MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tiny mixer for a tiny set-up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Tiny mixer for a tiny set-up
Corbeau
So, my SO has expressed a great deal of interest in getting into synths and stuff, which is just incredible. I'm stoked to have met someone who finds this stuff as cool as I do.

I've already given her a Volca Bass which she loves, and I'm about to give her a PO-16 and Bastl Kastle. Eventually I will probably give her my Volca Beats, but I'm trying not to overwhelm her with my enthusiasm hihi

So now that she has all this little gear, she will need a way to hear it all properly! Problem is, she needs to keep things very small and portable. I've been looking at various mixers and am unsure about what would be ideal.

Right now it seems to come down to either the yamaha AG06, the Behringer Xenyx 1204USB or Xenyx Q1002USB, or the Alesis Multimix 4USB FX.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Alesis, as it seems to have the right number of line-ins for the right price. The Yamaha seems to be too limited, although I've heard good things about their mixers. As for the Behringers, the larger one would seem to be nice as it would allow her to expand if she wanted, but I've always heard iffy things about their QC. Are their products still iffy or is this no longer the case?

Any thoughts on the Alesis? Or ideas for other things that would be great to get a beginner?
IR
I prefer this one:
https://www.thomann.de/fr/behringer_xenyx_1002_b.htm

I have it, it's pretty small and you can use up to 4 channels in stereo. No effects returns, but you can come back on a channel and use the eq.

Also works on batteries.
Catmandeux
From what I've heard, the preamps on the Alesis are perhaps the poorest of the bunch. But if you're not relying upon them, it shouldn't matter. Mackie also has some good mixers in a small form factor.

Other limitations I see with that Alesis is that you only have a 2 band EQ. I find the mid on a three band British style EQ can work wonders. If you depend on the USB, verify if it's 16 or 24 bit sample rate... it's 16bit on the Alesis. Internal effects can be handy but make sure you can bus in a superior boutique outboard effect (there's no fx/aux send return on the Alesis). Also if mutes aren't onboard, having faders can be quicker than knobs.

I've been using a Behinger 1002B. I like the versatility of the numerous channels. Battery power is handy, although the phantom is underpowered. Only complaints is that I wish it was more portable and had a more detailed VU meter. Overall it's been very flexible for unpredictable setup changes.
Corbeau
Damn, the 1002b looks perfect! That's basically exactly what I was looking for, especially the battery powered part. My only complaint is that there's no USB, but its not a huge deal. An interface can come later (I have a spare Mackie blackjack that I can give/lend to her if she really wants it).

And thanks for the heads-up on the Alesis, I hadn't realized it had those drawbacks, very glad I didn't go ahead and order that one.

I will probably get her the 1002b, then I think she will be set for quite a while! Thanks guys. Open to other suggestions still, of course, if anyone has any. Not pulling the trigger quite yet thumbs up
Catmandeux
If you can get by with a very limited set channels, there are several companies that use the same common form factor. I suspect they are all made by the same Chinese company and branded differently. Most have different feature sets.

One example that may appeal to you is the Pyle Pad20MXU. Keep in mind it's super small, so it's going to have significant limitations and likely some issues.

However in a tiny form factor it does have:
USB (likely 16 bit)
Built in lithium battery that recharged via the USB
Three channels, plus an RCA stereo I/O pair
Underpowered 18V always on phantom XLR
Cheap 2band EQ & pan
Dual stereo outs among the routing options.
No vu meter, just a few clipping LEDs

It's what I would consider as a bit of low end crapgadget device, but it may be perfectly adequate for specific setups.

Here's a pic of it on my knee. It's very small.
Corbeau
That is effectively the kind of size of mixer I was looking for - tiny and cheap, nothing overwhelming, just gets the job done. I'm not seeing it for sale anywhere in France though, but its something to search around for for sure.

The lack of inputs might be problematic though. I know that she could route the Kastle through the PO-16, reducing the amount of inputs she needs to just two, but I'd like for there to be maybe one or two more inputs to work with that are normal line-ins - RCA inputs seem a bit cumbersome hmmm..... . Effects returns and EQ are not as much of a concern at this point, as is USB because I don't think she's wanting to record anything. It's just for fun. And frankly I'm afraid of introducing DAWs to her at the moment eek! but I guess we'll see.
Zon
I will not recommend the behringer xenyx, i've had 2 already and both times the pins of the power supply broke off..

I now use an Alto Zephyr 4 channel, it's in the same price range and works fine.
Catmandeux
I think I ordered my little Pyle mixer via amazon
Corbeau
Zon wrote:
I will not recommend the behringer xenyx, i've had 2 already and both times the pins of the power supply broke off..

I now use an Alto Zephyr 4 channel, it's in the same price range and works fine.

Ah, I see. That might be a better alternative, although I'm really liking the battery-powered aspect of the 1002b.

Is this the alto line you're referring to? Alto ZMX 862

edit: This one also looks great t.mix 1202FX any opinions on these?

And I'm not seeing any Pyle mini-mixers on amazon.fr...it's available on the UK amazon though. hmmm.....
smetak
Bought this a while ago:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/m-10mx/

Very simple and extremely small - discontinued, but you can find it used for around $100.
Corbeau
smetak wrote:
Bought this a while ago:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/m-10mx/

Very simple and extremely small - discontinued, but you can find it used for around $100.

This really fits the bill. I'm not having much luck finding used ones for sale around here...I'll keep looking though thumbs up
MindMachine
Check these out too. Little brick type mixers or small desk top and rack mixers. I have had good luck with ART products.

http://artproaudio.com/mixers/
Hainbach
The Koma Field Kit has a four channel mono mixer and will be heaps of fun on top. I would get that.
Corbeau
MindMachine wrote:
Check these out too. Little brick type mixers or small desk top and rack mixers. I have had good luck with ART products.

http://artproaudio.com/mixers/

Their USB Mix line looks pretty great, although a bit pricier. But I bet the quality is really nice, so definitely worth considering. The size is perfect too.

The TubeMix on the other hand looks awesome...I might consider getting that for myself at some point Drunken Homer Simpson Only issue is that it's 16 bit..

Hainbach wrote:

The Koma Field Kit has a four channel mono mixer and will be heaps of fun on top. I would get that.

I was looking into this as well. It really is a good idea. The only issues are that it's quite expensive (she would probably not like me dropping so much cash on her at once haha), and it's not going to be available for a while: i was hoping to get something for her before she has to leave the country for a bit.

Also, I feel it'd be rather intimidating for a beginner, maybe? There's a lot going on with that thing. But maybe she'd actually really like it hmmm..... she loved playing with the spring reverb i have, so she would probably get a kick out of it.

Either way, for the moment i'd rather stick with something super simple and super small, preferably super cheap too. Tons of great suggestions so far applause
rohelineoun
I've used a 1002B before. Unless using it on battery power is important, I'd recommend getting a 1202fx instead. Because the design is meant to consume as little power as possible, it has less headroom to work with than other Behringer designs. I use a Mackie 1202 now live but the 1202fx served me well for years. Having a built in digital multi effect would be really helpful for somebody putting their first hardware rig together. Being able to run on batteries was incredibly useful every once in a while but it was less usable than other xenyx mixers when running off its power supply.
blungo2
This is the first tiny mixer i've used that doesn't sound like shit and add tons of extraneous noise to the signal. If you want to use it in stereo, it's only a three channel mixer though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LPT8JY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06 _s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Catmandeux
blungo2 wrote:
This is the first tiny mixer i've used that doesn't sound like shit and add tons of extraneous noise to the signal. If you want to use it in stereo, it's only a three channel mixer though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LPT8JY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06 _s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of the negative comments pertain to noise, and even in the primary description it's not recommended for professional use:

"*The Just Mixer is designed to be more suited for use with non-premium headphones and sound systems."
blungo2
Mine is far less noisy than most mid level mixers i've used. But then again, i'm not using it for "professional" use. I use it with my little battery powered noise rig. Kalimba, microgranny and kastle.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that when i need something small and a little more hi-fi, i use the eventide mixing link. Not many inputs (3 plus fx loop), but it has an acceptable mic pre and is really quiet. Too bad it can't do phanthom power when it's run off a battery...
Corbeau
rohelineoun wrote:
I've used a 1002B before. Unless using it on battery power is important, I'd recommend getting a 1202fx instead. Because the design is meant to consume as little power as possible, it has less headroom to work with than other Behringer designs. I use a Mackie 1202 now live but the 1202fx served me well for years. Having a built in digital multi effect would be really helpful for somebody putting their first hardware rig together. Being able to run on batteries was incredibly useful every once in a while but it was less usable than other xenyx mixers when running off its power supply.

You're referring to the Behringer 1202fx and not the t.mix, correct? I hadn't considered the limitations with battery power, thanks for pointing that out. I feel like battery power might still be ideal, just to keep things as simple as possible. But I'll definitely consider the 1202fx, it looks very capable, and having fx would be a great bonus.

The Just Mixer looks interesting too, especially for the price. Money is tight at the moment so I might seriously consider that one. I think I want to get something a bit higher quality though if I can. The Mixing Link looks great as well! but expensive ufortunately. zombie
mousegarden
A friend got one of these to sub-mix his keyboards, it's cheap, and I must admit, it sounds fine.

Unborn Gore
I got the Yamaha AG06 for just this purpose, and the sound is good for basic set ups and live shows. It doubles as my USB interface, and has worked seamlessly with garageband.
PISS.EXE
1U MIDI controlled mixers
hairbow
Mackie VLZ 802

Having a dedicated aux return makes all the difference, and will encourage better production habits (aux over direct send). Plus they have the most flexible routing. Can be had used for

EDIT: My wife does live PA shows, she still uses an 802 when she plays with a slimmed down setup, its the type of mixer you'll keep for awhile. If you must, the Mackie Mix8 is cheaper and for line level gear it should be fine (although build quality is worse)
srogers
I have the Mackie 802 as well - it's not tiny but it is pretty portable. Definitely a solid option, I also found mine used for $75!
rhythmdial
an old boss bx-80 or bx-60 or km-600 if you can find one for a deal is pretty nice.
also, these don't use wall warts and that is one reason I suggest them
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3