MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Morphagene for first module???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Morphagene for first module???
tylerkenthill
Hi all!

So, I'm new to modular synthesis, and am hoping to buy a 104HP skiff soon. My goal is to basically build a version of the Make Noise System Concréte because I'm a radio journalist and the idea of making tape music is really interesting to me.

I'm hoping to build my system around a morphagene instead of a phonogene, and I'm on a budget, so I'll be building it module by module. I'm going to have a little bit of expendable cash soon, and could probably buy 2 smaller modules or 1 nicer one when I order my skiff.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to start with the morphagene, since it'll be the most expensive module in the system, it's the one that does the most, and it's the only one I won't be able to find used. What are your thoughts on this? Could I do some cool things with the morphagene on its own for a while before I have the money to buy some other modules?

Which ones in the system concréte should I try to buy next? I'm thinking maybe the wogglebug so I can have some CVs to patch to the morphagene.

Let me know your thoughts! Like I said, I'm new to this and I've done a lot of research but I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing. So any advice is appreciated. Thanks! smile
boboter
Years ago I built a small-ish case around the Phonogene and also started with said module. You definitely can have some fun with it on it's own but obviously you're missing out on what is possible.

Still, in my opinion it is a good first module. For second I would definitely go for some modulation. Either, like you already mentioned, a random source like the Wogglebug, or a function generator like Maths.

Nr. three would be a vca or low-pass-gate. You can't go wrong with an Optomix.
richc90
What boboter said: Wogglebug, Maths, Optomix/LxD. Alot of my PG patches involve alot of parallel filtering: one version of the loop through one low pass filter, another through another high pass filter, etc. Echophon and Erbe-Verb are also great for adding variety. So I'd probably get a couple of smallish filters rather than the MMG (which is admittedly great but I'd rather have multiple filters.

As for the MG vs PG, I'm intrigued by the MG but I don't think I could ever lose my PG: it's quirks and limitations are the source of its immense charm. In particular, I'm also of the impression that the MG is much more hifi than the PG, which is full of lofi grit and character. Can the MG sound like this?

[s]https://soundcloud.com/rich-c90/burning-bright[/s]
tylerkenthill
Thanks to both of you! That's super helpful.

Do you think it makes a difference which versions of Maths and/or Wogglebug I get? Some of the older versions are appealing to me because I can find them for so much cheaper, but I wonder if I'd miss out on the capabilities of the newer ones?

As far as phonogene vs morphagene, I agree that the lofi sound of the phonogene is pretty cool. What I like most about the morphagene is that it can play way longer samples, which is super useful if I wanted to use the system to mix radio stories/documentaries/podcasts. Before, I was thinking about doing a phonogene and a Music Thing Radio Music, but I like the sampling capabilities of the morphagene. smile
tylerkenthill
PS I love what you've done in that song!
richc90
Thanks. If you look on the Phonogene Compositions thread there are loads of fantastic examples of what you can do, many of which have super useful patch notes.

As for Maths and Wogglebug, I've only used the most recent versions but I suspect that it wouldn't matter a tremendous amount. Even the newer versions come up relatively often on the BST section, so you should be able to get a good deal if you are patient.

That being said, since you only have 84HP to play with (104 less then MG/PG), I'd be tempted to get the newer Wogglebug just because it saves you 4HP over the older version, which is invaluable in a small rig.
asteraster
Is there a particular reason you're looking at Maths and Wogglebug other than maintaining the aesthetic of MakeNoise? I'm not saying that's wrong but, seeing as this is Eurorack and you have the choice of using any modules in a case, I'd at least suggest looking at what other options are available.

There's much less expensive modules that perform similar or exactly the same functions as Maths or Wogglebug.

I use Mutable Instruments Tides for complex LFO's and, with Parasites, as a Random source.

Starting with Morphagene should be fun, though!
tylerkenthill
That's a good point about the space on the new Wogglebug. Definitely something to keep in mind.

And as far as sticking with Make Noise, I should probably look into some other brands too! I had planned to just do Make Noise because I'm essentially recreating a system they've already made, and being new to this, thought it would be simpler. But that's a really good point about exploring what other modules do the same things. Thanks for the advice!
boboter
There are of course many great choices for every purpose and you should check them all out. But there is a reason that e.g. Maths is in so many people's cases. Just sayin'.
tylerkenthill
boboter wrote:
there is a reason that e.g. Maths is in so many people's cases. Just sayin'.

That's a good point. Maths seems to be pretty universally-loved.
baleen
I think the Morphagene is a good module to build your setup around, but I agree w folks above that just a Morphagene might be limiting.

Yeah the MN module suggestions up there are good, and I agree w asteraster that Tides is great for modulation and many, many other things (I run Maths AND Tides fwiw). Modulation systems which influence and relate with each other are a big feature in even a small build.

Not sure I saw it upthread but an attenuator/attenuverter will be a handy tool.

what's yr budget? what are you trying to do musically? ("i don't know yet!" is a fine answer).
tylerkenthill
Right! I would hope to not be limited to just the Morphagene for too long. Basically my budget is that every couple months I'll have $200-$300 to spend so I'm hoping to just build it piece by piece, but was wondering if it makes sense to start with the Morphagene first.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd like to do musically. I don't have a lot of experience as a musician, and most of my experience is in producing audio stories for radio or podcasts. So basically what I'd like my little skiff to be able to do is make cool music/effects that would be helpful in scoring/sound designing audio documentaries.

My current plan I think is to go:
1. Skiff + Morphagene
2. Mult+2hp Mix+Blind panels (all the cheap stuff basically)
3. Wogglebug
4. Echophon
5. Maths
6. MMG

Does anybody have thoughts/advice on that order of buying things?
Bigsteak
richc90 wrote:
What boboter said: Wogglebug, Maths, Optomix/LxD. Alot of my PG patches involve alot of parallel filtering: one version of the loop through one low pass filter, another through another high pass filter, etc. Echophon and Erbe-Verb are also great for adding variety. So I'd probably get a couple of smallish filters rather than the MMG (which is admittedly great but I'd rather have multiple filters.

As for the MG vs PG, I'm intrigued by the MG but I don't think I could ever lose my PG: it's quirks and limitations are the source of its immense charm. In particular, I'm also of the impression that the MG is much more hifi than the PG, which is full of lofi grit and character. Can the MG sound like this?

This is incredible. Now I need a phonogene. Do you remember what the source audio is? I've been looking to create similar tape loop, vaporwave esque sounds like this.
hinterlands303
tylerkenthill wrote:
Right! I would hope to not be limited to just the Morphagene for too long. Basically my budget is that every couple months I'll have $200-$300 to spend so I'm hoping to just build it piece by piece, but was wondering if it makes sense to start with the Morphagene first.

My current plan I think is to go:
1. Skiff + Morphagene
2. Mult+2hp Mix+Blind panels (all the cheap stuff basically)
3. Wogglebug
4. Echophon
5. Maths
6. MMG

Does anybody have thoughts/advice on that order of buying things?

I would get Maths second as envelopes are more immediately useful than a random source (which is still really useful!). After that I would get a some kind of VCA or LPG. Then the Wogglebug, and then whatever utilities you find you might need and whatever effects you think will be useful.
mlaszews
richc90 wrote:

This is great. Thanks, now I want to spend $500 on a PG/MG...
tylerkenthill
Awesome! I've changed my list. Thanks smile
richc90
Step 2 might be skipped. Because a) you can make your own blind panels (Poorness has an example early on in his eurorack diary thread that is really usefu) and b) you can get a couple of external splitters or stack cables (which also saves you space). You will probably need a mixer at some point, but you could get that with something like Optomix or Moddemix (which also have other uses like being VCAs, etc.)

My approach would be: be patient and get Maths (or the Wogglebug) at the same time as you can the skiff and MG. Then something kind of filter/mixer. The echophon is great, but it is alot of real estate for what it is. Warps with parasites would offer more. As before: I would also recommend against the MMG. For the size, you could get two other filters that offer multiple outputs (HP/LP/BP) rather than just one. There are lots of good small (I mean 6HP and under) options here: if you want coverage of the LPG angle, LxD would be a great option at 4HP.

Obviously there are many options, but here is a quick selection I knocked up in a few minutes on modulargrid. Rosie in in there because it offers mixing, an effects loop, and means you can plug you headphones in a wiggle on the sofa.

richc90
Bigsteak wrote:
This is incredible. Do you remember what the source audio is? I've been looking to create similar tape loop, vaporwave esque sounds like this.

Thanks. There are patch notes here and it was a snippet of Julee Cruise running in reverse. It's amazing what unexpected results you get with the PG: I've currently got a snippet of choral music in there running in reverse which sounds like orchestral strings...
R.U.Nuts
I started my modular with a phonogene. I assume my reccomendations will apply to a system based around a Morphagene as well:
Phonogene loves stepped modulation sources. A Wogglebug can deliver this but you probably could get away with a simple sample and hold module as well -of course you'll need something to feed the S&H. Noise would be an obvious choice and some S&H modules have a noise source built in. The Morphagene can deliver the triggers for the S&H. I built a Turing Machine for this purpose.
Maths is great for small systems. For example it ca work as a mixer with up to four channels or a comparator which can be fed with the envelope follower of the MG.
Lastly I'd skip the blind panels and would DIY something of wood or even cardboard. This will save you some money for patchcables. You'll need plenty of them and they're pricey.
Aiyn Zahev
richc90 wrote:

Good question, I like this a lot.
tylerkenthill
Wow! This is all so helpful! Thanks richc90 and everybody else! Definitely going to be coming back to this thread as I start to actually buy modules.
InnnerSight
Check out Pamela's New Workout as a potential modulation source for your Morphogene.
Jumbuktu
Other ideas for modulation sources:

- QuBit Nanorand. Like a Wogglebug in 4hp
- The new WMD/SSF ModBox. 5 modulation sources plus noise in 6hp. Can sync to the EOSG output and does clock division as well.
Sebastian Cain
Jumbuktu wrote:
Other ideas for modulation sources:

- QuBit Nanorand. Like a Wogglebug in 4hp
- The new WMD/SSF ModBox. 5 modulation sources plus noise in 6hp. Can sync to the EOSG output and does clock division as well.

ADE Octocontroller is a modulation powerhouse
baleen
on the more straightforward side, Ears would be fun n handy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3