MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Evin 209 with black locust questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Evin 209 with black locust questions
Infinity Curve
So, just got an Evin 209 to use with my black locust. I gather it connects to the header on the back of the locust marked 'matrix'?

Does orientation matter? The 209 has a red line indicated on the pcb, but the locust doesn't. I've read some info relating to connection to the Stilton and it just noted both red lines to the right, same deal with the locust?

And do I leave the jumpers on the locust or take them all off?

Really wish there was better documentation on this. Zero information on the harvestman site about connecting them, or how they operate once connected.

And once they are connected, do you use the inputs/outputs on the matrix, or the locust, or both?? I'm sure i will figure that out once they are actually connected.

Tried searching

Help?
mt3
Good questions.
I didn't even know there were jumpers on it (don't have one yet).
Because it's just normalling the connections between the 2 modules, I'm certain there's no potential for damage or smoke.
I think the inputs on the Locust are normalled to the inputs on the Evin.
mt3
Manual here for Stilton Adapter:
http://analoguehaven.com/theharvestman/stiltonadaptor/quickstartguide. pdf

Quote:
THE HARVESTMAN STILTON ADAPTOR QUICKSTART GUIDE
--
The Stilton Adaptor is a 4-channel amplifier and attenuator for sending modular synthesizer signals to guitar effects pedals. It is the first module in The Harvestman's "feedback console" design, and can function as a feedback controller with no other modules present. Simply connect four effects pedals and tune finely. The vermin have inherited the earth.

CONTROLS
--
The Stilton interface is organized into four channels, with the front panel divided into four columns. From the bottom up, each channel features:
- Effects connector. Connect a guitar pedal or similar device here using a mixer "insert" cable. Signals sent to pedals along this cable are attenuated for proper operation.
- Gain control. Attenuates the signal returning from the pedal.
- Mix control. A wet/dry balance control. Counterclockwise is the "dry" position (or previous channel signal in feedback mode), and clockwise is the "wet" position (or current channel signal in feedback mode).
- Signal input. Connect your modular-level signal to be sent to the pedal.
- Signal output. Listen to what comes back from the pedal, governed by the channel's two control knobs and the effects device itself.

CONNECTIONS
--
In order to use the Stilton Adaptor as intended, you must use TRS insert cables to connect your effects devices. Following the front panel diagram, connect the cable's "RING" connector to the effect's input, and the "TIP" connector to the effect output.
You may also connect a guitar or other instrument-level device to the Stilton by simply using a TS instrument cable. In this configuration, the Stilton simply functions as a preamplifier.

FEEDBACK NETWORK
--
The Stilton ships with four jumpers pre-installed on the back panel. When installed, each jumper "normals" the output of a channel to the next channel's input. With all four installed, the four channels form a closed feedback loop when nothing is patched into the minijack inputs. Since the feedback loop is an iterative system, you can obtain very different results by monitoring the four different output jacks. For your convenience, an additional output is present on the fourth channel if you wish to patch back into channels 2 or 3 for a shorter feedback loop.
To use the Stilton as four standalone amplifiers, simply plug cables into the minijack inputs, or disconnect the jumpers.
Future "Feedback Console" modules will connect to the Stilton adaptor by cabling to this header, in place of the jumper block.
Infinity Curve
Ya, I seem to have it working now, but will mess further this evening. As you noted, the jumpers on the locust are just for normalling the outputs to inputs of the adjacent channel for closed feedback, so I have removed these for now. I have the 209 connected to the Locust via the Matrix connection and things are working as I believe they should be.

Will report back this evening once i have more time with it. Pretty much got it hooked up last night and functioning as I think it should, but had to go to bed shortly after.

From my few minutes with it, it appears you still want to take your 'out' signals from the Locust or it seems to bypass the effects, like if you patch to an input on the 209 and listen on one of the outputs on the 209, it is not effected through the effects loops, so just working like a normal matrix mixer.

Will post back with more info
Infinity Curve
So yes, it is functioning properly, and fuck me it's awesome! nanners

Was messing this evening with my usual suspects, rm1n, black fountain, count to 5 and an spx-990

Glorious!! thumbs up

Sampled a bunch into my mpc, will try and post some examples soon.
mt3
Infinity Curve wrote:
black fountain

Have this on my list as well!
mt3
Infinity Curve wrote:
So yes, it is functioning properly, and fuck me it's awesome! nanners

Was messing this evening with my usual suspects, rm1n, black fountain, count to 5 and an spx-990

Glorious!! thumbs up

Sampled a bunch into my mpc, will try and post some examples soon.

Any idea what the jumpers do? Aesthetic decoratives?
Infinity Curve
The jumpers on the back of the locust normal the outputs to the adjacent channels inputs, so with nothing patched in, it forms a continuous loop through the four channels. When you remove the jumpers each channel just works individually. Using it with the 209, it seems you wouldn't want the normalization between channels so that you can control what signal goes where strictly with the 209's matrix.

So ya, with jumpers on, channel 1's output feeds into channel 2's input, 2 into 3, 3 into 4, 4 into 1. Patching anything to a channels input on the locust breaks the normalization from the previous channels output

No jumpers on and all 4 channels work standalone, and you would have to manually patch inputs to outputs if you want stuff going through multiple channels in a loop

Hope that makes sense

Haven't tried it with the 209 with the jumpers left on the Locust, not sure how it will react
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1