MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deckard's Dream
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Deckard's Dream
Sir Ruff
This looks great. And I suppose the one very good thing about DIY is that it would be easy to adjust the envelope attack time from their ridiculously short 1 sec. max attack to something more flexible.
fuzzbass
drip.feed wrote:
It *will* be DIY. And it will have poly aftertouch.

Aren't keyboards the transmit poly aftertouch as rare as hen's teeth? I used to have an Ensoniq VFX that did it, but I think it, like my VFX, has gone away.
tron23
eek! I have a CS60 and previously owned a CS80 that went faulty and noone could repair over here. This is the dream for me, hope it turns out to sound that good, presets alone are worth it let alone the space issues. Guinness ftw!
drip.feed
fuzzbass wrote:
drip.feed wrote:
It *will* be DIY. And it will have poly aftertouch.

Aren't keyboards the transmit poly aftertouch as rare as hen's teeth? I used to have an Ensoniq VFX that did it, but I think it, like my VFX, has gone away.

Yes, but things like the Roli are popular now. And it would respond over midi to, I suppose.
ImNotDedYet
Acquadar wrote:
Came on guys, have you ever see a CS80 internal pictures? it is so complicated, it has kilometers of cables, ribbons, how that can be true???

SMD for smaller components, more room on the board for things like headers to connect boards and less wiring/cable required.
drip.feed
ImNotDedYet wrote:
Acquadar wrote:
Came on guys, have you ever see a CS80 internal pictures? it is so complicated, it has kilometers of cables, ribbons, how that can be true???

SMD for smaller components, more room on the board for things like headers to connect boards and less wiring/cable required.

Almost certainly very little wiring inside this thing. Like the TTSH. A big pcb behind the panel to host all the sliders and switches, then a series of plug-in daughter boards for all the voices etc. The midi and USB sockets will probably be on daughter boards too.
ModusOp
MY ASS IS BLEEDING Now watching!! When, Where, and How much?!?!
muffdiver
So amazing! Can't wait for the details....

Any one have an idea of what the USB port is for?
Man-In-A-Suitcase
hmm no ring modulation controls, what a cop out!
GryphonP3
Things gave gotten much more efficient in the electronics world since the CS80 was originally developed. Miles of ribbons and thousands of lare package transistors can easily be replaced by pin headers/vias and SMT conponents. Components that do the exact same thing with the exact same tolerences, biases, and variation. The myth of SMT vs thru hole being a major difference in sound has (IMO) been debunked through many amazing sounding circuits and clones that we have been lucky enougj to see in the past few years, so long as the engineerig is good and meticulously follows the behavior and ideology of the original circuit design.

Anyway, this is very exciting. Hope it is not very overpriced for the DIY version, and hope that those enclosures will be available for it as well. Good to see more full DIY synths becoming available and not just messes of eurorack clones.
fuzzbass
GryphonP3 wrote:
The myth of SMT vs thru hole being a major difference in sound ...

... is that the actual device inside the through hole package is different than the one in the smd package. 99% of the time, its the same little thing. Packaging is the only difference, but seems to be enough to convince the tweaks.

These caps sound warm because they look like little tropical fish. razz
Michael O.
If this thing has even 75% of the sound of a CS80 without the maintenance nightmares then I'm in. And judging by the designer, It'll probably sound excellent
rico loverde
from Matrix synth via Roman:

"It will be 999 kit, for 12 pcbs with MCU and 72 dacs preinstalled. Built will be 5k."

The MCU is the "multi control unit" - the controls on the panel have to control all eight voices at the same time.

You might notice the lack of basic CV and Gate on back. However, you might notice the "Expander" jack. Roman tells me he is thinking about making a complex CV expander unit for it. Complex implies more than basic CV and Gate. This will likely be a patchable CS80 in the end.

Note this is analog and it is eight voices. Roman cloned the original Buchla Music Easel, which many in the know, say is closer to the original than the BEMI Easel. Roman knows his stuff, so this is likely to be as close as it gets to the original in sound. Of course part of the charm of a CS80 is the expressive keyboard including poly aftertouch and what can be argued as slightly more ergonomic controls, mainly the levers used for expressive control. That said, the original does lack CV, and of course, is quite a bit more expensive.
Sir Ruff
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
hmm no ring modulation controls, what a cop out!

Yeah, that's kind of a strange feature to omit.
muffdiver
I guess the next question is - ETA?
rowsbywoof
If this is really going to be a $999 kit, I am going to be firmly in the camp of having to justify not building one. That's incredible.
ModusOp
"Built will be 5k." Dead Banana I'm out.
retrosynth
https://www.instagram.com/sputnikmodular/

Here's the the guy that does it.
medbot
rowsbywoof wrote:
If this is really going to be a $999 kit, I am going to be firmly in the camp of having to justify not building one. That's incredible.

Not a full kit, if that's what you were thinking. It will be interesting to see how much the BOM and parts cost, especially given the $5,000 price for a built model. Also noticed that the enclosure and panel weren't included in that kit price, but that might have just been an oversight.
anselmi
ModusOp wrote:
"Built will be 5k." Dead Banana I'm out.

sad banana cry waah
Acquadar
You can always sample Blade Runner with a Morphagene Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
casterbro
Could get one but a bit afraid of buying one immediately from Roman... Easel V1 was cool but program cards didn't work. Roman is saying it will be fixed one of these days but it seems it won't be done. It's probably better to wait for a second batch or the V2 hmmm.....
So bad, I really want one of these zombie
rowsbywoof
medbot wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:

Not a full kit, if that's what you were thinking. It will be interesting to see how much the BOM and parts cost, especially given the $5,000 price for a built model. Also noticed that the enclosure and panel weren't included in that kit price, but that might have just been an oversight.

I figured as much, either way grin I'm definitely interested, but it will all come down to price and the complexity of the build. Would be a fun project, though, and man... What a cool thing to build.
NS4W
All surface mount?
doombient.music
Hmmm... I can't see much point in a CS80 clone which lacks the ringmodulator section and the keyboard -- which makes the CS80 what it is.

On the other hand, most keyboard players don't seem to be in need of a proper keyboard these days. I should be viewing this positively and admit it's perhaps an affordable option to get this type of character into a keyboard rig.

Stephen
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 2 of 32