmmm...I'm not aware of a card slot on the side of my Easel. My Easel is basically years old. Thanks for info!


I think I meant of the poster's! I was told my easel had some repairs done to the reverb, so its a "newer" reverb, but it is one of the early easels(still has that hard to get part that BEMI substituted).
sandettie
Quote:
is yours one of the ones with the card slot on the side?


Interesting, there is a card-looking slot, with visible gold "teeth" to contact a card, right under the Ground jack.
musicalfungus
My brand new Easel has this same card slot. I have no idea what it is for.
vgermuse
musicalfungus wrote:
My brand new Easel has this same card slot. I have no idea what it is for.


I'm guessing it is like the slot on the LEM keyboard which is labeled "fw" for firmware updating via this card:
https://buchla.com/product/200e-usb-utility-card/
zzelig
Does anyone know what type of reverb potentiometer the BEMI Music Easel uses (i.e. logarithmic or linear)?
On mine the mix between dry and wet only seems to start to happen when I'm above "6", and the majority of the mix occurs on the last 1/3 of the pot's sweep, also with the volume decrease. Is this normal?
christie
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd say most people have the opposite of your experience, i.e. The reverb comes in too quickly and fully early in the knob rotation. People do mods to counter this, in fact. (I did, but reverted to original after a while)

So perhaps a change has been made?
zzelig
christie wrote:
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd say most people have the opposite of your experience, i.e. The reverb comes in too quickly and fully early in the knob rotation. People do mods to counter this, in fact. (I did, but reverted to original after a while)

So perhaps a change has been made?


Thanks for the info. I got this second hand but the previous owner said he purchased this new in October 2017.
CliffordMilk
I’ve had the same issue and needed to replace the tank. I suggest contacting Buchla.
Nicken85
answered to fast. ignore this comment smile
eveldave
I had the same issue with my 2019 BUSA.

One of the wires off the reverb had snapped and needed to be re-soldered to the board.

Other users have reported the springs jumping off during transit.

You need to pop it open and give it a good inspection, if you haven't done so already.

There's a Todd video to help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ObB3MKJMz8
01235813
vgermuse wrote:
When adding spring reverb there is a dramatic reduction in audio volume going from Dry/Direct to Wet/Saturated


hihi

zzelig
I've emailed BUSA regarding my issue with the reverb mix knob. Seems like all the wires inside the Easel are intact.
In the meantime, would it benefit the reverb's functionality to remove the foam pads on the reverb tank?
lumin
zzelig wrote:
I've emailed BUSA regarding my issue with the reverb mix knob. Seems like all the wires inside the Easel are intact.
In the meantime, would it benefit the reverb's functionality to remove the foam pads on the reverb tank?


No that wouldn't be the cause of your issue unless it was restricting the vibrating of the tank.
You could test this by taking the 208 out of the case, prop it up, and run some audio, ie oscillator, through the reverb. If you hear the reverb working normally, then something is restricting the tank in the case. If its the same, then chances are your tank is broken. It happens.
zzelig
lumin wrote:
zzelig wrote:
I've emailed BUSA regarding my issue with the reverb mix knob. Seems like all the wires inside the Easel are intact.
In the meantime, would it benefit the reverb's functionality to remove the foam pads on the reverb tank?


No that wouldn't be the cause of your issue unless it was restricting the vibrating of the tank.
You could test this by taking the 208 out of the case, prop it up, and run some audio, ie oscillator, through the reverb. If you hear the reverb working normally, then something is restricting the tank in the case. If its the same, then chances are your tank is broken. It happens.


Good idea. I'll test this out. Thanks.
zzelig
In case anyone is experiencing the same issue as me, I spoke with BUSA. They said they've seen this before and it's most likely an incorrect potentiometer taper for the reverb mix knob (logarithmic). They are sending me a correct linear taper pot.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group