MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Ghost in my machines.. Please help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Ghost in my machines.. Please help
Erik Von Artz
Hello fellow muffsterz..

I'm currently battling some strange problems in my system! I've just got got my latest order of modules and is setting up my updated system.
Here you can se what im currently running. The VCA, Mapper and passage is currently not plugged to the power, due to my first suspicion. That it had something to do with lack of power!?!

My problem is: as soon as i added the Octal Video Quantizer & Sequencer the the system, a strange bend of frequency happens on all my Oscillators. As seen in the pictures below! ... Have anyone experienced anything similar or have any idea of what my problem might be.. Is the Octal Video Quantizer & Sequencer simply broken or what is going on here?..
(1 picture: without the Octal Video Quantizer & Sequencer. 2: with the Octal Video Quantizer & Sequencer)

Hope someone can help me out here! help
nerdware
I can't see your PSU. Which one are you using? Does it provide enough current for your modules?
trax
Bent bars / shaky bars on a video synth from my experience is bad power.

Start taking modules out 1x1 and see if you can find the problem
Erik Von Artz
Thx for quick reply's

Think your right!! Just tried plugging the VCA to the power boards as well.. worked fine.. then added the Mapper as well.. problem accurs again.. so it isn't just the Octal Video Quantizer & Sequencer that makes the problem as I thought. It seems to be power problems! But my calculations on ModularGrid must be done wrong then - noob! d'oh! very frustrating
This is the kit i build the case from: (so I should have 1200mA)
http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/doepfer-diy-kit-1-incl-trafo-1200ma.h tml

So yeah.. guess I need more power. But I'm about to order some sort of case anyhow! Any suggestions? .. Was thinking of this one:
http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/doepfer-p9-psu3.html

But will the PSU3 be strong enough in the end? I'm thinking it won't!?
Erik Von Artz
By the way...

Does anyone have the power specs for the Octal Video Quantizer & Sequencer?? Can't seem to find them anywhere. I wrote LZX and the didn't have them neither did they have one there to make the reading on! So ya.. Anyone!?
trax
1200 mA is no where near enough for a video rig.

My advice would be to stop screwing around and get a 5000mA monorocket case. m9e or m9em

https://www.bigcitymusic.com/collections/monorocket

http://controlvoltage.net/monorocket-m9e-case-ford-black-in-stock/dp/2 056

with all of the money you spent on modules - get a good case and never worry.
Erik Von Artz
thumbs up

.. YES.. thx a lot.. That's more like it!! M9EM looks like what I'm looking for. Kind of knew this problem was approaching smile .. but do anybody know any Euro dealers for good cases.. Sick of paying customs all the time zombie
trax
Erik Von Artz wrote:
thumbs up

.. YES.. thx a lot.. Thats more like it!! M9EM looks like what I'm looking for. Kind of knew this problem was approaching smile .. but do anybody know any Euro dealers for good cases.. Sick of paying customs all the time zombie

the only problem with the EM is that most USA power outlets are 15ish amps. If you plug in the EM and other stuff you can easily trip a circuit breaker. (this I have done with these high power monorocket cases) thumbs up
nerdware
I can't find anything like the Monorocket case in Europe. There are definitely many cases available here, but none have that beefy PSU.

The cheapest, simplest option would be to add a power module, like the Row Power 40, to boost the available power in your current system. I've powered 4 rows of video modules with an RP40 on each row. However, my 2nd cabinet uses 2 Malekko PSUs with a sync bridge cable linking them. That's 2X 1.6A. I'm still evaluating it, but its working very well so far.

Obviously, there are a lot of other options. A few years ago, the TTA PSU was very popular with people building their own cases for video synths, but I don't know how well the new version works, as it only has 800ma on the negative rail instead of 1200ma. Anyway, some folks here were using one PSU per row.

You can find more details by searching the old threads in this subforum.
Erik Von Artz
thumbs up

Cool... thx for info!! Your solutions sounds inspiring. I've been searching and searching in europe as well, but can't find anything like them either! ..
Found some quite nice ones, but not that powerful!..
Hmm.. where to go... Back to the drawing board grin

But yeah.. I think I'm gonna stop fooling around, go all in and get one of those sweet Monorocket monsters!.. shiiiit.. $ be flying like Dead Banana
nerdware
Do you have a suitable stepdown transformer?
Erik Von Artz
Not quite sure what a suitable stepdown transformer is? So i guess not! eek!
nerdware
A voltage converter, from one country's standard to another. E.g. I used a US->UK stepdown transformer for a Modcan case/psu that only worked on US power. I've sold the case/psu since then, but I still have the transformer. I could use it for something else, like video gear that only runs on US power. Note the difference between the Modcan PSU and the big Monorocket PSU. 1.5A vs 5A. Wow. I don't even know if there's one big enough for that Monorocket's PSU. I got a stepdown transformer on the advise of Bruce Duncan himself, and checked with him that my choice would work. Maybe you should do the same with Monorocket. Be sure it'll work. If you can't, don't buy it. Nevermind how many US wigglers recomend it. It's not their country. It's not their power. It's not their money. Don't even trust my advise. Be sure.

I don't see a need to run everything on a single PSU. I can understand why so many US residents prefer Monorocket cases, it's a simple question for them, but it's very different outside the US. It gets really expensive to ship a monster like that, then add the heavy stepdown transformer needed to power it, and the advantages become even smaller for non-US users. It certainly won't be so portable.

So, definitely look at the power needed for the Monorocket. Find a suitable stepdown transformer. If you can't find one, or don't know what that might be, you probably shouldn't consider this. If you can find a Monorocket user in Europe, ask them how they power it. If you can't find one, consider why that might be.
Erik Von Artz
thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Yeah ok. I get it. And thank you so much for that warning and explanation in depth! Great help! I am certainly considering my options!
trax
nerdware wrote:

So, definitely look at the power needed for the Monorocket. Find a suitable stepdown transformer. If you can't find one, or don't know what that might be, you probably shouldn't consider this. If you can find a Monorocket user in Europe, ask them how they power it. If you can't find one, consider why that might be.

hmmm.....

All of the NEW-ISH Monorocket cases have Switching PSU (any voltage between 100v - 240v) thumbs up
nerdware
trax wrote:
All of the NEW-ISH Monorocket cases have Switching PSU (any voltage between 100v - 240v) thumbs up

That's good news. I'd still want to check that I was buying the right one, of course. Thanks.

BTW, Modcan PSUs are also international. I bought the case/psu from a wiggler, and it wasn't international. So I guess it was an earlier model. Also, someone had modded it by adding a banana socket on the back. I remember that suprised Bruce.
Erik Von Artz
woah

That IS good news.. it really lures one in, that Monorocket bastard grin
nerdware
Erik Von Artz wrote:
That IS good news.. it really lures one in, that Monorocket bastard grin

lol
Erik Von Artz
hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it hmmm.....

My current thought is to go with the Doepfer suitcase P9 and a second PSU3.. Then just mod the case with either that PSU3 or maybe the 1200mA I all ready got in my DYI case and replace that with the PSU3!? 3200mA or 4000mA to cover 3 rows of 84HP!? That should do it!? .. pretty beefy Doepfer suitcase!
..And affordable!!

It's waaayy cheaper than the Monorocket! Shipment and customs is killing me! If I was in the US.. there would be no choice but the Monorocket.. but i'm not!

Any thought on this solution?
hinotori
I'm powering 104hp of video modules (LZX and DIY) with a Tiptop zeus power bus and haven't ever had any issues, I'm yet to expand to a second row of video but would probably buy another of the same or the 4ms row pow (that I've heard a lot of good things about) when I do. Im in the UK and got my tiptop zeus from Rubadub in Scotland.

Just my two pence thumbs up
mr_coops
I know some folks use the 4ms row power the 40. Verosion I believe. You can daisy chain these or power them separately. 4ms power though it's out of stock currently.
Ross Lamond makes cases and is based in the U.K. He was manufacturing DIY cases might be worth chatting to him he's a great guy and very helpful. His username was on here is Microscopial
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1