new livewire AFG 2.0

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

thewizmusic
Common Wiggler

new livewire AFG 2.0

Post by thewizmusic » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Hey Guys I just picked up the new AFG 2.0 been on a waitlist forever.

Finally got one!! I pulled it out of the box and was looking for the cable...which was attached...dont know why I didn't notice lol but good thing I did because they have soldered on resistors onto the smd's and one came off. They are kind of sticking up in the air.

Normally companies don't leave extra parts just lying in the box so I took a look at the base power board really closely and noticed the solder didn't look so clean on A92....seemed like the only viable option so I soldered it back on....everything seems to sound like the demo but was curious if someone could attach a picture or confirm there is a tan resistor on A92?

Seems like a stupid thing to send back for when the part isn't damaged and can be easily reattached.

Thanks in advanced

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:29 pm

weird.

was it a resistor piggy backed onto another resistor?

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:12 pm

I can't believe I've never owned one of these. The demos are just incredible and the expanders for attaching 2 look :bananaguitar:

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Dogma wrote:the expanders for attaching 2 look :bananaguitar:
were those ever made? i think there's plans to make it right?

thewizmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by thewizmusic » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Ya looks like they are Piggy backed! Hope someone has purchased one recently that can verify.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:11 am

thewizmusic wrote:Ya looks like they are Piggy backed! Hope someone has purchased one recently that can verify.
i'm guessing the wrong value resistor was loaded in the feeder when the boards were run. then instead of blowing off (desoldering) the wrong one and putting on the right one they just piggy backed another resistor onto it to make it the right value. :despair:

at least that's what it sounds like to me and what another user who has a new one told me.

i've no experience in building stuff but i think doing stuff like that isn't uncommon to revise/fix little things like that.

thewizmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by thewizmusic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:38 am

Ya I am not worried so much about the piggy back part of it. I just want to make sure the one that came off...well....that I put it back where it should go. Really wish someone who has the new one can tell me if it goes on A92

Clive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Clive » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am

If you bought it new, why not contact the manufacturer, if need be via the dealer?

thewizmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by thewizmusic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Because they will want to RMA it and I do not want to wait forever for a simple fixable issue. Just need to make sure it's right.

ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:30 pm

I highly doubt they'd want to RMA it if you explained your situation and wanted to confirm the resistor was soldered back into the location it's supposed to be?

ilya.n
Common Wiggler

Post by ilya.n » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Yeah, the through-hole resistors are slapped on top of smd resistors in a few places :confused:

Take a look at this photo, maybe it will help you as a reference.
Please let me know if you need more close up pictures.

ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Good god, I thought there was 1 or 2, not 8!

That's pretty shoddy stuff!

RealDudes
Lives in a Dudeplex

Post by RealDudes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:00 pm

That's some truly heinous kludge work right there
I would send back and ask for one that isn't guaranteed to incur near permanent damage at some point.
the most important track you'll ever make is the next
https://soundcloud.com/doom_asylum
https://soundcloud.com/wade_blazer

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Only 1 power header? Any more pics?
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

RealDudes
Lives in a Dudeplex

Post by RealDudes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 pm

I imagine if one of those thru holes gets tugged it could take the pad with it and possibly be irreparable beyond just getting a whole new pcb
the most important track you'll ever make is the next
https://soundcloud.com/doom_asylum
https://soundcloud.com/wade_blazer

ilya.n
Common Wiggler

Post by ilya.n » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:43 pm

authorless wrote:Only 1 power header? Any more pics?
Yep, "only" one :) Do you want a front panel picture? Or side?

Btw the thru-hole resistors seem to be soldered well, not flimsy.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:24 pm

ilya.n wrote:

The original has two power headers. Looks like there is some normaling between some of the CV inputs on the new one too? I should check to see if that is the case with the original, but I don't think it is.

Side and back would be cool. There are pics of the panel on their website. Thanks.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:28 pm

I would think that it would be easier to just change out the smd resistors by hand? It is much easier to de-solder than through-hole.

Apola Kipso
Common Wiggler

Post by Apola Kipso » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:40 pm

RealDudes wrote:That's some truly heinous kludge work right there
I would send back and ask for one that isn't guaranteed to incur near permanent damage at some point.
True. I just got mine, same thing as mentioned above.
I don't mind the fix, what I do mind is bringing back the most iconic module in Eurorack history, messing it up and not saying anything.

A simple note would've sufficed. "Sorry, bit of a mixup, we fixed it, rest assured we'll take care of it should you experience any problems". There, took me 5 seconds to write, another 5 minutes to print a bunch of copies and stick them in the box, everyone knows what's what, done.

But no mention anywhere, and that does indeed suck. That I don't understand :despair:

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:32 pm

windspirit wrote:I would think that it would be easier to just change out the smd resistors by hand? It is much easier to de-solder than through-hole.
My thoughts exactly. 30 second job. This is what it looks like if you are diy-ing something and cant find the right resistor, not something I would expect to see on a manufactured unit.

thewizmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by thewizmusic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:54 pm

thank you for the picture sorry for the delay in response I did end up getting in contact and confirmed the spot was right just my eyes were off and I thought it was an A and not an R92

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 pm

authorless wrote:
ilya.n wrote:

The original has two power headers. Looks like there is some normaling between some of the CV inputs on the new one too? I should check to see if that is the case with the original, but I don't think it is.

Side and back would be cool. There are pics of the panel on their website. Thanks.
:youkids: you kids and yer newfangled modules! In my day we needed a whole bussboard just to power half an AFG :party:

Drakhe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drakhe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Same thing happened to my AFG v2. It's working as intended now, and sounds great I must admit, but on the scope I see a glitch in the signall that seems to happen at the start of the wave cycle, almost like there's some internal syncing or resetting going on. It doesn't seem to affect the sound at all though. Maybe this is caused by the twisted trimpot? On my AFG, the boxed trimpot nearest the edge is twisted about 20°-30°. All three legs still attached and the part feels firm even in it's twisted position.

So in anycas, love the AFG, as I said, even with all the garbage at the back, it's working as intended and sound absolutly fantastic!

I am sorely saddened though at the state the new device arrived. As was posted before, 1 or 2 correcting kludges is fine, but 8? And broken off at that? Also, great idea to go surface mount (cheaper, easier to produce, smaller PCB's etc) but do please keep in mind dear designers that the trimpots will be sticking out , begging to be bended, twisted or snapped off!!!

demangone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by demangone » Tue May 30, 2017 6:21 pm

What are the differences between versions and revisions of the AFG?

XAXAU
Common Wiggler

Post by XAXAU » Wed May 31, 2017 5:43 am

Talked to Livwire and the through hole piggyback thingy only happened for the first 100 units or so, everything after April has the correct values on the R's.

Oh and...

X-Mod and Flux Capacitor are going to happen. No dates yet!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”