Klavis Twin Waves

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Utopian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Utopian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:41 pm

lisa wrote:Smooth update, supported by "all is well" signs from the LEDs and the screen. Xaoc should look this way. ;)
Not to mention Erica synths...

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:06 pm

sir stony wrote:...and if I feel the need to double up one particular vco module, it'll be that one.
Stayed true to my word. :mrgreen:

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:23 pm

^ quadwaves :fap::fap:
*phnert*

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Fri May 24, 2019 12:33 am

Got one of these recently, great module!
Tried modulating osc 1 parameter with osc 2 at audio rates the other day with both oscs set to sine, some pretty cool sounds came out :guinness:

Is it just me or is using the through zero FM a bit difficult to get melodic sounds? The Lin FM gives those easily with proper ratios.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:20 am

Still love this module to death.

Zentek, I have one small feature request I’d like to add to the laundry list that Twin Waves already has… I love the built-in quantizer feature, but is it possible to add a slew feature to Oscillator 1, possibly controlled via the VCA input in a special mode? The reason I ask is that without this, if you’re using the built-in quantizer, it’s impossible to get portamento. Portamento would require both an external quantizer *and* a slew module, which I don’t have room for in my mobile rack. Any thoughts on this possibility?

Even easier / better implementation: automatic legato portamento (fingered glide) with some constant defined in the settings. In quantized mode, if the pitch changes without the gate going off, it would slew the pitch automatically based on this setting (amount of time, and maybe linear vs expo if a second setting is easy).

Insane idea? I think it’d be incredibly powerful. Thanks for a fantastic module as-is.

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Post by Zentek » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:42 am

soon_come wrote:Zentek, I have one small feature request I’d like to add to the laundry list that Twin Waves already has… I love the built-in quantizer feature, but is it possible to add a slew feature to Oscillator 1, possibly controlled via the VCA input in a special mode?
I have a strange feeling of déjà vu with your request; I think I've already replied elsewhere to the same suggestion. :hmm:

Unfortunately, even without thinking of actual implementation, the stumbling block is that we are at the very end of the CPU resources.
In order to allow selecting any algo freely in both sections (something not available initially), much code as been rewritten for speed because otherwise it crashed.

Currently, in several instances of specific algo combinations we are dancing around 99% resources.
There is definitely no room left to add any real-time computation feature, how light it seems. :cry:

Thank you for the suggestion and for the kind words.

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:46 am

Hi there, lightning fast response, thanks! I actually emailed you about it a while ago but figured it was lost in the shuffle. Sorry about that. I understand re: CPU. I do wonder why I’ve never seen slew as a meta-parameter in any quantizer...

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 pm

I saw on the Perfect Circuit site a review where they say you can lock the tuning on these. Then, even between power cycles, they stay in tune. I've no reason to doubt this but can someone confirm this is true?

I'm looking for a new polyphonic oscillator setup so getting a pair of these and not having to constantly tune them would be a huge plus!

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/klavis-twin-waves.html

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 am

Richard deHove wrote:I saw on the Perfect Circuit site a review where they say you can lock the tuning on these. Then, even between power cycles, they stay in tune. I've no reason to doubt this but can someone confirm this is true?

I'm looking for a new polyphonic oscillator setup so getting a pair of these and not having to constantly tune them would be a huge plus!

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/klavis-twin-waves.html
It is true, Richard. Ref. the manual:

http://www.klavis.com/images/Klavis---T ... l-V1.7.pdf

Note both the instruction for toggling locking and the caveat in the "Troubleshooting" section.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:24 am

Thanks! I wish these had of crossed my path months ago when first looking at polyphony. I'll keep a lookout now for some good deals :)

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Re: Klavis Twin Waves

Post by GregIcky » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Really dig my new twin waves. Though I’ve not had much luck with the bxz mode making anything but noise. Any suggestions?

This is my 3rd Klavis module and they are definitely the slick new cool kid in town that everyone wants to be friends with.

What, I wonder will they be making next???? Would love to know before I run out of room!!!

plutino
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by plutino » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Zentek wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:39 am
Until the latest update, there was an issue with the time window allowed to initiate an update.
A very few modules are temperamental about the right moment to press the buttons. It wasn't easy to identify the problem.

Initially, we found a workaround:
The manual says: [While pressing the Osc2 and Sync buttons, switch on your modular case supply, or press
these two buttons immediately after switching on (within the first half-second)
.]

The second method was not mentioned initially because we had no idea of the problem.

Everything is now OK. This timing issue is fixed in the current firmware revision (1.25).
The current user manual is 1.6

Sorry for the trouble and big thanks for the appreciation and support.

Eric
Not sure how much it matters now but as I was trying to update from 1.25 to 1.33, I had this issue. It didn't work doing the hold and never worked pressing the buttons after powering up. After dozens of times trying the new method (pressing after), I tried the original method and it worked.

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Zentek » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 am

plutino wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm
Not sure how much it matters now but as I was trying to update from 1.25 to 1.33, I had this issue. It didn't work doing the hold and never worked pressing the buttons after powering up. After dozens of times trying the new method (pressing after), I tried the original method and it worked.
Thank you for the feedback.
Sorry for the trouble; my explanation was not OK. :doh:
It all depends on which version the module was first delivered from the factory.
Good to see that you figured it out. :tu:

Have a good time :zen:

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

gelabs
Common Wiggler

Post by gelabs » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 am

Is it just for me or the AM/FM modulations are very noisy at high frequency rates ? (that is, modulating a sine by another sine, BXZ or AM)
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:29 am

gelabs wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 am
Is it just for me or the AM/FM modulations are very noisy at high frequency rates ? (that is, modulating a sine by another sine, BXZ or AM)
I haven't tried it in a while, but when I first got my TW I couldn't get anything usable out of the BXZ setting. I like Klavis products and have a few of them, and I was hoping for some interesting tones using that setting. I'll have to try it again, but I feel like no matter what I did that BXZ setting was just over the top harsh, static-like noise.

Dibek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dibek » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:25 pm

GregIcky wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:29 am
gelabs wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 am
I haven't tried it in a while, but when I first got my TW I couldn't get anything usable out of the BXZ setting. I like Klavis products and have a few of them, and I was hoping for some interesting tones using that setting. I'll have to try it again, but I feel like no matter what I did that BXZ setting was just over the top harsh, static-like noise.
Same here, but i haven´t had my big moment with through zero yet, even the Generate 3 doesn´t gives me the thru zero tones everyone is raving about, must be me :)

i really like my TW anyway.

mr_karlos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mr_karlos » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm

I feel like I am missing out on the true potential of the TW. My feature request is a sound cookbook that has examples that show off the esoteric features of the TW.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:49 pm

I just wanted to pop in to say to Eric - what a truly lovely VCO this is. I am also thinking about picking up a second. If I were building a small portable case, this would be the first module I would add. This is a rich, easy to use Oscillator with a LOT of potential. Thank you - I look forward to future releases!

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 pm

The features of this module is looking perfect to finish off my first case. I have a few modules with menus. Is this easy to use or a bit menu divey? Also does it have state recall between power ups? If so I'm sold. :party:

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:26 pm

lordymosh wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 pm
The features of this module is looking perfect to finish off my first case. I have a few modules with menus. Is this easy to use or a bit menu divey? Also does it have state recall between power ups? If so I'm sold. :party:
I hate menu diving, and I have to say that Twin Waves is quite easy to use. For example, a long press on encoder will scroll a description of the active waveform.

Yes, state is remembered across power cycles.

I suggest downloading and reading the lengthy manual.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS: US only - Mutable Instruments Streams

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:48 pm

pugix wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:26 pm
lordymosh wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 pm
I hate menu diving, and I have to say that Twin Waves is quite easy to use. For example, a long press on encoder will scroll a description of the active waveform.

Yes, state is remembered across power cycles.

I suggest downloading and reading the lengthy manual.
Yes I started reading the manual there. So many features. Looks like a winner!

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:52 pm

Just to add another voice: Yeah, it has a little screen and a push encoder but I don’t find it at all divey. I have two, often taking on four-voice chord duty together.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:57 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:52 pm
Just to add another voice: Yeah, it has a little screen and a push encoder but I don’t find it at all divey. I have two, often taking on four-voice chord duty together.
That’s a great inexpensive way to get poly. Run all 4 through a mixwitch into a filter..... could use a Quadigy for the envelopes and you got a little 4 note poly rack. Not bad, not bad :hihi:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:04 pm

mr_karlos wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm
I feel like I am missing out on the true potential of the TW. My feature request is a sound cookbook that has examples that show off the esoteric features of the TW.
There’s a nice video on YT using it self patched like a complex oscillator. I mainly use it to FM other modules or if I need a quick and easy LFO. There’s still a bunch of stuff I’ve not really tweaked on yet. Like the noise algorithms or the quantizer modes.

Most digital modules are like fine wine to me, they get better with time... takes me a while to explore more sophisticated patching. :despair:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”