MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deckard's Dream
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Deckard's Dream
TheMM
Holy shit, if this could only be eurorack format....
Waiting for the price tag.
It's peanut butter jelly time!
drip.feed
Sir Ruff wrote:
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
hmm no ring modulation controls, what a cop out!

Yeah, that's kind of a strange feature to omit.

There will be a ring modulator. It is planned for a 1U expander module that will also provide chorus (and echo too, I think).
SynthBaron
TheMM wrote:

What would be the point of that?
SynthBaron
Honestly, having owned a CS-50, the unique keyboard aftertouch really made that synth into something special. I think the music world needs a currently produced keyboard controller with the same type of easily expressive aftertouch first. Everything out there now is shit.
SynthBaron
Sir Ruff wrote:
Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:
hmm no ring modulation controls, what a cop out!

Yeah, that's kind of a strange feature to omit.

If you haven't used a CS-50/60/80, then you might not realize how much that feature contributes to the sound of that synth. I thought it was kind of a weird thing to have on a polysynth, until I used it...
TheMM
SynthBaron wrote:
TheMM wrote:

What would be the point of that?

It would eliminate the need for an extra rack to fit my current setup...
phase ghost
NS4W wrote:
All surface mount?

That's what I'm wondering. If not, I could be down for a kit.
drip.feed
phase ghost wrote:
NS4W wrote:
All surface mount?

It's a mixture. The voice cards are through-hole.
SynthBaron
drip.feed wrote:
phase ghost wrote:
NS4W wrote:
All surface mount?

I'm surprised the assembled price isn't more then.
drip.feed
I've heard a rough guesstimate of $2k for all the pcbs, panel and components (that you source yourself). So $5k for a commercial build does seem like reasonable value.
SynthBaron
That aftertouch and ring mod, sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoEkyBX7qsg
Now and Zen
drip.feed wrote:
phase ghost wrote:
NS4W wrote:
All surface mount?

I wouldn't be too surprised if there were two versions of the voice cards, a through hole variant for DIY and an SMD board for the fully built version - that route involves a bit more design work but it would make manufacturing much faster and cheaper...
dreamdreamdream
Now and Zen wrote:
drip.feed wrote:
phase ghost wrote:
NS4W wrote:
All surface mount?

I wouldn't be too surprised if there were two versions of the voice cards, a through hole variant for DIY and an SMD board for the fully built version - that route involves a bit more design work but it would make manufacturing much faster and cheaper...

I'd honestly rather have a diy smt version than through hole depending on the size of the smt components. It's sort of tricky, the best smt setup for assembly might be too tricky for home smt, and 3 separate versions is probably asking too much.

Even though I haven't done any real smt yet, for something this size and that costs this much I think I'd rather go at it with a stencil and solder paste and a reflow oven.

Especially if the voice cards all end up being the same layout. That means you'd only need one stencil for all of them.
roman_f
answering some questions:

- it will be DIY, build units will be offered as well
- full midi support and presets
- autotune
- MPE mostly (still need to dig it)
- VSTi editor by Spektro Audio
- 2 units may be chained for 16 voice system
- 1u expansion module following the main unit, with analogue effects, assignable CV/GATE inputs and desktop ribbon controller (will connect to the expander via cable)
first demos in a week, preorder hopefully in a month, shipping 8 weeks after

roman
ultravox
Really amazing work, Roman! I'll take one DIY kit + expansion module once it's ready. I have a friend on gearslutz that expressed interest so I might be building two...

Exciting times for musicians!
Kazremark
Looks amazing. Where will we be able to pre-order?
visible cow
I'm desperately trying to think of ways to raise funds for one of these. I really wish I had the necessary DIY skills.
diophantine
roman_f wrote:
answering some questions:

- it will be DIY, build units will be offered as well
- full midi support and presets
- autotune
- MPE mostly (still need to dig it)
- VSTi editor by Spektro Audio
- 2 units may be chained for 16 voice system
- 1u expansion module following the main unit, with analogue effects, assignable CV/GATE inputs and desktop ribbon controller (will connect to the expander via cable)
first demos in a week, preorder hopefully in a month, shipping 8 weeks after

roman

Wonderful news - thanks for these details, Roman! Definitely planning to get one of these... I'd been tempted to get a CS-60 for a while, but I have nowhere to put one! So this is amazing...

I have a couple of quick questions, if you don't mind - I'm sure others are curious, too:
- Looks like this is pretty shallow, based on the renders. What's the approx. depth?
- Will the kits require a lot of SMD soldering, or will they like be some of your previous projects where it is a mix of pre-soldered SMD and DIY through-hole?
REwire
A CS-60 is still less than half of what this is. Each of a CS80's voices has 2 oscs and 2 LP and 2 HP filters. Not to mention the extra EQ each layer has in the brilliance control.

I'm waiting for an answer if the kits are SMD or Thru Hole to figure if I'd be tempted to build it.

Dan
diophantine
REwire wrote:
A CS-60 is still less than half of what this is. Each of a CS80's voices has 2 oscs and 2 LP and 2 HP filters. Not to mention the extra EQ each layer has in the brilliance control.

Yup - I didn't intend to imply that they were at all the same; just that the CS-60 was the closest thing that I could conceivably afford that would be even close to a CS-80.
REwire
I thought that about the CS-50, which was cheap and pretty much same sound as CS-60. It was just too thin with the one osc per voice. I actually has two at one time to fix defects in the other. If they could have been midi'd and played at the same time, that would have been a real CS-80 sound in less voices.

I think I'd buy this at the full 5K if it has the sound or have a tech build for me that could come out around $3500. You can't get the real thing under 10K. I had a chance to buy a CS-80 for 5K ten yrs ago but was put off by the weight and fear of fixing. A tech told me these had the same tech as Japanese WWII Zeros.

Dan
doombient.music
REwire wrote:
[...] It was just too thin with the one osc per voice. [...]

Hark, hark!

Stephen
Europa313
cs-50 too thin HAHA. It's so fato it shakes my house
I'm not sure they can recreate the incredibly organic sound of the cs50/60/80
doombient.music
That much about being *thin*:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/doombient-music/cs50-improvisation[/s]

Strangely enough, I've never heard people complain about a Jupiter 4 being *thin*. Or an Oberheim Four Voice, for that matter.

Stephen
REwire
doombient.music wrote:
That much about being *thin*:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/doombient-music/cs50-improvisation[/s]

Strangely enough, I've never heard people complain about a Jupiter 4 being *thin*. Or an Oberheim Four Voice, for that matter.

Stephen

Oberheims SEMS have two osc per voice so of course not thin and other one osc synths like Junos and Jupiter 4 have some nice PWM to help and the former's chorus.

The Ring Mod is the best thing on the CS-50/60 and even on that demo that delay helped.

My use of the CS-50 was also helped by a Synthoma Elkorus like in these examples (in first):

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Audio/Demos/CS50_Chorus_01.wav

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Audio/Demos/CS50_09.wav

And back on topic I could not get the CODE 4 with CS-80 filters and its two oscs per voice even get close to the CS-50/60 sound so really hope Deckard's Dream gets it right and then allows the two sets of filters and voices to get really thick brassy sounds like the CS-80 Bladerunner patch,

Dan
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 3 of 32