Deckard's Dream

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Pando
Common Wiggler

Re: MIDI implementation / documentation

Post by Pando » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm

ndf wrote:Does anyone know or have access to the information on the Deckard's Dream MIDI implementation?

I have seen a controller message list posted somewhere, but that does not seem to be a complete listing :/ For example: How to flip in and out of panel mode? How to load or save an entire patch?
Those features aren't implemented via MIDI, as far as I know. What's implemented has been published on the CC controller listing.

http://deckardsdream.com/downloads/DD-M ... REV1.0.pdf

There are two more CC# that are not on this list:
Sustain-I-II switch CC#9
Sustain Slider CC#10

ndf
Common Wiggler

Post by ndf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Pando wrote: There are two more CC# that are not on this list:
Sustain-I-II switch CC#9
Sustain Slider CC#10
Thanks for the update. I'm pretty sure the panel mode switch is in midi somewhere - I'm 57% sure a mellotron M4000 mini will flip the DDRM between bank and panel by moving the A/B mix knob - unfortunately it's not documented either and I don't have one to test :/
I am the problem.

Pando
Common Wiggler

Post by Pando » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:12 pm

ndf wrote:
Pando wrote: There are two more CC# that are not on this list:
Sustain-I-II switch CC#9
Sustain Slider CC#10
Thanks for the update. I'm pretty sure the panel mode switch is in midi somewhere - I'm 57% sure a mellotron M4000 mini will flip the DDRM between bank and panel by moving the A/B mix knob - unfortunately it's not documented either and I don't have one to test :/
Banks and patches can be changed with a standard bank change and program change MIDI commands. But if you discover the Panel <> Bank mode switch, please do let us know :)

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Re: Deckard's Dream

Post by BadPixel » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:25 am

Quick question; does anybody know if the kit that electricmusicstore.com is selling is rev 1 or 2? Been waiting for a reply from them for about a week now :(

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:11 pm

BadPixel wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:25 am
Quick question; does anybody know if the kit that electricmusicstore.com is selling is rev 1 or 2? Been waiting for a reply from them for about a week now :(
I don’t know for sure, but I read somewhere that the Rev 1 prebuilt was only for the initial direct ship from Black Corp. I’d certainly think all the Rev. 1’s would long be gone as I got my prebuilt Rev. 2 over a year ago, but you never know! Good luck!!

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:24 pm

donato wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:11 pm
I don’t know for sure, but I read somewhere that the Rev 1 prebuilt was only for the initial direct ship from Black Corp. I’d certainly think all the Rev. 1’s would long be gone as I got my prebuilt Rev. 2 over a year ago, but you never know! Good luck!!
Makes sense. Thank you :)

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:15 am

Just got a reply from them and the boards say 1.0. They’ve got them at 40% discount atm. Worth a go or should I aim for a rev 2 instead? :despair:

logicgate
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by logicgate » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:19 am

I can´t even believe that this synth is from the same company that made the poly kobol clone, which sounds so good... This one here sounds worst than cheap VST.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:21 pm

Well, ok. We're all entitled to our opinions. Apparently I'm not very familiar with cheap VST's.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

DesolationBlvd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DesolationBlvd » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Trying to figure out if Deckard's Dream is right for me for my big late-2020 purchase. Among my polys, it would join an OB-8 and JP-8, and be controlled by an SQ-80. I'm debating bumping this ahead of the Prophet-6 on my GAS list (SQ-80 and OB-8 get me some of the Prophet sounds). What draws me to Deckard's Dream is the CS filter (with sweepable high-pass) and voice structure, combined with the fact that I have a polyphonic aftertouch keyboard to play it with.

How different is the CS LPF from the JP-8 12dB mode when the HPF is set to zero? From my experience with JP-8 and from CS80/DDRM demos, I get a similar "acoustic" quality.

Also, how essential is the ring mod to the CS80 vibe, and how hard/time-consuming is it to build the expander? The biggest DIY project I've done is assembling a Turbo Rat clone.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:33 am

sduck wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:21 pm
Well, ok. We're all entitled to our opinions. Apparently I'm not very familiar with cheap VST's.
What he means is that it does not sound like a CS-80,and this is not an opinion but a fact.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:44 am

DesolationBlvd wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:35 pm
[…] Also, how essential is the ring mod to the CS80 vibe […]
Not sure whether you really need to have anything like a CS80 if you have to ask *this* particular question…

Not really sure whether the designers of the DD actually understood how integral the ring modulator is to the character of the CS80 at all...

The DD certainly is a decent polysynth in a handy format (sort of), and it does have its qualities -- as long as you don't consider (or expect) it to be a replacement for a CS80, that is.

Stephen

DesolationBlvd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DesolationBlvd » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:07 am

doombient.music wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:44 am
The DD certainly is a decent polysynth in a handy format (sort of), and it does have its qualities -- as long as you don't consider (or expect) it to be a replacement for a CS80, that is.
I had the impression Deckard's Dream was to the CS80 what the Prophet-6 was to the pre-Curtis Prophet-5 - inspired by the original and hopefully close enough for some, while having modern MIDI capabilities. Is DD really that far off?

I was just looking for a poly with both a multimode filter and a vintage flavor I do not already have covered. I figured DD would have less overlap with what I have than Xerxes would with its Curtis filter.

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:36 am

tobb wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:33 am
sduck wrote:
What he means is that it does not sound like a CS-80,and this is not an opinion but a fact.
It doesn't, that's true. But that has nothing to do with what he said.

Ockeghem
missa propecia

Post by Ockeghem » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:28 pm

Blame it on internet file compression? :hyper: :hihi:
I would still like to buy one but I have TMS (too many somethings)
My mouth laughs, but my heart weeps...

BadPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by BadPixel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:00 pm

I can't say if it sounds like the CS-80 or not. I'm not pro enough to get into the technical details... delving into if it tastes latte or cappuccino :despair:
I like how it sounds...period. I was really set on picking up the panel and PCB's but got side railed by a decently discounted TTSH kit :mrgreen: so DD will have to wait (or maybe even get replaced by a BS-80, depending on how it plays :hmm: ).

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:45 pm

sduck wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:36 am
tobb wrote:
sduck wrote:
What he does mean is that it sounds not better then this:

sduck

Post by sduck » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:12 pm

tobb wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:45 pm
sduck wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:36 am
tobb wrote:
sduck wrote:
(some video examples)
Somewhat agree, at least about the arturia one, but not that last one. The arturia isn't what I'd call a cheap vst, although it is definitely cheaper than the DDRM. But again, it's software, with it's built in limited shelf life, while presumably the DDRM's of the world will all still be working in 20 years. But then we start getting into the whole in the box versus the out of the box arguments, and that's really up to the user.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:01 am

sduck wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:12 pm
(some video examples)

Somewhat agree, at least about the arturia one, but not that last one.
The difference is just due to the use of (too much) widening stereo fx in te Arturia demo,so this give a less vintage feel.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:44 pm

iT doN’t SouNnd eXackTLy LikE tHa Cs80 DeRrRRr.

This tired argument again? No, it doesn’t sound exactly like a CS80- at all...and it was never claimed to be that. The developer said from the get-go that would be impossible given modern available parts and that it’s NOT a clone or replica. What it DOES share is a common layout and some basic inspiration from the CS80. It sounds gorgeous in my opinion and is its own synth. Listen to demos. Check it out with MPE or poly aftertouch. Using it with a Linnstrument for me is sublime. If it’s not for you then move on, but don’t bring that petty CS80 troll post shit in here.

skunk_hour
Common Wiggler

Post by skunk_hour » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Yeah, none of those VST demos have any depth to them--what you're hearing is Lexicon-like reverb more than anything. I'm not crazy about the Deckard's Dream, but the demos I've heard of it have sounded a lot more interesting to me.

For me, not $3000 interesting, though.
soundcloud.com/skunk-hour

Pando
Common Wiggler

Post by Pando » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Even Xerxes can do a better blade runner than any of the CS80 VSTs.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:55 am

Pando wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:29 pm
Even Xerxes can do a better blade runner than any of the CS80 VSTs.
'Beter',its all subjective,one thing is certain, in a mix depending how the sound is processed you can't most of the time deduct if a vsti or hardware synth has been used.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:16 am

DesolationBlvd wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:07 am
doombient.music wrote:
I had the impression Deckard's Dream was to the CS80 what the Prophet-6 was to the pre-Curtis Prophet-5 - inspired by the original and hopefully close enough for some, while having modern MIDI capabilities. Is DD really that far off? […]
Its engine is close enough to the CS80's to make people expect more than they should -- it's not the sound engine of the CS80 that makes the CS80 stand out from the crowd, it's its user interface and the way it turns the CS80 into an instrument.

The mere fact that the ring modulator comes as an addendum and is mounted in an awkward way is miles away from the way you would interact with the CS80 -- or with a CS50 or CS60, for that matter.

That's only my opinion, of course. I might be wrong.

Stephen

Funch

Post by Funch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:42 pm

doombient.music wrote:
DesolationBlvd wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:35 pm
[…] Also, how essential is the ring mod to the CS80 vibe […]
Not sure whether you really need to have anything like a CS80 if you have to ask *this* particular question…

Not really sure whether the designers of the DD actually understood how integral the ring modulator is to the character of the CS80 at all...

Stephen
how was the ring mod used in the CS80?

Return to “General Gear”