MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LW *AND* 4U Stuff
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author LW *AND* 4U Stuff
J3RK
I thought I'd start a new thread for the Loudest Warning format things that I've been working on.

I'm taking a uniform panel size approach, and packing just enough into each one to make it worth a 4" space. I do want to be able to fill in a whole row of a CLee boat though, so I have some utility ideas for some central 1" panels.

A lot of the new PCBs are done. I've made one successful panel as well. This is fun!

I've started some optional IO boards. The wiring really isn't bad on these though, so I don't know if it's even worth it. I know people like them though, so I hope to have some available.

I'll post some pics and things in the next couple of posts.

Here's a partial list of PCBs. Some will be combined for a given panel, some may have individual panels, and some will be for the 1" central modules.

The PCBs are mixed. Some are TH, some are SMT. (in the case of SMT, I've used SOIC, 0805, SOD123, SOT23, etc. All very manageable)

Quad Quadrant - 1" - AD633 4Q Multiplier (Ring Modulator)
Operator VCO - TZ Phase Modulation VCO
UltraMirror VCO - Used on the Six Demon Bag VCO
UltraTimbre - Also used on the Six Demon Bag VCO
UltraClock - Simple V/Oct VCO with /2 /3 /4 division and start stop function (used on Three Four)
3-4 Flop - 3 or 4 stage selectable sequencer (used on Three Four)
Dual Angle - Two Linear Slopes, Analog Peak OR Mixer (used on Dual Angle)
Dual VCA - Two Linear VCAs (used on Dual Angle)
MultiState Filter - Pingable State Variable Filter with compensated V/Oct, controlled VC resonance, etc.
MultiFlop - 6/7/8 step sequencer with two separate CV control sets and outputs, plus switchable gates and separate switchable triggers, plus combined gate and trigger outputs. This one will DEFINITELY have an IO PCB as it would just suck to wire. hihi

An 8" FlexWave VCO module is possible as well. I haven't started on a panel for this yet though. I did have one in the works, but I'd like to start a new one that matches the new panel layouts better.

I have some percussion ideas as well. (combined functions normally seen in analog drums, but all brought to the panel to mix and match for a given drum type)

I'll add to the list. Those are just off the top of my head. I've laid out quite a few more, and have a few more being prototyped.
J3RK
PCB Items

First actually completed IO PCB w00t

J3RK
Panel Items

Here are a few panels. Working on more for the phase modulation VCO, a new output module, among some others.

J3RK
Documentation Items

Operator Notes:

For 12V operation to get the sine waves right, the triangle shapers need the following modifications.

R43 and R49 should be 226K.
R42 and R48 should be 158K.

You can also decrease R60 and R65 a little bit to increase sine wave amplitude if needed. (maybe to 82K or even 68K)
J3RK
Misc Items
Scolbio
Amazing!

What is the Six Demon Bag?
jhulk
love it nice
J3RK
Scolbio wrote:
Amazing!

What is the Six Demon Bag?

Thanks!

It's an UltraMirror VCO plus a wave folding/timbre board. I made a bunch of improvements to the single VCO board that the MCVCO dual oscillator used, so I wanted to give it a whirl. Not to point you to a sale thread, but I put a post in there today with pics and a link to some sounds from it. I'm on my phone right now, but could put those here as well later. (also it's a reference to Big Trouble in Little China) hihi

I'll be laying out more panels as I get a bit of time here and there. I can post the FPDs too.
livefreela
these look great - i've been building your stuff into random source style 4x4 panels to play with the serge. these will be welcome additions!
clorax hurd
It is beautiful.

I found wiring quite easy on your previous boards, so I am not afraid of that.

I would like my modules as shallow as possible, so I wonder - I see 4 additional holes on most panels - I assume those are for PCB mounting? If yes, then for example "six demon bag" has 4 holes and needs 2 pcbs, so is it 2 holes per PCB and will there be two floors of PCBs behind the panel?
Also, no holes on quad gate.
(I usually end up epoxy glueing stand-offs to the panel so I don't have to use brackets, but I am not very happy about it as I am not sure how realiable it is
and not possible to check when mounted in case.

Anyway, will take few "Operators" and one "Three Four" for sure... (possibly even the other ones if/when my budget will allow it.)
J3RK
clorax hurd wrote:
It is beautiful.

I found wiring quite easy on your previous boards, so I am not afraid of that.

I would like my modules as shallow as possible, so I wonder - I see 4 additional holes on most panels - I assume those are for PCB mounting? If yes, then for example "six demon bag" has 4 holes and needs 2 pcbs, so is it 2 holes per PCB and will there be two floors of PCBs behind the panel?
Also, no holes on quad gate.
(I usually end up epoxy glueing stand-offs to the panel so I don't have to use brackets, but I am not very happy about it as I am not sure how realiable it is
and not possible to check when mounted in case.

Anyway, will take few "Operators" and one "Three Four" for sure... (possibly even the other ones if/when my budget will allow it.)

Thanks!!

Yes the small holes are M3 or 4/40 sized for PCB mounting. I actually haven't finalized the Quad Gate PCB yet, so that panel doesn't have the holes placed yet.

I use 3/4" standoffs, which just clear bananas, NKK toggles, etc.

J3RK
They can be stacked that way, or I can do more sets of holes for side by side, or even do combined function PCBs.

Even stacked using only two holes like above, it's VERY solid.
cygmu
Fantastic!

You might as well just send a couple of everything my way and invoice me smile
Jonachi
Great news!!! Thanks dustin
tojpeters
Nice work in a great format.
Jonachi
Best format and the nicest people! (in my opinion!)
fma
Guess I really need to wrap up my euro back log stuff now. This all looks fantastic.
SoundPool
for the dual angle, if this is the same circuit I may have asked you this already elsewhere... but can it be used as a utility osc like the DUSG? Or be used as a filter like the DUSG? Was planning on trying to use slope generators like that as the heart of my system since they are so versatile... but I'm not really keen on messing with the CGS boards and using the RS version would need to be re-paneled anyway. Having another slope alternative out there is great!
J3RK
SoundPool wrote:
for the dual angle, if this is the same circuit I may have asked you this already elsewhere... but can it be used as a utility osc like the DUSG? Or be used as a filter like the DUSG? Was planning on trying to use slope generators like that as the heart of my system since they are so versatile... but I'm not really keen on messing with the CGS boards and using the RS version would need to be re-paneled anyway. Having another slope alternative out there is great!

I was mostly going for an envelope when I did the Angle Generator since I tend to cram VCOs into just about everything. hihi As such they aren't voltage controllable in their current state. The will cycle well into audio ranges, but adjusting that is a matter of turning both the rise and fall of the slopes. So not hugely friendly as an oscillator I'm afraid. They do in fact slew/filter an incoming signal into the gate input, which is ok as a manually controlled filter, but once again, without additional control inputs, this limits the usefulness as a real filter. The UnoPole circuit on the DXOR PCB is a little better for this since it's fully voltage controllable. (makes a good pseudo-low-pass-gate)

There may be ways to add voltage control into this circuit, but I haven't explored the possibility much. My goal with it aside from wanting a linear slope, was to do it differently than the VCS/USG/281 circuits that are already out there. I didn't use norton amps, discrete logic, OTAs, or anything like that.

Mine is just an inverting integrator (like the core of a VCO,) CMOS gates, an op amp circuit that's more or less equivalent to a 555 IC, and some fast DG-series CMOS switches.

It may be possible to inject voltages/currents in before or after the switches, but I'm not sure how it would behave. I may revisit this at some point though. I've been asked a few times if this could be used as a base for a trapezoid generator as well, and much of what would go into that adaption could probably used to add voltage control as well I think. Honestly, I haven't really needed any of this extended functionality myself, but I realize people like the swiss army function generator approach too. w00t
tIB
Great to see the format growing and always admire your work. I'll probably add a couple of these in the long term...
cygmu
SoundPool wrote:
I'm not really keen on messing with the CGS boards

Without wishing to hijack the thread, I just have to say that if you're at all interested in building 4U modules in the Loudest Warning format then a CGS114 DUSG with one of Charlie's panels has to be high on the list! There's no reason to fear the CGS board -- if i can build them, anyone can.
nurbivore
cygmu wrote:
SoundPool wrote:
I'm not really keen on messing with the CGS boards

Without wishing to hijack the thread, I just have to say that if you're at all interested in building 4U modules in the Loudest Warning format then a CGS114 DUSG with one of Charlie's panels has to be high on the list! There's no reason to fear the CGS board -- if i can build them, anyone can.

That said, the CGS114 board is terrible compared to every other CGS board I've done. It's not through-plated, has a bunch of jumpers, and the power connectors are scattered all over the board so you can't use a regular MTA jack. Don't let it scare you off CGS, though, they're otherwise really nice to build.
SoundPool
perhaps I've been overly skeptical of CGS boards... I just feel like I have seen endless years of wiring questions and things like that always on CGS boards... it seemed as though there were some builds that were both either very unclear or had errors that were just never corrected, and it wasn't something I was keen to bother with.

thanks for the info on the dual angle. I appreciate the approach- not everything needs to be a swiss army knife, and particularly I don't think everything needs to have every aspect be VC'able. I don't use much of it anyway- generally I play things by hand or set and leave things playing them more via a mixer. sounds like trying to use it as a lazy man's DUSG would be a bit of a waste and its better suited for other purposes, but nice to know it can go up into audio and do all those fun things too.
a100user
Great to see more 4U modules that follow the multiples of an inch sizing. I really like Charlie's interpretation and designs. Charlie built all of these, combination of CGS, CLEE, STROH, MUTABLE etc

And I have space for a few more Mr. Green

Reality Checkpoint
^^^

Great cases for the LW format. Where did you get them?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11