MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Sequencer for iPad?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Best Sequencer for iPad?
skeller047
Hi there Eurorack power users! I've been searching and surfing, and I haven't found a clear answer. What I want to do is run a sequencer on iPad to control my rack. I have a BSP, but while I appreciate it, it is more menu diving than I care for to make a long composition. I'm thinking that one of the good iPad sequencers might be a better option, maybe even Garage Band? But I need a way to get MIDI info out of the iPad and into the modular. So my questions are...

What's the best iPad sequencer for modular use, and why?
What's the best way to interface? MIDI interface and MIDI input module, FH-1, ES-3, .... ?
Is it possible to use a DAW, GB or Cubasis or ... and record audio at the same time as running a sequence?

Ideally what I want is to use my iPad like I use my Mac, when recording my saxophone. But I want to control my 6U rack in a portable way. So please help me, fellow wiggles.
IntervoxOptima
http://www.freshnelly.com/WiFiMIDI/WiFiMIDI.htm
zynapse
Currently liking the endorphin.es shuttle control and the ST-S01

zynapse
Also Numerology for DAW or standalone and there's loads of sequencers in Lemur for iPad

https://liine.net/en/downloads/lemur
skeller047
Thanks guys for the comments. IntervoxOptima, I'm not sure what that WiFiMIDI thing does, wrt iOS. Zynapse, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm looking for something more than yet another step sequencer. I have the BSP for that.

I want something like a DAW sequencer which is why I mentioned Garage Band, but with a more modular "feel" - say, like 16 steps that can be appended to more or less infinitely. And the ability to have four or five independent sequences running together. Maybe I'm just crazy hyper

Are there any other sequencers for iOS that people use? Thanks again.
gein
I think Modstep and Genome are the most advanced midi sequencers in on iOS. Both can trigger midi clips, modstep is the newest of the two. And has the most updates.
TheMM
Wow, the WiFiMiDi looks like the holy grail of iPad integration.
Regarding the sequencer - if you are a Cubase user on the desktop, Cubasis would be the first choice. But if you want a more analog feel you maybe try Little MIDI Machine. Didn't used it by myself, but looks promising...
Doublecoolbossman
Genome is probably my first choice, paired with shuttle control. The new endorphin.es cockpit mixer has also been super useful to me for getting audio in/out of the iPad and as a final mixer.
BaloErets
Lemur is incredible and I couldn't recommend it more for any type of iPad control over your modular.

I use it with Expert Sleeper's ES-3/ES-6 along with Reaktor.

EDIT to add link to Lemur
https://liine.net/en/products/lemur/
mdoudoroff
BaloErets wrote:
Lemur is incredible and I couldn't recommend it more for any type of iPad control over your modular.

How do you get from the iPad to the ES-3? Is there a computer in between?
skeller047
Great tips guys - thank you one and all. Keep them coming!
BaloErets
mdoudoroff wrote:
BaloErets wrote:

Yes indeed there is. I do not know of a solution to run Reaktor without a computer.
Grimulkan
BaloErets wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
BaloErets wrote:

Yes indeed there is. I do not know of a solution to run Reaktor without a computer.

Assuming you don't need to use Reaktor specifically, the new ES-8 is supposed to solve this problem by letting you output CV directly from the iPad. But you can still interface the ES-3 to the iPad too through a class-compliant USB interface with ADAT. I've used the RME Babyface and Scarlett 18i20 with iPads this way. With the new iPad USB-lightning adapter, you can also charge the iPad at the same time.
skeller047 wrote:
Is it possible to use a DAW, GB or Cubasis or ... and record audio at the same time as running a sequence?

Auria & Cubasis on the iPad are fully featured DAWs and can play MIDI while recording audio at the same time. But no clip launching/looping.
Modstep is probably the best featured sequencer and sounds closest to what the OP is asking for I think.
skeller047
Grimulkan wrote:
BaloErets wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
BaloErets wrote:

Assuming you don't need to use Reaktor specifically, the new ES-8 is supposed to solve this problem by letting you output CV directly from the iPad. But you can still interface the ES-3 to the iPad too through a class-compliant USB interface with ADAT. I've used the RME Babyface and Scarlett 18i20 with iPads this way. With the new iPad USB-lightning adapter, you can also charge the iPad at the same time.
skeller047 wrote:

Auria & Cubasis on the iPad are fully featured DAWs and can play MIDI while recording audio at the same time. But no clip launching/looping.
Modstep is probably the best featured sequencer and sounds closest to what the OP is asking for I think.

Thanks Grimulkin. I'm not quite sure WHAT I am looking for. I find it painful, for my 6U rack, to plug the 4 CV outs, plus 2 gate outs, for 2 sequencers, from the BeatStep Pro to their destinations. To say nothing of the drum gates. I move this around a lot, and it just feels clumsy. The sequencers are OK, but I find the CV control limiting compared to a plain old pot. And the song chains are lost on power off.

I like the feel of working 8 or 16 steps at a time, but I want to be able to extend the sequence more than 64 steps. More than 128 even... And I want full voltage granularity - I know that's impossible with MIDI - but that's what I want. Maybe I should think about writing an app... wait ... that's my $DAYJOB, forget it.

Sounds like a full blown audio-MIDI interface is what I need, then I can choose the best way to get MIDI into the rack.

Thanks again folks!
crysis
IntervoxOptima wrote:
http://www.freshnelly.com/WiFiMIDI/WiFiMIDI.htm

Wow! Thanks for that link. Just what I have been looking for. Hope it comes out soon!

To the OP, definitely check out ModStep.
Tenderosa
I think modstep might be what you are looking for as an iOS sequencer. I use the CVpal module in dual monophonic mode to interface with modular. Camera connection kit USB straight out of iPad into cvpal module.
mdoudoroff
skeller047 wrote:

Thanks Grimulkin. I'm not quite sure WHAT I am looking for. I find it painful, for my 6U rack, to plug the 4 CV outs, plus 2 gate outs, for 2 sequencers, from the BeatStep Pro to their destinations. To say nothing of the drum gates. I move this around a lot, and it just feels clumsy. The sequencers are OK, but I find the CV control limiting compared to a plain old pot. And the song chains are lost on power off.

This was my more or less my experience with the BSP and I got rid of it.

skeller047 wrote:
I like the feel of working 8 or 16 steps at a time, but I want to be able to extend the sequence more than 64 steps. More than 128 even... And I want full voltage granularity - I know that's impossible with MIDI - but that's what I want. Maybe I should think about writing an app... wait ... that's my $DAYJOB, forget it.

Sounds like a full blown audio-MIDI interface is what I need, then I can choose the best way to get MIDI into the rack.

Be careful what you wish for and proceed with caution! MIDI has its own hassles. It’s easy to go deep down a path and find yourself in the “no fun” zone.
djthopa
Hiya,

Good counsel and info here!

Personally i recommend Lines Lemur for Ipad.

Lots of sequencers and templates to get you started on the forum, and if you want to take it further it can be your canvas to your own ideas / fustrations etc.

Im using it with Endorphines shuttle control. Here are some screenshot of the template im using.

4 sequencers, independent clock division, lenght, pattern storage, pitch, etc.

Anyone interested send me a pm and ill gladly sent it over!

Grimulkan
That reminds me, I forgot another small app that does pattern sequencing. I used to use it before Modstep and it is much more simple, but maybe it does the trick.
The rather plainly named "MIDI Pattern Sequencer": https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-pattern-sequencer/id579508906
It has been a while though, so I have no idea how relevant it is today.
jzwoopwoop
djthopa wrote:
Hiya,

Good counsel and info here!

Personally i recommend Lines Lemur for Ipad.

Lots of sequencers and templates to get you started on the forum, and if you want to take it further it can be your canvas to your own ideas / fustrations etc.

Im using it with Endorphines shuttle control. Here are some screenshot of the template im using.

4 sequencers, independent clock division, lenght, pattern storage, pitch, etc.

Anyone interested send me a pm and ill gladly sent it over!

Yes please!! Sending a PM shortly. This is so much more impressive than the lemur template I made for my Shuttle Control, which really only controls a bunch of LFOs through simple fades in lemur.
novotnik
djthopa that looks pretty impressive !

i also use the shuttle control with ipad and your template looks perfect for my sequencing needs ! it would be super nice if you could share it ! i send you a pm...
djthopa
Created new post with info & Download,

Check it here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=177910&start=0&postd ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Cheers
skeller047
Thanks again one and all! I looked into CVPal, but I guess it's a) a kit and b) no longer available? I suppose I could use one of the other MIDI interfaces. One with USB in... Most of those only have one channel with associated pitch, velocity, maybe controller CV, plus trigger. The FH-1 has more outputs, but requires another device.

[edit] Shuttle Control looks good, but pricey. Thanks djthopa.

I'll keep thinking, and let you all know how it goes.
esmeets
Bump
Interested in this too.

I'm using Fugue Machine with iRig and CV.OCD to connect 4 midi channels to my modular rig.

The downside is that all 4 channels are using the same Pianoroll melody (some backwards, other tempo etc).

I'm looking for a pianoroll style iPad sequencer with 4 separate channels with their own sequence. Any recommendations?
Baddcr
Patterning on iOS is different and extremely powerful!

I use it with a Shuttle Control, it's amazing! Set up here to be a drum machine with the ER-301!

[/img]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2