Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

skeller047
Common Wiggler

Post by skeller047 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Just pulled trigger on pre-order. CONTROL gonna be bizzzzeeeee....

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:07 pm

propertyof wrote:
rikrak wrote:Any idea where I can pre-order in the UK?
nickbaba wrote:Ah OK, I see - yeah, me UK too

Can't find any UK pre-order... guess Matt will have them but he doesn't do pre's
Rubadub has it listed for pre-order. including the expander.
http://www.rubadub.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=pamela
Excellent - cheers!

digits
Common Wiggler

Post by digits » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Detroit Modular has them for preorder too, they're also good people worth supporting!

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Forgive my stupidity. This puts out syncable LFOs and random CV? Not just a pulse?

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:15 am

[video][/video]

https://youtu.be/2w--qmhEqxE

A short ambient drone demo using only Pamela's New Workout for all CV duties/modulation. Using the Randon CV mode + the Loop mode (think Turing machine) for the reoccurring melody parts, Sine/triangle/saw LFOs for Akemie's Castle modulation & gates to the Taiko's.

I've been using a pair of these for the last 3 months during the beta testing and they have become the clock & modulation heart of my system. My guess is this will become as ubiquitous as Maths.

(NOTE: The Pamela's New Workout in this video is a prototype hence the custom red encoder knob - this will be blue for the commercial production runs.)

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:04 am

Great patch Vcoadsr! Nice to see Pamela in action.

There's also a nice video posted on the ALM website, but to be honest it doesn't really explain what the module does. Hopefully someone will post a review soon.

Now the million dollar question: does Tempi offer any advantages over the Pamela's New Workout? With ridiculous number of division/multiplication options, plus the lfos, euclidian rhythms, and that nice screen it seems to me that ALM has built the quintessential clock module. But I know that there are many people who swear by Tempi so I'm curious...

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 am

ugokcen wrote:Great patch Vcoadsr! Nice to see Pamela in action.

There's also a nice video posted on the ALM website, but to be honest it doesn't really explain what the module does. Hopefully someone will post a review soon.

Now the million dollar question: does Tempi offer any advantages over the Pamela's New Workout? With ridiculous number of division/multiplication options, plus the lfos, euclidian rhythms, and that nice screen it seems to me that ALM has built the quintessential clock module. But I know that there are many people who swear by Tempi so I'm curious...
i think they build the quintessential clock module.
however, the only downside is, that it can not be clocked from a very very slow clock. maybe the tempi can..(?)
like you have a maths running, as a very slow lfo, and you would like to use the eoc as the main clock.
this would be not possible with the pam, as it can not go lower than 10bpm...

i somethimes whish it would, but i can live with that.

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:57 am

evs wrote:
however, the only downside is, that it can not be clocked from a very very slow clock. maybe the tempi can..(?)
like you have a maths running, as a very slow lfo, and you would like to use the eoc as the main clock.

The clock goes down to 10 BPM but then you can have a division of /512 at 10 BPM which would give you 1.17 beats per hour if I did my sums correctly. Pretty slow.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:12 am

Ahah indeed ! Can't for for this to hit Modularsquare's shelves

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:01 am

Vcoadsr wrote:
evs wrote:

The clock goes down to 10 BPM but then you can have a division of /512 at 10 BPM which would give you 1.17 beats per hour if I did my sums correctly. Pretty slow.
No, you did not understand, I was not talking about the outgoing clock.
But about the ingoing clock. It's a matter of how you patch. If you always start with Pam it's no problem, no matter how slow your stuff is. If you start with something different and want to derive clocks from there and you have slow music, you can not use Pam.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:02 am

Tempi's clock settings are delegated by buttons so that's easier than programming...but I think that might be the only advantage. I'm debating the switch....

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:14 am

Just to make sure, is it possible to have one output sending regular trig, one output sending a lfo, one sending a euclidean pattern and one sending enveloppes? Meaning every output is completely independent (except for the tempo)?

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 am

High Wolf wrote:Just to make sure, is it possible to have one output sending regular trig, one output sending a lfo, one sending a euclidean pattern and one sending enveloppes? Meaning every output is completely independent (except for the tempo)?
Yep, 8 independent channels completely configurable :banana:

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 am

Vcoadsr wrote:
High Wolf wrote:Just to make sure, is it possible to have one output sending regular trig, one output sending a lfo, one sending a euclidean pattern and one sending enveloppes? Meaning every output is completely independent (except for the tempo)?
WOW...I really want NOT to want that as I've already have the old Pam but hard to resist!

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:37 am

RubaDub (UK) has them in stock today.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:52 am

Anybody keeping their old PAM while getting the new one as well?

I'm trying to figure out if I want to sell old for new or just add new. The original pam has always been the heartbeat clock device for me and they just upped the ante big time!

rustyjaw
Common Wiggler

Post by rustyjaw » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:23 pm

I was about to order a multiway envelope generator, but I think the new Pam's will fill that need and more.
miles_macquarrie wrote:Anybody keeping their old PAM while getting the new one as well?

I'm trying to figure out if I want to sell old for new or just add new. The original pam has always been the heartbeat clock device for me and they just upped the ante big time!
I can see keeping the original for clock mult/div duties. Also perhaps as a dedicated Euclidean sequencer, although I never upgraded the firmware on my original to allow this. I heard the firmware upgrade process can be a bit of a nightmare.
Synth Enthusiast | Abandonment Photographer

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Vcoadsr wrote:
Hot damn I need this in my life :sb:

reflecto
Common Wiggler

Post by reflecto » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Hopefully the clock input issues sorted out . I sold my mk1 because of that but would give this a try if it reports ok.

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:52 am

Wow, I was pretty set on getting something like a MN Tempi + XAOC Batumi for clocked modulation duties, but Pam's New Workout lets me seriously reconsider this. Some "menu diving" apart, what would you guys say are the disadvantaged of Pam's New Workout compared to said combination?

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 am

uebl wrote:Wow, I was pretty set on getting something like a MN Tempi + XAOC Batumi for clocked modulation duties, but Pam's New Workout lets me seriously reconsider this. Some "menu diving" apart, what would you guys say are the disadvantaged of Pam's New Workout compared to said combination?
what i said above.
in short: if you don´t want to use pam as a master clock and would like to have it synced to a very very slow clock: not possible. pam goes down to 10 bpm.
all clocks below this will not be accepted.
i see that this is for most people rarely the case.

about the menu diving: its super simple and the best menu you can imagine. i for instance hate menues. had the original pam, and it never was a problem. so intuitiv. and you don´t forget it, even after a long time of not using it..

pitri
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pitri » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:06 am

Vcoadsr wrote:[video][/video]

https://youtu.be/2w--qmhEqxE
Where is that high pitch noise coming from thats constant all the way through? sounds like a LED hiss - hopefully not caused by the pams :zombie:

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:19 am

pitri wrote:
Where is that high pitch noise coming from thats constant all the way through? sounds like a LED hiss - hopefully not caused by the pams :zombie:
Hi Pitri,

I hadn't noticed it until I turned the volume right up!

It's 100% coming from the audio interface I was using (Audio Damage ODIO) that connects into my camera - it's categorically nothing to do with the modules in the video.

I double checked this morning and found that the constant high pitch tone is present on the ODIO when nothing is plugged into it - I use the ODIO for convenience when making these vids rather than having a second audio interface/mixer and on the whole it works fine for most things.

strange tales
Common Wiggler

Post by strange tales » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:56 am

Just preordered from Perfect Circuit. Now the waiting begins (and have an Akemie's Taiko coming with it as well) :banana: :banana: :banana:

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:08 am

nickbaba wrote:RubaDub (UK) has them in stock today.
Received mine from Rubadub this morning!

Racked it up but haven't had chance to play yet.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”