MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plumbutter Highlight: Sound Processing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Plumbutter Highlight: Sound Processing
ghrobbing_tristle
Hey Ciat Family!

I've been a Eurorack user for the last 3 years, and - like many others - I'm considering a switch over to banana synths and, in particular, Peter Blasser's wonderful Plumbutter. It's definitely an instrument I've been drawn to over the last couple of years, and I think I'm almost ready to take the plunge.

One thing I don't see mentioned super often is Plumbutter's sound processing capabilities via the 3 AUX inputs. Some folks on the Monome forum mentioned this feature as being criminally underused, so I figured I'd ask you fine folks about your experiences with it.

How do you typically process sound with the Plumbutter, if at all? Is it an integral aspect of playing the instrument for some of you? I'm basically just curious to hear about your experiences with the inputs and, hopefully, some juicy sound examples!
horaflora
One of the reasons these don't get used that much though, is because when you are using them, the voice they are associated with is unusable usually… That said, I'd like to use the Deerhorn to control mono sounds sources to get a little bit of stereo action

Check the Blippoo panning on this jam, the blippoo is pretty easy to hear if you know it.

https://scy1e.bandcamp.com/track/unscene
wednesdayayay
you can still ping the gongs when sounds are being sent through them as filters

also you can turn on or off the oscillators on the avdog while also send some thing into the aux inputs

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
I love the aux ins

also for extra fun split the output with a stereo splitter (1 stereo output to 2 stereo outputs) and bring one back in to an input for some feedback fun

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcDDktbReCM[/video]

here is a fun video of a bass being processed by the plumbutter
ghrobbing_tristle
Thanks for the replies! wednesdayayay -- that video was really great, thanks for sharing. The feedback trick sounds amazing.

I don't often pair field recordings with my modular, but there's something about the tones and textures of the Plumbutter that seem really conducive to that approach.

So, based on the documentation, it seems like an input source can bypass the AVDog and Deerhorn modules completely, while the same source would end up hitting a filter associated with the Gongue? Is that correct? It's a little tough to completely decipher the manual without the instrument in front of me.

Thanks!
wednesdayayay
there are three inputs along the front of the plumbutter (one output and power plug on the back, and on most a black ground banana jack on the side)

from the left to right the inputs (all stereo one going to the left and one to the right modules associated) are as follows

Gong
input will go to the filters that normally are pinged in order to make the gong drum sound

AVdog
these will allow for panning in the same was you can pan the oscillator back and forth (this is done by pinging a filter in the sub audible frequency and using the resulting envelope to modulate a pair of VCAs I believe)
it is great fun to run things like organ sounds through these

deerhorn
you can pan the sound put into the aux input via the hand gestures the normally used to pan the oscillators
horaflora
When you mention field recordings I remembered that I did an experiment using a few iPods playing back field recordings through each input, and messing with the toggle switches to get either the voices, the field recordings, or the combination of both… I now recall that of course Wednesday is correct, that you can ping the gongs, but the voices can be much louder than your source unless there a boost and somehow, or at least it was in my case so there was a big volume discrepancy that I was unable to properly manage that, so mainly stuck to the aux as they were.

https://scy1e.bandcamp.com/album/salt-gloss
jimmie
I posted the same vid to the jam thread but this is an example of me feeding a field record sample to Deerphone if it helps...

ghrobbing_tristle
Those recordings are beautiful. horaflora - that's good to know, regarding the volume discrepancies between voices and input sources. Also, shout out to wednesdayayay -- I've been spending a lot of time in the Ciat subforum over the last couple of days, and your posts across many threads have been really helpful in deciphering (and building enthusiasm around) the Plumbutter!
yghartsyrt
jimmie wrote:
I posted the same vid to the jam thread but this is an example of me feeding a field record sample to Deerphone if it helps...

sounds rad
yghartsyrt
horaflora wrote:
When you mention field recordings I remembered that I did an experiment using a few iPods playing back field recordings through each input, and messing with the toggle switches to get either the voices, the field recordings, or the combination of both… I now recall that of course Wednesday is correct, that you can ping the gongs, but the voices can be much louder than your source unless there a boost and somehow, or at least it was in my case so there was a big volume discrepancy that I was unable to properly manage that, so mainly stuck to the aux as they were.

https://scy1e.bandcamp.com/album/salt-gloss

that sounds great w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1